Anyone else with a Sprint Airvana having Error Code 97 when texting?

bawalker

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Hello all.

I have an issue here with texting only that I'm almost certain is due to a problem with the Sprint Airvana (femotcell device). Just last week I purchased a new Samsung Galaxy Note 2 that immediately had problems being unable to activate here at home where I only have an Airvana, no cell towers within 20 miles. Afterwards I called Sprint after noticing I was not getting any text messages at all. The Spring rep had me update my PRL and my Profile which didn't immediately work. Afterwards I took time to root the phone as described here on Android Central and still noticed my texts were late in coming in. When trying to send texts I would get:

"Code : 97
Account Error: Message not sent. Please contact customer care and report a code 97 when sending messages."

However, late Saturday night I began to have the ability to send and receive messages just fine after finding instructions online that indicated I place the phone in Plane mode, reboot the Airvana and then take the phone out of plane mode. That must have worked because I was then able to text just fine on Saturday and all day Sunday. This morning (Monday) has been a different story as I have not been able to receive any texts except 3 that have repeated themselves 15+ times each from the 3 different senders. Everytime when trying to send a text out I am unable and get the message above. The plane mode trick no longer works.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

I called Sprint again this afternoon who indicated that this was a known issue and "they are working on it". Usual message for the "Yeah I've heard of this and have no personal clue what is being done about it and I want to get this call over with."

Thanks!

bdecastro77

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Had same problem.. Sprint tech that helped me was on point and knew exactly what to do
First.. Turn off both phone and Airave
Second.. Turn phone back on and send text
Third.. Turn Airave back on and let it reboot until all four green lights shows
Fourth.. Send text again
Fifth.. Reset Airave once more to stop repetitive text from coming..

These steps worked a charm for me and my S3.. Hope this helps you

Cash Money Castro

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Had same problem.. Sprint tech that helped me was on point and knew exactly what to do
Fourth.. Send text again

Cash Money Castro

I did that with my airave. Only for it to send multiple texts again after a day or two. I have since sent back the airave to sprint and will be changing carriers soon

Sent from my Coconut Wireless

bawalker

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I discovered the ONLY solution to this is to call Sprint and mention the "Error 97" when trying to send texts. They will send out a new Airave 2.5 unit (smaller version of the Airvana) which activates much quicker and immediately solves the problem. The above is a temp work around that only works around 25% of the time... at best.

uscpsycho

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I discovered the ONLY solution to this is to call Sprint and mention the "Error 97" when trying to send texts. They will send out a new Airave 2.5 unit (smaller version of the Airvana) which activates much quicker and immediately solves the problem. The above is a temp work around that only works around 25% of the time... at best.
Airave 2.5 is not the solution. I have an Airave 2.5 and this problem started within 24 hours of activation, although it was fine at first.

My parents have an Airave 2 and I've never had this problem there.
Fourth.. Send text again

Cash Money Castro
This is a lot of work. For me the fix was to put my phone in airplane mode (or turn it off) then power cycle the Airave and wait for all the lights to go green. Then put your phone back into service.

I haven't tried this extensively but just read the fix on the sprint.com forums and it worked for me. I think it's a means to the same end but fewer steps.

woodsdmd

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I have been having the same issue with text messaging and got the "Known issue" run around from Sprint. The strange thing is both my Evo 3D and my wife's Nexus S work fine only my daughters Evo 4g lte is effected. The problem is not constant and sometimes the airplane mode trick works and sometimes it doesn't. Weird. I hope Sprint is really working on this.

bawalker

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
The only solution I found was to get the updated 2.5 version of the Airave from Sprint. They sent me a new one at no charge when I mentioned the error code 97 problem. Been problem free since.

woodsdmd

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I have been having the same issue with text messaging and got the "Known issue" run around from Sprint. The strange thing is both my Evo 3D and my wife's Nexus S work fine only my daughters Evo 4g lte is effected. The problem is not constant and sometimes the airplane mode trick works and sometimes it doesn't. Weird. I hope Sprint is really working on this.

I have the airave 2.5.

harrychimp71

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, this did not work for my Note 2. I have an S III as well, and never had an issue with the Airave.
Glad it worked for you.
Time to call Sprint.

Fourth.. Send text again

Cash Money Castro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995