4G in San Diego and southern California, why not?

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
It makes absolutely no sense to me why sprint hasn't officially rolled out 4G for San diego and southern california, including official 4G in L.A., there are a ton of reports coming from people getting 4G in L.A. (possibly because of testing?) but NONE in San Diego.

I live in San Diego and thinking logically for sprint, there is ALOT of people that live in southern california so why wouldnt you roll it out here first instead of rolling it out in mid-west hick towns where people dont even have internet yet, let alone 4G phones! (I'm being blunt here, i know you all arent hicks, but you get the jist)

Sorry, i had to get that off my chest.

Anyone else feel the same way?

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I've been wondering that all year. They are rolling out in some weird places. You would think they would hit the biggest areas first to cover the most people and then work their way down. I don't get it.

JERAVICIOUS

May 16, 2010
Visit site
YO,
I totally feel you on this! I'm from San Diego and there are over 1 million people there and L.A. is even bigger. I question sprint's decision to go to cities like Modesto and stockton where the population is very tiny. I moved near the bay area and 4 g is spotty in some parts of san jose but not official. With southern CA and northern CA, Sprint would be hittin markets with over a 3 million city population combined rather than hitting cities that have a population of 30,000 or so.

I think sprint's mentality is quantity than quality. Sprint probably thought the small city route would be easier and look good on paper that they have a lot of cities connected to 4g. But their mistake is not getting these big markets such as L.A., SF, NY, and SD connected.

J Snazzy

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah....doesn't make much sense. I live in South Orange County and it seems we won't be getting 4g, which is crazy considering the money in the area.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I live in San Diego and can totally understand why it isn't here. This is a huge geographical area and is going to take a lot of resources to install, test and support such a system and make everyone happy with the service. I'm not even really sure that I would use the system that much. 3G is plenty fast for me and I also have wifi available at work, at home and many other places. Logistically it's just easier to start in smaller markets and more beneficial to users if they don't have good available wifi everywhere.

I don't like the fact that they play so many 4G commericals on TV here but it's the marketing department that does that and they don't always make good decisions.

I bought the EVO as the best 3G phone available. 4G was not a selling point for me. But everyone has their own needs so it might frustrate others.

BigRick10

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah....doesn't make much sense. I live in South Orange County and it seems we won't be getting 4g, which is crazy considering the money in the area.

Orange County is rumored to be covered by the end of the year reach down to San Diego. Some hit on XDA is working here in OC entire get wimax up and running and that's what he has stated. He is credible as he has said when to expect service in some areas they light up.

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

kennycrudup

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I'll bet many of y'all wondering why Peoria has it and not LA don't remember when Sprint first came out to SoCal as a partnership with Cox Cable. The service, in a word, suuuucked in 1998 as to be unusable in a lot of the area- and make no mistake- there's a lot of Southern Cali. I'm sure they don't want to announce it (I got coverage in John Wayne Airport Monday) 'till it's ready for Prime Time here.

I'll bet it cost less to outfit Modesto than it would to outfit even say Fullerton. Not only that, let the little towns do the beta testing. I was in the Seattle metro area (i.e., the home of Clearwire) twice since getting my EVO, and was surprised at how spotty 4G coverage was in one of the first build-out, flagship markets; 4G isn't going to be cheap to implement in a large market if it's going to be done well.

Bic

May 18, 2010
Visit site
It's a huge geographic area and I'd rather have them working out the kinks in smaller towns first. Besides, I've been getting some 4G signals here and there in LA. If you're near the Arclight theaters on Hollywood & Sunset, I've been getting a strong signal there (and even in front of the Verizon store next to Borders!!). It's coming slowly but surely.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Sure, test it out first, fix bugs and kinks to better the service. But, do not be so secretive about it as it is frustrating to know your paying for something you might not be able to use ever...

rawvega

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Before merging their operations with Sprint, Clearwire had a number of markets with pre-WiMAX service which is different than the WiMAX service that they are currently using. Places like Merced and Modesto that have some of you scratching your collective heads already had a Clearwire network set up. They just had to convert from the older pre-WiMAX equipment to newer WiMAX equipment. Obviously that is quicker and easier than wiring up a whole city, like say Los Angeles or San Diego for instance, from the ground up. Rest assured, SoCalers, your 4G is coming.

Some more information here: Summary of announced markets that will see 4G this year

slayerpsp

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Im happy I have 4G now in Anaheim CA. I went to high school in S.D Point Loma high school. So I feel for you down south. From what im hearing it will cover L.A. and south to Irvine. Not sure about the S.F valley though. I was at Walmart today the one on Euclid in Anaheim and i had full blown 4g working max bars so happy to see

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance