Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Default Re: Is Sprint really Floundering?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    ... an unlimited/non throttled carrier.
    When speeds are only 30kbps you could argue everyone is being "throttled"...

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
    johnriii likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Sort of off topic here in a sense but lets not forget Sprint is also the major name/sponsor of NASCAR Sprint Cup Series which despite your thoughts on NASCAR is a huge investment for Sprint and the return I'm sure has reaped decent rewards in new customers and pushing the Sprint product.

All being said I think Sprint has their eggs in the right baskets its just a matter of time for things to pool together like the buyout of ClearWire, NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and many other ventures that will pay off in the end as Sprint completes the ongoing task of upgrading its entire network and yet still manages to remain an unlimited/non throttled carrier.
    Nba sponsorship is good. You can listen to games live withthe app too.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by djw39 View Post
    When speeds are only 30kbps you could argue everyone is being "throttled"...

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
    That's true in a sense. But that is due to sub par 3g network. Not Sprint intentionally throttling us.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central
    Ry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bearballz72 View Post
    The Chicago, Houston, Atlanta, Baltimore metro areas are small?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    As well as Fort Worth and Dallas.....thats nearly 2million people right there
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

We(Chicago)are 2 million + by ourselves lol

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Sprint isn't going anywhere folks.. If anything time is coming soon for one of the big two to fall back and others to step up.

It's a normal cycle we go thru every few years...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central
    Darth Spock likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #57  

Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    We(Chicago)are 2 million + by ourselves lol

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Factor in the entire Chicago metro area and it's over 9 million people.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #58  

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    I would also argue that AT&T is floundering. They seem to be way behind on LTE and it appears that without the iPhone, they're struggling for subscriptions. Sprint is very expensive considering the network issues and device selection issues. If you're going to play "the bargain" network, you should attempt to be substantially cheaper than your competition.
    It's funny how things work out. If I remember the story behind the first Iphone correctly. Apple actually hit up Verizon first about carrying it and they said no thanks. Then they hit up At&t and they said Ok (but the first Iphone wasn't subsidized). But from what I've read At&t had a solid 3rd quarter and had record sales for Android devices.

But yeah At&t is still rolling out their LTE network as well.
    Darth Spock likes this.

Decent Data speeds, good pricing. In a year it'll be great. Been told that for a while, but it's no reason to hate. There's a lot of hoops to jump through to build a whole new LTE network and when your competition has a huge leg up on you, it's hard to catch up. But Sprint will be there soon and I know it's worth the wait (and money).
    Darth Spock likes this.

It's more accurate to say that Sprint is being haunted by its past. Sprint's been in a tight position - owning a crappy network with limited spectrum, but not having the cash to do anything about it. Over the last 7 years Sprint's lost nearly $50 billion largely due the failed Nextel acquisition ($30 billion) and losses from operations ($19 billion). That's a HUGE chunk of change when you consider that they're only spending $7 billion on the network vision upgrade. The Nextel acquisition didn't pan out because while they did gain the 800 mhz spectrum, they were locked into using it for push-to-talk by the FCC and they lost 3.1 million customers in the deal.

Sprint couldn't choose LTE when they started down the WiMax road because they didn't have enough spectrum for FD-LTE and TD-LTE wasn't an option at that time. The FCC's change of heart letting Sprint move push-to-talk from a dedicated network to an app made it possible for Sprint to build an LTE network on the 800 mhz spectrum.

The current misery of slow 3G speeds is a combination of overselling service to MVNOs (to raise cash), offering and promoting unlimited data to most of their customers (to give them some reason to stay) and jumping in the iPhone (to slow the churn). While they are turning the network around it's going to take time.

While I applaud Sprint's move to LTE, they seem to be placing a priority on style over substance - announcing rollouts when only 20% of the towers in a market are converted, almost weekly announcements of new cities being added to the rollout list but no firm schedules for many regions. I don't give a rip about which 36 cities Sprint is starting upgrades on I care about my region. I think most users would just know when to expect LTE rather than the constant announcements that don't really say much.

The other customer oppression stems from the hardware fallout over their 4G u-turn. While I understand the WiMax spectrum is much more valuable if it's repurposed for TD-LTE that leaves many customers with some hard choices when selecting a new phone. I live in an area with excellent WiMax coverage, but no LTE and no indication from Sprint on when they plan on rolling it out. I can either get a 2-year old NEW WiMax phone to have something other than 3G knowing that I can use it through 2015 OR I can buy a shiny NEW LTE-equipped phone and be stuck using it on 3G (but still paying the $10/mo. premium data charge) until whenever Sprint decides to roll out 4G in my area. Would it be that hard to make a new WiMax phone or a new dual WiMax/4G phone?
    Synycalwon and Darth Spock like this.

ROM
    CM10

Quote Originally Posted by SERO wireless View Post
    Would it be that hard to make a new WiMax phone or a new dual WiMax/4G phone?
    Yes. It would. Part of the reason for the massive adoption of LTE on the major carriers is that current SoCs are built with LTE radios and antennae in mind, whereas that does not exist with Wimax. Sprint would have to shell out money for Samsung or HTC or Qualcomm or whoever to develop a compatible Wimax chip. That's not just extra R&D costs, either. That's extra production costs and a much lower profit margin when, as you've already pointed out, Sprint is already struggling to stay afloat. It's not worth the costs. Plus, it would just create more confusion with customers wondering what's the difference between Wimax and "4G" if they're capable of the same speeds, which one's better, which will drain the battery more, etc. It would just be a huge mess for everyone involved.

You're assuming some facts and ignoring others.

Sprint relaunched the Samsung Galaxy SII in December as the Samsung Galaxy SII Titanium. All the specs were the same (including the WiMax radio), but it came in a new color. I didn't hear much about, "confusion" for that product.

Forcing customers to buy 4G phones that they can only use on a 3G network has a cost too.

ROM
    CM10

I'd assume that the new GS2 didn't sell nearly as well as the S3 because a lot fewer people cared. It didn't matter that it was new and had a Wimax radio because the market for the phone was smaller, and most people choosing the S2 knew what they were getting into. The others were most likely too budget-conscious to even care about what network they were connected to. And this doesn't even touch on the fact that the R&D and production costs are still way too high to introduce a brand new model with Wimax, regardless of customer confusion (and there's already enough confusion; even Sprint reps are often clueless of which type of 4G the S3 uses, let alone new Sprint customers who don't care enough about smartphones to research anything).

And no one's forcing anyone to buy a new phone, let alone a new 4G phone. If a person happens to be in the market for a new phone and wants a 4G-capable phone right now, then he'll have to inform himself of the current state of the network upgrade and decide if he will be OK with 3G until LTE gets rolled out to his area. If he's not OK with that, then he has 3 options: keep his current Wimax phone until LTE hits his market; go to VZW, AT&T, or T-Mobile permanently; or get a prepaid (or non-contract) phone plan with SimpleMobile, Straight Talk, T-Mobile or someone else until LTE hits his area, then go back to Sprint.
    Darth Spock likes this.

You're making my other point. True, no one is making anyone buy a new phone, but it's impossible to get a straight answer out of Sprint about when it is rolling out 4G service and where so that they can make an informed decision about whether or what phone to purchase. Intel from captured VC (another thread in the Sprint forum) indicates that Sprint has started work on the 4G network in Portland, but there are no official announcements about even starting work in Oregon much less a completion date. If they follow the same pattern they've used in other areas - upgrading a bare bones 20% of the towers in the market, holding a press release saying the network is ready in the city and then moving on to the next, "rollout" - that doesn't even help if your home or workplace are only served by the 80% of non-LTE towers. It's more like a soap opera than a wireless service:

How many months/years will it take Sprint to finish the other 80% of towers?
    Which towers will be the 20% that get upgraded in the first pass?
    If the Softbank merger doesn't go through will Sprint's 4G network remain a half-built, stillborn curiosity (like their WiMax network)?
    Will the board revolt and fire Dan Hesse if the Softbank merger fails or will proof surface of the accusations that he was born a woman forcing him to resign in disgrace?

Stay tuned next week to find out !!! (or jump carriers)

Global Posts
    6,435 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by SERO wireless View Post
    You're making my other point. True, no one is making anyone buy a new phone, but it's impossible to get a straight answer out of Sprint about when it is rolling out 4G service and where so that they can make an informed decision about whether or what phone to purchase. Intel from captured VC (another thread in the Sprint forum) indicates that Sprint has started work on the 4G network in Portland, but there are no official announcements about even starting work in Oregon much less a completion date. If they follow the same pattern they've used in other areas - upgrading a bare bones 20% of the towers in the market, holding a press release saying the network is ready in the city and then moving on to the next, "rollout" - that doesn't even help if your home or workplace are only served by the 80% of non-LTE towers. It's more like a soap opera than a wireless service:

How many months/years will it take Sprint to finish the other 80% of towers?
    Which towers will be the 20% that get upgraded in the first pass?
    If the Softbank merger doesn't go through will Sprint's 4G network remain a half-built, stillborn curiosity (like their WiMax network)?
    Will the board revolt and fire Dan Hesse if the Softbank merger fails or will proof surface of the accusations that he was born a woman forcing him to resign in disgrace?

Stay tuned next week to find out !!! (or jump carriers)
    Seems like one m must make the decision based on what exists now since all carriers are pretty coy about their plans.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    Seems like one m must make the decision based on what exists now since all carriers are pretty coy about their plans.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    They have to be. Would you expect any other company to divulge proprietary information just so a consumer can make a purchasing decision? Should Ford let you know their plans for what vehicles they have planned for the next two years so you can decide if you should buy now or wait? And if they do divulge their plans, and you decide to wait to purchase, but something falls through because of unforeseen circumstances, they have a ticked off consumer.

Sprint is announcing markets when they have the build out planned. We do know they have said that NV is supposed to be completed by the end of 2013. Will it be 100% of all their towers? I doubt it, but this just reinforces my argument above. They've given a date, and that STILL is not good enough for people. And if they miss that date people will crucify them for it. It's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation for Sprint.

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

Community Blog List - Sprint 4G Rollout Updates my friend if you wish to look for actual information about sprints LTE rollout and for healthy discussions on telecom tech and stuff like that. Work has begun in the Oregon market and so will the rest of Samsungs markets in the coming month or two. Their deployment is more of a "shotgun" approach in that there is not really much of a plan other than if a tower is ready and a crew is ready then they'll work on that tower regardless if it's in the middle of nowhere, a small town, or a big city. When a site is ready, they'll work on it. Big cities will take longer than the smaller ones thanks to the higher cell site density. If two cities began at once, but one is a smaller city with ~ 80 towers and another is a big one with 200-300 sites, the one with the smaller amount of towers will be launched first because at the same amount of completion, the smaller city with the same amount of upgraded towers as the big one will have a bigger impact than the same amount in the larger city. 60/80 sites completed is much more meaningful and significant than 60/300.

But yep. Should read this piece about how internal stuff is going on @sprint.
    Sprint internal correspondence discusses Network Vision Progress/Issues with Employees - Sprint 4G Rollout Updates
    Darth Spock likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,838 Global Posts

a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #69  

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    And?
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,838 Global Posts

And?
    Oh was I supposed to add commentary?
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #71  

And, they beat analysts projections :-)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Seems to me that Sprint is trying to recoup from the Nextel merger and consolidate it's Nextel customers first, rather than burning up cash by trying to directly compete with AT&T and take new LTE customers.

Seems like a pretty smart move to me. Pick the low hanging fruit before you go up. Yes, they may lose some people to AT&T, but they're losing less people on the Nextel network otherwise

http://m.cnet.com/news/sprints-comin...-hope/57568226

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

I've been with sprint for years, and they rock!

Remember what the doormouse said, feed your head!

ROM
    KK 4.4.3

And, they beat analysts projections :-)
    They did beat analysts' expectations, which is good, and they had overall positive subscriber growth. However, compared to the profits reported by Verizon and AT&T, they reported a loss (and not an insignificant one). Hence, the public perception that Sprint is floundering.

You originally asked if Sprint was really floundering. My argument (and Ry's too, I believe) is that the public perception is yes, Sprint is floundering, because NV has not advanced to a point where it impacts the public view of Sprint. Now, given the earnings report and knowing the challenges Sprint has faced and what they've managed to accomplish so far regarding NV roll-out, I think they have a good chance of eventually turning that public perception around. I hope they do. Sprint is a good carrier, and the US desperately needs many viable carriers in order to counteract the general horribleness of our wireless environment.

I'm willing to bet that the day Sprint reports a profit will be the day the public slaps them on the back and says, "Congratulations, you've made it out of the wilderness."
    Thanked by 3:
    Ry likes this.

No.. It's not floundering.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast