Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Just moved to T-Mobile from Sprint, loving it.

    I just purchased the Nexus 4 a few days ago and moved my number to T-Mobile for their $60 prepaid plans and I am loving the switch, I don't know why I didn't do it sooner. I was with Sprint for 11 years and I honestly didn't know how bad the service is. I am consistently getting 5 Mbs on HSPA+ in Los Angeles, whereas on 3G I was getting maybe 0.2 and maybe 3 Mbs on 4G for the sprint network.

    I only pay $60 a month including tax, and even with the corporate discount I used to get at Sprint, it has been the best move I've made. I can't imagine going back, and I don't think there is anything sprint can do to catch up to AT&T or Verizon on the service front, especially not while the DOJ is thinking of stalling the Softbank merger.

    Service has been great, love the unlocked Nexus 4, don't think I will go back to a CDMA carrier for the foreseeable future.
  2. #2  
    cgardnervt's Avatar

    Posts
    2,678 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

    Default Re: Just moved to T-Mobile from Sprint, loving it.

    Quote Originally Posted by ashakouri1 View Post
    I just purchased the Nexus 4 a few days ago and moved my number to T-Mobile for their $60 prepaid plans and I am loving the switch, I don't know why I didn't do it sooner. I was with Sprint for 11 years and I honestly didn't know how bad the service is. I am consistently getting 5 Mbs on HSPA+ in Los Angeles, whereas on 3G I was getting maybe 0.2 and maybe 3 Mbs on 4G for the sprint network.

    I only pay $60 a month including tax, and even with the corporate discount I used to get at Sprint, it has been the best move I've made. I can't imagine going back, and I don't think there is anything sprint can do to catch up to AT&T or Verizon on the service front, especially not while the DOJ is thinking of stalling the Softbank merger.

    Service has been great, love the unlocked Nexus 4, don't think I will go back to a CDMA carrier for the foreseeable future.
    While I agree with you and I also changed about 6-8 months ago to att. However if you live in an LTE area of Sprint's and if LTE data speeds are important to you....Then its the best deal out there. With att and 15% discount I still pay around $95 a month. So its not cheap. Tmo has no coverage in VT. Only roaming with att (2G Edge). So for now I will stick with att unless Tmo expands out here! Either way I'm glad you found a cheaper carrier thats faster and fits your needs! Plus the N4 must be awesome right?
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    If any of my posts help you don't forget to thank/like it!!
  3. #3  
    chunkcohen's Avatar

    Posts
    161 Posts
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android Jelly Bean

    Default Re: Just moved to T-Mobile from Sprint, loving it.

    I switched from Sprint postpaid to T-Mobile prepaid myself last September (on a Galaxy Nexus). On Sprint, I was paying around $110/mo after taxes/fees on an Epic 4G slider for 900/Unlimited 3G (Simply Data). Right now, I'm on the same $60 Monthly4G plan the OP is on. I've been very happy for the most part with the switch. I was a Sprint customer for 12 or 13 years. I just got tired of paying a premium price for WiMAX that never got deployed in my area and no straight answer on their plans for Phoenix metro LTE deployment. Sprint's EVDO 3G is glacially slow. No hard feelings really; I'm just getting more for my money now. I'd imagine that Sprint is great for anyone fortunate enough to live in a market with WiMAX or LTE...

    I'm probably going to move up to the $70 plan (no-throttle data) once my billing cycle is up on the 22nd. The funny thing is that once you have the luxury of usable high-speed data, you burn through a lot more of it.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Just moved to T-Mobile from Sprint, loving it.

    Similar boat here. Was with Sprint for 10 years or so. My first phone with them was the Motorola StarTac.. Oh the memories. LOL
    January i got a TMO Post paid account for testing. I was using a GS2 and HTC ONE S to run speed and voice testing where i live, work and a few other places i go to in Dallas. Coverage is the same for me. Data speeds are way faster for me.. I know their LTE was in the early stages but at my residence near down town Dallas, i still couldnt get LTE.. At work i could but i was lucky if it went over 5 megs.
    With TMO im getting 10 megs on average down at work and at home 2-4 megs..
    I later found out i qualified for a business line instead of a personal line, 45 a month with 1000 anytime minutes and unlimited MMS, SMS, 4G HSDPA+ data. I went out and got my self a GS3 and im wondering why i didnt make the switch sooner. Well the answer to that was brand loyalty. Sprint had been good to me but with them getting rid of their premier club and doing away with other long time customer benefits i no longer felt i was a privileged long time special customer.
    As long as you test the coverage where your using the phone most, work, home stuff like that. TMO is the way to go..
    DropBox lets you sync files across Android, iOS, and Desktop Computers. Sign up for free, install, get me and you extra space! DropBox
    Twitter @AndroidTechGuy and @IAmSixNine
    Google+Google+
  5. #5  
    codeda's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

    Default Re: Just moved to T-Mobile from Sprint, loving it.

    Me too! Left sprint for tmobile in December and couldn't be more happy. I really wanted to give sprint the benefit of the doubt but i just couldn't take it anymore.

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Just moved to T-Mobile from Sprint, loving it.

    I made the same switch and data speeds are so much better on tmobile but the problem is voice reception is just plain crap.

    Calls drop like crazy

    sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
  7. #7  
    chunkcohen's Avatar

    Posts
    161 Posts
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android Jelly Bean

    Default Re: Just moved to T-Mobile from Sprint, loving it.

    Sprint had been good to me but with them getting rid of their premier club and doing away with other long time customer benefits i no longer felt i was a privileged long time special customer.
    Yeah, I was Premier Gold status with Sprint. That used to mean device upgrades every year (instead of every two years) and discounts on already overpriced accessories. Then, they took away the device upgrade perk, making the program practically worthless. I'm not shocked that they totally eliminated the program after that.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    I made the same switch and data speeds are so much better on tmobile but the problem is voice reception is just plain crap.

    Calls drop like crazy

    sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
    I guess that really depends on where you live. I drop calls SOMETIMES on T-Mobile where the signal is spotty, but the call quality seems to be about on-par with what I got with Sprint (Phoenix metro).
  8. #8  
    lilotimz's Avatar

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

    Default Re: Just moved to T-Mobile from Sprint, loving it.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChunk View Post
    I was a Sprint customer for 12 or 13 years. I just got tired of paying a premium price for WiMAX that never got deployed in my area and no straight answer on their plans for Phoenix metro LTE deployment.
    Just to let you know. Sprint began the application for permits in for NV upgrades in Phoenix last october and still is applying for more. *Looking at the map with all known cell sites that Sprint has applied to work on since October* Seems to be around 60-70 towers have application filed and in various stages of being accepted so work can begin.

    Do what you have to do but just informing ya that work is about to begin.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Just moved to T-Mobile from Sprint, loving it.

    Quote Originally Posted by lilotimz View Post
    Just to let you know. Sprint began the application for permits in for NV upgrades in Phoenix last october and still is applying for more. *Looking at the map with all known cell sites that Sprint has applied to work on since October* Seems to be around 60-70 towers have application filed and in various stages of being accepted so work can begin.

    Do what you have to do but just informing ya that work is about to begin.
    Yeah, some people have just lost patience. I certainly understand that, but as for me, I'm waiting...
    msndrstood likes this.
  10. #10  
    codeda's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

    Default Re: Just moved to T-Mobile from Sprint, loving it.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    I made the same switch and data speeds are so much better on tmobile but the problem is voice reception is just plain crap.

    Calls drop like crazy

    sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
    Def depends on where you live. One of the reasons I left sprint was because I was dropping calls like crazy. Haven't dropped a call yet on T-Mobile.

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Just moved to T-Mobile from Sprint, loving it.

    i have a hunch and its just a hunch.....That as long as Sprint can keep it pricing the same, and Verizon and ATT continues to gouge their customers wallets dry, and TMO coverage continues to suck outside Major Metros. I think Sprint will get plenty of the subscribers back as LTE/NV coverage thickens. Its just to tempting....I myself have moved over to Verizon to wait for the NE to be completed with NV and LTE , once its done - if the rest of Sprint remains the same, Pricing, Phone Selection and Good Customer Service....HELL YEA I'M GOING BACK!
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Just moved to T-Mobile from Sprint, loving it.

    Quote Originally Posted by lennyj17 View Post
    i have a hunch and its just a hunch.....That as long as Sprint can keep it pricing the same, and Verizon and ATT continues to gouge their customers wallets dry, and TMO coverage continues to suck outside Major Metros. I think Sprint will get plenty of the subscribers back as LTE/NV coverage thickens. Its just to tempting....I myself have moved over to Verizon to wait for the NE to be completed with NV and LTE , once its done - if the rest of Sprint remains the same, Pricing, Phone Selection and Good Customer Service....HELL YEA I'M GOING BACK!
    It's smart to keep options open. Vrz has the jump. But they have taken advantage of that with price increases & caps.

    Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: Just moved to T-Mobile from Sprint, loving it.

    Trust me, I gave them the benefit of doubt, but I honestly couldn't stay when I ran speedtests and I was barely getting 0.2 Mpbs on my phone. At some points I couldn't even load the maps and get navigation, even though I was outside and in the middle of downtown LA.

    I am a prepaid customer, so I can go back to Sprint at anytime, but the option of having a pure nexus phone that is unlocked is too much to pass up. Nexus 4 owners will get Android 5.0 maybe 1 year ahead of anyone else on any other US carrier.
    codeda likes this.
  14. #14  
    PWC Realtor's Avatar

    Posts
    486 Posts
    Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

    Default Re: Just moved to T-Mobile from Sprint, loving it.

    I was a Sprint customer for years but left in May 2011 and haven't looked back. My fairly suburban area of Dc never got WiMAX and 3g here is painfully slow (and still is). Sprint is also somewhat expensive especial since you cannot apply corporate discount to their u limited voice and data plan.

    One side effect I never realized how useful simultaneous voice and data was a until I switch to T-mobile.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  15. #15  
    HawaiiD's Avatar

    Posts
    780 Posts
    Global Posts
    800 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 7.1 / Tiamat 3.3.7

    Default Re: Just moved to T-Mobile from Sprint, loving it.

    Quote Originally Posted by lilotimz View Post
    Just to let you know. Sprint began the application for permits in for NV upgrades in Phoenix last october and still is applying for more. *Looking at the map with all known cell sites that Sprint has applied to work on since October* Seems to be around 60-70 towers have application filed and in various stages of being accepted so work can begin.

    Do what you have to do but just informing ya that work is about to begin.
    Lilo,
    Can you find out if Sprint will be starting work in the hawaii market?
    Thanks

    Sent from my Coconut Wireless
  16. #16  
    Mellimel22's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,466 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

    Default Re: Just moved to T-Mobile from Sprint, loving it.

    These are my latest speed test result

    Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just moved to T-Mobile from Sprint, loving it.-uploadfromtaptalk1360121234335.jpg  
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Just moved to T-Mobile from Sprint, loving it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    These are my latest speed test result

    Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2
    Now thats what Im talking bout, cant wait for that to be the norm in the Northeast.... Verizon is F'ing robbery.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Just moved to T-Mobile from Sprint, loving it.

    Quote Originally Posted by ashakouri1 View Post
    Trust me, I gave them the benefit of doubt, but I honestly couldn't stay when I ran speedtests and I was barely getting 0.2 Mpbs on my phone. At some points I couldn't even load the maps and get navigation, even though I was outside and in the middle of downtown LA.

    I am a prepaid customer, so I can go back to Sprint at anytime, but the option of having a pure nexus phone that is unlocked is too much to pass up. Nexus 4 owners will get Android 5.0 maybe 1 year ahead of anyone else on any other US carrier.
    Funny you mention speed test. Theres a bank in the office building i work in. Ive fixed a few of their phones so i went down to chat with them. One of the young ladies asked me what speed test app i showed her last time. I busted out my TMO GS3 and showed her.. She has a Sprint GS3. She downloaded it. I waited a while. Then we set hers up identical to mine, Best Performance, Same server to test, Mbps. We ran speed tests together. Both of us are in strong signal areas. She got .02 megs down the first time, second time she got network communication error. Third time it hung on the upload test part. On mine i got 18 megs down, and about 2.5 up. Ive also tested ATT in the same spots and they are also super fast.
    DropBox lets you sync files across Android, iOS, and Desktop Computers. Sign up for free, install, get me and you extra space! DropBox
    Twitter @AndroidTechGuy and @IAmSixNine
    Google+Google+
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Just moved to T-Mobile from Sprint, loving it.

    Quote Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
    Funny you mention speed test. Theres a bank in the office building i work in. Ive fixed a few of their phones so i went down to chat with them. One of the young ladies asked me what speed test app i showed her last time. I busted out my TMO GS3 and showed her.. She has a Sprint GS3. She downloaded it. I waited a while. Then we set hers up identical to mine, Best Performance, Same server to test, Mbps. We ran speed tests together. Both of us are in strong signal areas. She got .02 megs down the first time, second time she got network communication error. Third time it hung on the upload test part. On mine i got 18 megs down, and about 2.5 up. Ive also tested ATT in the same spots and they are also super fast.
    You do realize data and voice are separate signals right? Just because her phone may be showing a lot of bars doesn't mean a thing about data.

    But I get your point we all know things aren't that great in certain locations.

    If your point is to continually harp on how good t-Mobile is and how terrible sprint is, why not head over to the t-Mobile forum to do that?
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Just moved to T-Mobile from Sprint, loving it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    You do realize data and voice are separate signals right? Just because her phone may be showing a lot of bars doesn't mean a thing about data.

    But I get your point we all know things aren't that great in certain locations.

    If your point is to continually harp on how good t-Mobile is and how terrible sprint is, why not head over to the t-Mobile forum to do that?
    I kinda wish Sprint had done what Verizon used to do and show 2 separate signal bars, one for 1xRTT and one for EVDO. Yes im well aware that voice and data are separated.
    I could understand things not being great in certain locations. But its all over, for me it was anywa. I was always on WiFi at home and at work. But i shouldnt have to be..
    Oh and dont forget i also mentioned how ATT worked well there too.. Perhaps i should hop on over to the ATT forum a well??
    The topic of this thread is Just moved to TMO from Sprint. Im providing my input based on the topic. I also fall under the category. Was with Sprint 10+ years and middle of January i decided to officially port my number from Sprint to T-mobile. So i feel the need to share my Sprint / Tmobile speed test was relevant to this thread.
    Perhaps this whole thread should be moved over to the T-Mobile forum. Would that be sufficient for you?
    DropBox lets you sync files across Android, iOS, and Desktop Computers. Sign up for free, install, get me and you extra space! DropBox
    Twitter @AndroidTechGuy and @IAmSixNine
    Google+Google+
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Just moved to T-Mobile from Sprint, loving it.

    I switched from Sprint to t- mobile too and love it. My service sadly with Sprint was terrible but once I switched to t-mobile it was a huge difference! I can't believe I didn't switch before!

    From My Awesome Samsung Galaxy s2 on t-mobile (can't wait for jellybean) :-)
    IAmSixNine likes this.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Just moved to T-Mobile from Sprint, loving it.

    Quote Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
    Perhaps this whole thread should be moved over to the T-Mobile forum. Would that be sufficient for you?
    Nope, no biggie. I just don't get the purpose of these types of threads. If you've moved on why continually post in your old phone / carrier forum. It's like getting a divorce and then trying to convince all of your exes friends what a rotten person your ex is.

    I know I should just ignore them and move on, so it's my problem too.
    VW Maverick and 541rrhse like this.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Just moved to T-Mobile from Sprint, loving it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Nope, no biggie. I just don't get the purpose of these types of threads. If you've moved on why continually post in your old phone / carrier forum. It's like getting a divorce and then trying to convince all of your exes friends what a rotten person your ex is.

    I know I should just ignore them and move on, so it's my problem too.
    It's like me trolling bb or palm pre forums. I doubt they would care about what my next phone/service is.

    Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums
    541rrhse likes this.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Just moved to T-Mobile from Sprint, loving it.

    Im doing it so those people who have been with Sprint for a long time, and are thinking about making the switch see positive comments. Prior to me making the switch i was looking for people in a similar situation as me. Had it not been for reading some of the stuff about how TMO is great if your in a coverage area i might not have even tested them.
    So theres definitely a positive piece of logic for me doing it. Maybe now you will get it.
    DropBox lets you sync files across Android, iOS, and Desktop Computers. Sign up for free, install, get me and you extra space! DropBox
    Twitter @AndroidTechGuy and @IAmSixNine
    Google+Google+
    Thanked by:
  25. #25  
    HawaiiD's Avatar

    Posts
    780 Posts
    Global Posts
    800 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 7.1 / Tiamat 3.3.7

    Default Re: Just moved to T-Mobile from Sprint, loving it.

    Quote Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
    Im doing it so those people who have been with Sprint for a long time, and are thinking about making the switch see positive comments. Prior to me making the switch i was looking for people in a similar situation as me. Had it not been for reading some of the stuff about how TMO is great if your in a coverage area i might not have even tested them.
    So theres definitely a positive piece of logic for me doing it. Maybe now you will get it.
    Thank you sixnine! I am also on the fence and thinking of moving
    My family lines to Tmo. I been with
    Nextel /Sprint since 2001.we in Hawaii have wimax. However, the signal cuts out really easy. Our
    3g speeds here is very very slow to say the least.
    The only thing keeping me on Sprint is the fact I have a 24%
    Corporate discount with sprint.
    Now that the discount only covers the first line? I really feel in the last couple of years Sprint has started to nickle and dime their customers.

    Again.... Thanks for the sharing your experiences with us sixnine!

    Aloha,
    HD


    Sent from my Coconut Wireless
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2012, 12:05 PM
  2. Replies: 37
    Last Post: 06-29-2011, 04:17 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-02-2011, 07:24 AM
  4. Updated to 2.2 from Sprint
    By adamdziedzic in forum HTC EVO 4G Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-08-2010, 01:17 PM
  5. Moving to an N1 from Palm Pre
    By Postal Dude in forum Other OS's and Devices
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-26-2010, 11:40 PM

Posting Permissions

B