LTE. Please explain.

Lxldlse

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I thought I understood that Sprint used CDMA. And that the associated coding was flashed into the phone. But then someone at Verizon told me LTE uses a SIM card in their MiFi devices and LTE allows voice and data at same time. Are these things true? Someone please explain LTE to me. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I thought I understood that Sprint used CDMA. And that the associated coding was flashed into the phone. But then someone at Verizon told me LTE uses a SIM card in their MiFi devices and LTE allows voice and data at same time. Are these things true? Someone please explain LTE to me. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
This is correct for Verizon and their devices. Sprint however doesn't use a SIM card in their phones. Sprint is CDMA/LTE based on all their newest devices since about 1st/2nd quarter of 2012. Prior to this Sprint's network was CDMA/WiMax (4g) but again Sprint still didn't use SIM cards. Sprint does offer both voice/data over 4G/LTE connections on most of their phones supporting this feature now.

LTE in a nutshell without all the fancy talk is high speed internet for mobile devices. Common CDMA/GSM band based phones (3g service) are limited and normally average at best around 1-1.5 mbps download speeds. LTE however allows much much faster network speed and bandwidth to the customers on the network, speeds can reach well into the 30-40+ mbps range on a good day in a strong reception area. Normally most LTE speeds average I'd say at least 5-15 mbps download rates on any network offering LTE (4g). As I said there is a much more complicated and detailed explanation of what LTE and CDMA, etc all mean but for simplicity I covered the basis. :)

Hope this helps.

Google is your best friend try it once

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums
Telling a member looking for help to "search" or "Google" isn't always the best option ;) We all need to help each other out, that's what a community based forum is all about :)

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
This is correct for Verizon and their devices. Sprint however doesn't use a SIM card in their phones. Sprint is CDMA/LTE based on all their newest devices since about 1st/2nd quarter of 2012. Prior to this Sprint's network was CDMA/WiMax (4g) but again Sprint still didn't use SIM cards. Sprint does offer both voice/data over 4G/LTE connections on most of their phones supporting this feature now.

LTE in a nutshell without all the fancy talk is high speed internet for mobile devices. Common CDMA/GSM band based phones (3g service) are limited and normally average at best around 1-1.5 mbps download speeds. LTE however allows much much faster network speed and bandwidth to the customers on the network, speeds can reach well into the 30-40+ mbps range on a good day in a strong reception area. Normally most LTE speeds average I'd say at least 5-15 mbps download rates on any network offering LTE (4g). As I said there is a much more complicated and detailed explanation of what LTE and CDMA, etc all mean but for simplicity I covered the basis. :)

Hope this helps.

Telling a member looking for help to "search" or "Google" isn't always the best option ;) We all need to help each other out, that's what a community based forum is all about :)

Sprint lte uses a sim card. Just one that you can't remove

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Hope this helps.

I agree. I've gotten a lot of help with questions that I've had from cool ppl who took a few min of their time to help out. If u can't help or answer a question then don't type anything. And have a blessed day

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and my girlfriend sleeps on the couch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Sprint lte uses a sim card. Just one that you can't remove

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
Good point, I forget about that... Its non removable so I don't really even consider it being there. Thanks for mentioning.

Csan508

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Also here soon they will be converting to iden for voice due to the fact that they got a contract with fema and with that being said all of our phones have a sim that's for voice over iden and then they are going to use there other bands for lte

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Also here soon they will be converting to iden for voice due to the fact that they got a contract with fema and with that being said all of our phones have a sim that's for voice over iden and then they are going to use there other bands for lte

I think you've been misinformed.

First of all, Sprint is not switching to iDEN for voice. It's a completely different network, incompatible with their current CDMA network. What you may have heard is that Sprint is shutting down the iDEN network and using the extra spectrum to deploy 1xAdvanced over the 800MHz SMR frequency, which is currently being used by iDEN. iDEN is going away, sooner rather than later. There is no way in a bajillion years that Sprint would be moving to iDEN for voice right now.

Second, I haven't heard anything about a contract between Sprint and FEMA, but I'd assume that it only applies in the case of natural disasters. If you have a source, I would be interested to know. But I can assure you that the FEMA contract has no bearing on Sprint shutting down iDEN and using the 800MHz spectrum for voice. Sprint has been planning the iDEN shutdown for years now, entirely on its own.

Third, the SIMs in Sprint phones are for LTE, not iDEN voice. Like I said before, iDEN has nothing to do with the current network upgrades and is entirely incompatible with Sprint's current network. I have no idea where you got the idea that Sprint would move to iDEN, but you probably shouldn't trust that source. It won't happen.

Csan508

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Okay I know that I don't word things right so I am going to retry this again

Yes you are right about the iden network but here's the main problem that a lot of people are having when a natural disaster happens a lot of people go to their iden phones because they know that in a pinch they will always have service due to the fact that it does run on a lower frequently then anyone else now with the Evo 4G LTE we are supposed to have hd voice and a ton of other features that we are all waiting for the iden network to die and with hd voice the phone will be using the iden frequently to access the network

So I hope I clearfive what I was saying

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I think you've been misinformed.

First of all, Sprint is not switching to iDEN for voice. It's a completely different network, incompatible with their current CDMA network. What you may have heard is that Sprint is shutting down the iDEN network and using the extra spectrum to deploy 1xAdvanced over the 800MHz SMR frequency, which is currently being used by iDEN. iDEN is going away, sooner rather than later. There is no way in a bajillion years that Sprint would be moving to iDEN for voice right now.

Second, I haven't heard anything about a contract between Sprint and FEMA, but I'd assume that it only applies in the case of natural disasters. If you have a source, I would be interested to know. But I can assure you that the FEMA contract has no bearing on Sprint shutting down iDEN and using the 800MHz spectrum for voice. Sprint has been planning the iDEN shutdown for years now, entirely on its own.

Third, the SIMs in Sprint phones are for LTE, not iDEN voice. Like I said before, iDEN has nothing to do with the current network upgrades and is entirely incompatible with Sprint's current network. I have no idea where you got the idea that Sprint would move to iDEN, but you probably shouldn't trust that source. It won't happen.

The news about the FEMA order was for there new Direct Connect PTT phones and the news came out in the last few weeks.

Csan508

May 12, 2012
Visit site
And am I right about how they like how the iden network handles their needs?

Because isn't that where iden shines and why sprint decided to go the route of iden for their frequently for their 1x advanced for ptt and voice and texting

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
And am I right about how they like how the iden network handles their needs?

Because isn't that where iden shines and why sprint decided to go the route of iden for their frequently for their 1x advanced for ptt and voice and texting

Direct Connect isn't IDEN, It is CDMA like QChat.

Csan508

May 12, 2012
Visit site
But what I mean is that when everything is all said and done that the 1x advanced is pretty much going to be on the iden frequently vs cdma

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
But what I mean is that when everything is all said and done that the 1x advanced is pretty much going to be on the iden frequently vs cdma

But IDEN isn't the frequencies, it is a protocol that is still being used in Mexico and South America. Just forget about IDEN unless you are using 2 way radios that use the protocol. Notice, i didn't say phones, i said radios.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12