Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Dnomyar220's Avatar

    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

    Default Tampa Bay 4G LTE

    All,

    I've seen a few recent posts about people picking up a 4G signal around Tampa Bay and wanted to get an official thread started so people could post results as they come in. I was in Largo today and had full 4G coverage. Not sure if it was live or just testing... Speedtest.net wouldn't complete the upload portion but I was downloading between 2-6 mbps.

    What's everyone else seeing? I live by Tampa International Airport and so far nothing...

    Sent from my S3 w/ Tapatalk
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  
    Dnomyar220's Avatar

    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

    Default Re: Tampa Bay 4G LTE

    And an update... Holy balls. This is in Largo still:

    Sent from my S3 w/ Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tampa Bay 4G LTE-uploadfromtaptalk1358279411314.jpg  
  3. #3  
    Melaza's Avatar

    Posts
    268 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts

    Default Re: Tampa Bay 4G LTE

    I wasn't as lucky with those speeds, but I'll take it... This is in Thonotosassa north of Brandon... I'll keep checking to see what other places have it

    Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tampa Bay 4G LTE-uploadfromtaptalk1358349125966.jpg  
    Sent from my Note Edge
    Dnomyar220 likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Dnomyar220's Avatar

    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

    Default Re: Tampa Bay 4G LTE

    Got another 4G spot now north of Fletcher between 275 and 75

    Sent from my S3 w/ Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tampa Bay 4G LTE-uploadfromtaptalk1358392516921.jpg  
    Melaza likes this.
  5. #5  
    Melaza's Avatar

    Posts
    268 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts

    Default Re: Tampa Bay 4G LTE

    Just found this app that helps track and show the 4G spots

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ensorly.viewer

    :thumbup:

    Sent from my EVO 4G LTE
    Sent from my Note Edge
    Dnomyar220 likes this.
  6. #6  
    italianotampa's Avatar

    Posts
    241 Posts
    Global Posts
    263 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Tampa Bay 4G LTE

    Quote Originally Posted by Melaza View Post
    I wasn't as lucky with those speeds, but I'll take it... This is in Thonotosassa north of Brandon... I'll keep checking to see what other places have it

    Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    What road/intersection was this taken at? It hasn't shown up on the Sensorly app yet.
    I'm hooked!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    Dnomyar220's Avatar

    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

    Default Re: Tampa Bay 4G LTE

    Quote Originally Posted by tampaflusa View Post
    What road/intersection was this taken at? It hasn't shown up on the Sensorly app yet.
    Make sure you select Sprint LTE when you click on coverage maps within the app. Appears to be working ok on my S3, Here's a screen shot of some of the LTE spots I'm seeing within the app. Seems to align with what I've witnessed in person.

    Sent from my S3 w/ Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tampa Bay 4G LTE-uploadfromtaptalk1358403504808.jpg  
  8. #8  
    italianotampa's Avatar

    Posts
    241 Posts
    Global Posts
    263 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Tampa Bay 4G LTE

    Quote Originally Posted by Dnomyar220 View Post
    Make sure you select Sprint LTE when you click on coverage maps within the app. Appears to be working ok on my S3, Here's a screen shot of some of the LTE spots I'm seeing within the app. Seems to align with what I've witnessed in person.

    Sent from my S3 w/ Tapatalk
    You mentioned Thononosassa though, I thought you meant that's where the speed test was taken.
    I'm hooked!
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    Dnomyar220's Avatar

    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

    Default Re: Tampa Bay 4G LTE

    Quote Originally Posted by tampaflusa View Post
    You mentioned Thononosassa though, I thought you meant that's where the speed test was taken.
    Sorry that was actually Melaza above which took that speed test, not too familiar with that specific area.

    Sent from my S3 w/ Tapatalk
  10. #10  
    Melaza's Avatar

    Posts
    268 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts

    Default Re: Tampa Bay 4G LTE

    To be more specific yeah it was @ Thonotosassa Rd and McIntosh by the circle K

    I'll get more snap shots today depending where I'm at.

    I didn't have when I took the snap shot.

    Sent from my EVO 4G LTE
    Sent from my Note Edge
  11. #11  
    Melaza's Avatar

    Posts
    268 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts

    Default Re: Tampa Bay 4G LTE

    Here's the area I got 4G yesterday

    Sent from my EVO 4G LTE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tampa Bay 4G LTE-uploadfromtaptalk1358460052673.jpg  
    Sent from my Note Edge
    Thanked by:
  12. #12  
    italianotampa's Avatar

    Posts
    241 Posts
    Global Posts
    263 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Tampa Bay 4G LTE

    Quote Originally Posted by Melaza View Post
    Here's the area I got 4G yesterday

    Sent from my EVO 4G LTE
    Yep I went by there and mapped it on Sensorly, thank you.
    I'm hooked!
    Melaza likes this.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Tampa Bay 4G LTE

    Yup me too i finally got 4G aswell very impressed with the speed

    Sent from my GS3🙌
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tampa Bay 4G LTE-uploadfromtaptalk1359526439622.jpg  
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Tampa Bay 4G LTE

    Here is a speedtest result 👍



    Sent from my GS3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tampa Bay 4G LTE-uploadfromtaptalk1359526672936.jpg  
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Tampa Bay 4G LTE

    So, yesterday, I took I-275 from Ulmerton to I-4 to I-75 south down to Gibsonton. It showed as 4G for almost the entire route on the interstates on the sensorly maps. However, I couldn't get a 4G signal to come through except for a few short times. And during those times, it held 4G for only a few seconds, and couldn't get > 0 on ANY speed tests when it showed 4G. Once I was near the Boyette/301 intersection and stopped at a light, I was able to cycle it through airplane mode and catch 4G and actually got 17Mbps download speed! I guess if you are standing still in a VERY narrow strip where they have 4G, you will get fast service. However, if you're moving, or in ANY other section of the area, you will only be able to get 3G. And from what I've found, Sprint is HORRIBLE at switching from 3G to 4G automatically when 4g is available and strong. So, it seems like it's still not worth the battery drain to leave it on the LTE mobile network setting on Sprint, which is VERY disappointing.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    Dnomyar220's Avatar

    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

    Default Re: Tampa Bay 4G LTE

    Quote Originally Posted by GoBlueDevils View Post
    So, yesterday, I took I-275 from Ulmerton to I-4 to I-75 south down to Gibsonton. It showed as 4G for almost the entire route on the interstates on the sensorly maps. However, I couldn't get a 4G signal to come through except for a few short times. And during those times, it held 4G for only a few seconds, and couldn't get > 0 on ANY speed tests when it showed 4G. Once I was near the Boyette/301 intersection and stopped at a light, I was able to cycle it through airplane mode and catch 4G and actually got 17Mbps download speed! I guess if you are standing still in a VERY narrow strip where they have 4G, you will get fast service. However, if you're moving, or in ANY other section of the area, you will only be able to get 3G. And from what I've found, Sprint is HORRIBLE at switching from 3G to 4G automatically when 4g is available and strong. So, it seems like it's still not worth the battery drain to leave it on the LTE mobile network setting on Sprint, which is VERY disappointing.
    Keep in mind that 4G hasn't officially rolled out here yet. I would expect (fingers crossed) that his will improve significantly as they build out the network here.

    Sent from my S3 w/ Tapatalk
  17. #17  
    Melaza's Avatar

    Posts
    268 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts

    Default Re: Tampa Bay 4G LTE

    From what I've read your phone doesn't constantly look for LTE signal. But I've found areas where it works one day and the next day nothing, but its not official yet and if you keep looking at the map the coverage area keeps getting bigger wich is a big plus... This app is helpful to force your phone to search for LTE

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.ltediscovery


    Sent from my EVO 4G LTE
    Sent from my Note Edge
  18. #18  
    P. Doeboy's Avatar

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Tampa Bay 4G LTE

    To everyone updating on sensorly: Good looking out :-). Here's hoping for more bars around USF, Brandon, Riverview and Valrico.

    Having a gnex with no lte is like driving a Ferrari through a school zone.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
  19. #19  
    Melaza's Avatar

    Posts
    268 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts

    Default Re: Tampa Bay 4G LTE

    Starting to get LTE in Plant City :thumbup: just got it at my house :thumbup:

    Sent from my EVO 4G LTE
    Sent from my Note Edge
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Tampa Bay 4G LTE

    Bumping this to see if anyone else has extra info
  21. #21  
    Melaza's Avatar

    Posts
    268 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts

    Default Re: Tampa Bay 4G LTE

    All I can say is Tampa Bay keeps getting more and more purple :thumbup:

    Sent from my EVO 4G LTE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tampa Bay 4G LTE-uploadfromtaptalk1362085842685.jpg  
    Sent from my Note Edge
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  
    Dnomyar220's Avatar

    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

    Default Re: Tampa Bay 4G LTE

    Quote Originally Posted by Melaza View Post
    All I can say is Tampa Bay keeps getting more and more purple :thumbup:

    Sent from my EVO 4G LTE
    Yes, and still no official announcement from sprint as far as I know...

    Sent from my S3 w/ Tapatalk
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Tampa Bay 4G LTE

    For some reason I get signal on the street 100 feet from my apartment but not in my apartment. I hope they make the signal stronger.
  24. #24  
    Melaza's Avatar

    Posts
    268 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts

    Default Re: Tampa Bay 4G LTE

    Don't know about that but they're adding or should I say upgrading LTE towers all over the place

    Sent from my EVO 4G LTE
    Sent from my Note Edge
  25. #25  
    lilotimz's Avatar

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

    Default Re: Tampa Bay 4G LTE

    Each cell site is engineered for a specific radius and distance taking account the local topography and population density. In more urban areas, each site have extreme downtilt and may cover only a few blocks while in the rurals a site on a tall boomer can reach in excess of 10 miles if the lands flat enough.

    If the LTE signals fall off just short of you or if its pretty bad (110db +), it means that area you're in is in the zone of another closer cell site which will service you.
    Thanked by:
    Melaza 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-20-2012, 09:53 AM
  2. 4g lte hints in SF Bay Area
    By jerrykur in forum Sprint
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-31-2012, 09:19 PM
  3. Tampa 4G LTE
    By tyrelian in forum Sprint Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-21-2012, 02:38 PM
  4. When is LTE coming to the Tampa Bay area?
    By makris0000 in forum Sprint Galaxy S3
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-25-2012, 11:24 PM
  5. Verizon 4G LTE Commercial
    By Preach2k in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-24-2010, 02:31 PM

Posting Permissions