HTC 1 or Galaxy S4

tsbrewers

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I am in the same boat. I like my last few HTC phones and would buy the One, if it wasn't for the battery and sd slot. I also wouldn't mind the S4, but honestly when it comes down to it, neither really feel like a flagship phone that I want to use my 2 year agreement with.

As of right now, my E3d works perfect still and it will take a phone that gets me excited to replace it. So as of now, I am probably going to wait until a real top of the line phone comes out. Not a nice looking phone that has some really dumb limitations (One) or a slightly better than last years phone. (S4)

Brew

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Both are great phones but the s4 has some advantages

1. External sd card support for media
2. Removable battery (batteries do lose charge capacity over time and the age defective batteries. Charging a battery pack them charging the phone is annoying )
3. Swipe for screen shot (very convenient)
4. Voice control for apps
5. This is just based on history as it's too early to judge it just yet but I'd bet the galaxy s 4 has better build quality. HTC has had plenty of build quality issues and I wouldn't be surprised if the one suffers from them as well

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

david279

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
The one build quality is superior. You gotta hold it to feel what I'm saying. Very solid, very nice.

Posted from my HTC One via Android Central App

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
The one build quality is superior. You gotta hold it to feel what I'm saying. Very solid, very nice.

Posted from my HTC One via Android Central App

Can't judge build quality by simply holding it.

You can judge the feel, but feelings and actual quality age 2 different things.

I've already seen someone with a one and a missing speaker grill.

That IS NOT good build quality

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
If I was in the market for a new phone and after seeing them both at a local att store I would pickup the HTC One. It just feels better and the screen is awesome. But thats if your going to root. HTC seems to be a little bit on the slower side with their updates. I guess you need to know what your needs really are first.

SandersJC1964

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Well, I called customer care last night and they informed me that my line was eligible for the Upgrade Now program, and being the impatient type (when it comes to these things) I bit. I got the black One this afternoon, and so far I am loving it. It feels really good in the hand, and fortunately my hands are large enough so that I can comfortably use it one handed, with the exception of the power button. It will taking some getting used to to hit that one-handed without feeling like I'm going to drop my phone. At the moment, I'm using my free hand to power/wake my phone. I haven't really had an opportunity to play with the camera much yet, but after noon tomorrow, my 2 week vacation commences, so I'll have plenty of opportunity. The speakers sound great, and when my wife heard them, she said that she wanted this phone when her next upgrade comes up, if it's still being sold. However, when she listened to Everclear using the included ear buds, she informed me that she would be taking this phone right now. Fortunately, she had a hair appointment that I reminded her of and she got sidetracked.

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, I called customer care last night and they informed me that my line was eligible for the Upgrade Now program, and being the impatient type (when it comes to these things) I bit. I got the black One this afternoon, and so far I am loving it. It feels really good in the hand, and fortunately my hands are large enough so that I can comfortably use it one handed, with the exception of the power button. It will taking some getting used to to hit that one-handed without feeling like I'm going to drop my phone. At the moment, I'm using my free hand to power/wake my phone. I haven't really had an opportunity to play with the camera much yet, but after noon tomorrow, my 2 week vacation commences, so I'll have plenty of opportunity. The speakers sound great, and when my wife heard them, she said that she wanted this phone when her next upgrade comes up, if it's still being sold. However, when she listened to Everclear using the included ear buds, she informed me that she would be taking this phone right now. Fortunately, she had a hair appointment that I reminded her of and she got sidetracked.

Black is def sexier. Hope you like it

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

tj_333

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I had the HTC One and took it back...and I'm probably going to be picking up the S4 this week - doesn't mean I'll keep it, but I think I'm going to give it a shot.

The One was a great phone and for the first few days I was in love with it...absolutely in awe. The sound is incredible, picture great, it's quick and responsive, keyboard was the best non-physical keyboard I have ever used and the HTC software for syncing to outlook via cable worked flawlessly...and then the bugs started showing up.

Of the many bugs, the most bizarre to me was the phantom dialing and phantom touches. I would have it sitting on my desk - well away from contact with anything - and suddenly it would call one of my contacts. Not the most recent contact, not one in the recent calls - it just randomly chose a contact and called it. Same thing when using the phone - you could be watching a youtube video and suddenly the calendar would launch or it would choose another YouTube video for you to watch (which was actually fairly entertaining).

I experienced issues trying to charge it in the car, and that quickly became a deal breaker as the batter was not enough to get through a normal day.

I'm sure the bugs were simply that and could probably be resolved, but as I started getting near the "drop dead" date to return the phone I made the decision to take it back and give the S4 a shot. YMMV.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I had the HTC One and took it back...and I'm probably going to be picking up the S4 this week - doesn't mean I'll keep it, but I think I'm going to give it a shot.

The One was a great phone and for the first few days I was in love with it...absolutely in awe. The sound is incredible, picture great, it's quick and responsive, keyboard was the best non-physical keyboard I have ever used and the HTC software for syncing to outlook via cable worked flawlessly...and then the bugs started showing up.

Of the many bugs, the most bizarre to me was the phantom dialing and phantom touches. I would have it sitting on my desk - well away from contact with anything - and suddenly it would call one of my contacts. Not the most recent contact, not one in the recent calls - it just randomly chose a contact and called it. Same thing when using the phone - you could be watching a youtube video and suddenly the calendar would launch or it would choose another YouTube video for you to watch (which was actually fairly entertaining).

I experienced issues trying to charge it in the car, and that quickly became a deal breaker as the batter was not enough to get through a normal day.

I'm sure the bugs were simply that and could probably be resolved, but as I started getting near the "drop dead" date to return the phone I made the decision to take it back and give the S4 a shot. YMMV.

You won't be.disappointed but you could have tried a factory reset or something. Or it could have just been a bad device.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
... you could have tried a factory reset or something.

The fact is competition for smartphones is FIERCE - you shouldn't have to jiggle the handle to make a $500+ device work and if you do there are plenty of other manufacturers who are eager for the chance to earn your business and will step up with an alternative that just works right out of the box.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
The fact is competition for smartphones is FIERCE - you shouldn't have to jiggle the handle to make a $500+ device work and if you do there are plenty of other manufacturers who are eager for the chance to earn your business and will step up with an alternative that just works right out of the box.

True but nothing in this world is perfect. You can take anything made in this world and some of them wont work or have problems. Cars, phones, computers, tvs, food etc..........

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Once my house that I bought is good to go I am grabbing a HTC One. I want one so bad :p

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.