Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default FCC to delay Sprint/Softbank merger.

Always seems one step forward, two steps back for Sprint.

Apparently it has to do with national security concerns. Hopefully this is only a minor bump in the road.

US Justice Department asks FCC to delay Sprint's merger with Softbank (update: Sprint statement)
    Last edited by bearballz72; 01-29-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Default Re: FCC to delay Sprint/Softbank merger.

Bummer. Always trying to keep Sprint from moving forward.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Well that's lame. I really hope it doesn't stop their LTE roll out plan. Sprint has been on a roll with it lately. Every few weeks they have been adding 4-5 new LTE markets it seems.
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    My Blog: C2JBlog.com

Global Posts
    404 Global Posts
    ROM
    Which phone?

Isn't Verizon owned by Vodafone and Tmo by DT??

Softbank is a Japanese company, what's the issue?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 5
    Kindle Fire

ROM
    CM10

Quote Originally Posted by Nophix View Post

There is no issue. It's standard procedure when foreign companies invest so heavily in American companies. The T-Mobile/MetroPCS deal has the same procedure. Blogs just blew this way out of proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by Nophix View Post

There's a belief that foreign countries are trying to tap into our communications systems in some elaborate scheme. Mainly China, but Japan as well. The company huaewai I believe was also blocked from making cellphone equipment for the us for same reasons. I'll link an article when I can find it.

What's more concerning than them blocking this is dish network blocking this. They're attempting to. And if they take over clear instead of Sprint I don't think it'll be a good thing. That while company is made up of half don't great ideas. I worked for them for 3 years. Great plans, but they don't come out until late, or not at all. Imagine when they get a hold of potential phone space.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri360 View Post
    There's a belief that foreign countries are trying to tap into our communications systems in some elaborate scheme. Mainly China, but Japan as well. The company huaewai I believe was also blocked from making cellphone equipment for the us for same reasons. I'll link an article when I can find it.

What's more concerning than them blocking this is dish network blocking this. They're attempting to. And if they take over clear instead of Sprint I don't think it'll be a good thing. That while company is made up of half don't great ideas. I worked for them for 3 years. Great plans, but they don't come out until late, or not at all. Imagine when they get a hold of potential phone space.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    I was reading that Sprint does do business with the U.S. government and military so that's probably the reason for the delay. Considering the U.S. has good relations with Japan and a pretty strong military presence in the region I don't think it's any kind of major issue. It's probably more regulatory red tape than anything else.

If it was China then that would be another story, considering the allegations that have recently come up with Huawei and ZTE.

As for the Dish deal with Clearwire, Sprint has 51% controlling interest in Clearwire so they can nix any deal. If Sprint really wants to compete with Verizon and At&t they'll need that gold mine of spectrum Cleawire is sitting on.
    Last edited by bearballz72; 02-02-2013 at 11:16 AM.