Leaving Sprint - Google Voice and my phone #

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
After thinking about it a lot, and tons of problems, I decided to dump Sprint, pay the ETF, and go to another carrier. I use Google Voice. I had my cell # with other carriers, transferred it to Sprint and then did the Google Voice link. My question is, do I have to transfer my # when I move or do I already have it with Google Voice?

Is it a better idea to unlink Google Voice and move my cell # to the new carrier?

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
It depends if they use the Google voice number sync, I'm not to sure how many carriers allow you to do this like Sprint. Just ask the new carrier. I would say take it off of GV until it is ported and put it back on if you can.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
It depends if they use the Google voice number sync, I'm not to sure how many carriers allow you to do this like Sprint. Just ask the new carrier. I would say take it off of GV until it is ported and put it back on if you can.

The new carrier does not. As far as I know, Sprint is the only carrier that syncs like that.

I am wondering though, when you do the GV thing with Sprint, does Sprint still own the number or does GV own it? If I cancel Sprint tomorrow, will I still have my GV number?

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
You can just go to Google Voice here https://accounts.google.com/Service...lowup=https://www.google.com/voice&ltmpl=open and unsync your number from GV. The number still belongs to Sprint and you can connect and disconnect as often as you want to GV from this website. Make sure you port your number out while it is still active on Sprint to the other carrier or you will lose it. Also if they are offering anything for porting your number over to them you will not receive whatever they offer if you don't port a valid active phone number. Once your Sprint account is deactivated if you leave it on GV it will not work on GV anymore. I ported a number from Metro PCS a few years ago to Sprint right when my account was being deactivated and it caused major problems and I almost lost a $200 port credit from Sprint.

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
You can just go to Google Voice here https://accounts.google.com/Service...ollowup=https://www.google.com/voice<mpl=open and unsync your number from GV. The number still belongs to Sprint and you can connect and disconnect as often as you want to GV from this website. Make sure you port your number out while it is still active on Sprint to the other carrier or you will lose it. Also if they are offering anything for porting your number over to them you will not receive whatever they offer if you don't port a valid active phone number. Once your Sprint account is deactivated if you leave it on GV it will not work on GV anymore. I ported a number from Metro PCS a few years ago to Sprint right when my account was being deactivated and it caused major problems and I almost lost a $200 port credit from Sprint.

Good to know. Is porting my Sprint number to GV an option? I will really miss GV. I know I can get a new phone number from GV, but realistically having to tell everyone to start calling that number isn't going to work.

I ordered a Nexus 4 and am going to try no contract carriers. I am starting with Straighttalk and if that doesn't work out, then T-mobile. My concern is porting my number all over the place.

Mark Zagotti

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I dont really know the answer but I may be doing the same thing in June when my contract ends with Sprint. I plan on keeping my number with google voice no matter which carrier I go to.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Android Central Forums

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Straight talk has t-mobile, and at&t you pick who you want to use.

Right. It is unclear to me what the difference is getting StraightTalk on TMO for $45 and TMO prepaid for $60. TMO also started a new prepaid in the last week that is $45, but I don't think it has 4G data. It is unclear to me if TMO is just hoping people won't know about StraightTalk or people expect better service from TMO (maybe in terms of customer service).

The only difference I read was that TMO has voice roaming while StraightTalk does not.

I think your point is there is no reason to try StraightTalk TMO and then go to TMO prepaid.

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Also read that StraightTalk offers "unlimited" data, but will cut you off if they feel like you are using too much. T-mobile just throttles you. I don't think this is an issue for me. I use about 2GB a month now and make no effort to use wifi which I will probably do once I switch when I'm at home.

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I dont really know the answer but I may be doing the same thing in June when my contract ends with Sprint. I plan on keeping my number with google voice no matter which carrier I go to.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Android Central Forums

So, I've thoroughly analyzed this.

If I port my number to GV:
Pros: Voicemail transcripts, can get VM when out of country and no data service, can get txts when out of country and no data service, can send/receive txt from PC browser. Ringing multiple lines when someone calls. Unified VM box. Call blocking, different vm messages and other what I would call minor features.
Cons: No MMS. You won't get any notification either neither will the sender. This apparently includes group texts in some cases. You might get some MMS via email, mostly from people on Sprint. You can send/receive MMS through your carrier phone #. Delay making outgoing calls (not clear how much of one).

If I port my number to new carrier (non-Sprint):
Pros MMS
Cons: See pros of porting to GV.

There are apps that let you get txts via email or an app on a tablet or even in a browser (basically using BT or wifi to move the data from your phone/tablet/pc), but ultimately they are still going through your phone which must be on and have a data connection.

I am thinking of getting rid of my home phone, so the whole ringing multiple lines is not a huge deal for me. The biggest things I would give up are the voicemail transcripts and out of country (and service) things. I spend about 1 month a year out of the country and not getting txts sucks. I can get VM calling in, but that is a hassle.

For me, it comes down to do I want MMS or pretty much everything else.

This doesn't apply to me :), but if you are forgetful or error prone, I've heard if you transfer your number to a monthly plan and forget to pay and it is shut off, you could lost your number.

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Straight talk has t-mobile, and at&t you pick who you want to use.

FYI- Straight talk does not offer a min sim which is what the Nexus 4 takes. I was able to cut down a regular sim and it is working fine, but that is your only option for using ST TMO.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Iv had the same Google voice number since it was grand central and invite only, it has been with multiple carriers and does sync well with Sprint. I left Sprint and went to boost but syncing was then not an option, its on Verizon and works but not like with Sprint. As for the no mms,I give those I'm really close to (and they are the only ones I want mms from) both numbers and am clear that only one gets mms. Also with Google voice you do not get to do short codes, like I check my bank account via text, can't do that with gv

______
Sent from my mobile device

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Iv had the same Google voice number since it was grand central and invite only, it has been with multiple carriers and does sync well with Sprint. I left Sprint and went to boost but syncing was then not an option, its on Verizon and works but not like with Sprint. As for the no mms,I give those I'm really close to (and they are the only ones I want mms from) both numbers and am clear that only one gets mms. Also with Google voice you do not get to do short codes, like I check my bank account via text, can't do that with gv

______
Sent from my mobile device

I've ported to GV. I figured everything else outweighed the MMS issue. If it could just notify the sender that it cannot deliver the MMS, it wouldn't be an issue for me.

I guess I took the Sprint integration for granted.

One thing I did find in exploring not using GV, Mighty Text is actually a much better interface on a tablet or PC for sending/receiving texts from your # than GV. It isn't the same as your phone has to be on and have service since it is actually using your phone to do the send/receive.