FCC to delay Sprint/Softbank merger.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Well that's lame. I really hope it doesn't stop their LTE roll out plan. Sprint has been on a roll with it lately. Every few weeks they have been adding 4-5 new LTE markets it seems.

Nophix

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Isn't Verizon owned by Vodafone and Tmo by DT??

Softbank is a Japanese company, what's the issue?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site

There is no issue. It's standard procedure when foreign companies invest so heavily in American companies. The T-Mobile/MetroPCS deal has the same procedure. Blogs just blew this way out of proportion.

Mitri360

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site

There's a belief that foreign countries are trying to tap into our communications systems in some elaborate scheme. Mainly China, but Japan as well. The company huaewai I believe was also blocked from making cellphone equipment for the us for same reasons. I'll link an article when I can find it.

What's more concerning than them blocking this is dish network blocking this. They're attempting to. And if they take over clear instead of Sprint I don't think it'll be a good thing. That while company is made up of half don't great ideas. I worked for them for 3 years. Great plans, but they don't come out until late, or not at all. Imagine when they get a hold of potential phone space.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
There's a belief that foreign countries are trying to tap into our communications systems in some elaborate scheme. Mainly China, but Japan as well. The company huaewai I believe was also blocked from making cellphone equipment for the us for same reasons. I'll link an article when I can find it.

What's more concerning than them blocking this is dish network blocking this. They're attempting to. And if they take over clear instead of Sprint I don't think it'll be a good thing. That while company is made up of half don't great ideas. I worked for them for 3 years. Great plans, but they don't come out until late, or not at all. Imagine when they get a hold of potential phone space.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

I was reading that Sprint does do business with the U.S. government and military so that's probably the reason for the delay. Considering the U.S. has good relations with Japan and a pretty strong military presence in the region I don't think it's any kind of major issue. It's probably more regulatory red tape than anything else.

If it was China then that would be another story, considering the allegations that have recently come up with Huawei and ZTE.

As for the Dish deal with Clearwire, Sprint has 51% controlling interest in Clearwire so they can nix any deal. If Sprint really wants to compete with Verizon and At&t they'll need that gold mine of spectrum Cleawire is sitting on.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781