Is Sprint now owned by Samsung or what?

dspayde

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I know the title question is an obvious joke, but does Sprint recommend any phone OTHER THAN Samsung these days? I am a 13 year Sprint customer with three lines. Walked into a corporate Sprint location to check out the new stuff as the contract is up within two months.

Without asking me what I WANTED or NEEDED in phones, I was steered away from anything that didn't say Samsung on the case. I was warned away from the HTC One ("research the problems we have had with excessive returns") and LG as well as iPhones. Then I was also told Sprint should match any price I get from ATT on mutually carried phones as well as giving me credit for my old phones. Well, Sprint was going to give me $30 credit for each of the Photons on my account. Not bad, but ATT will give me $100 credit on each along with 4G LTE service in my neighborhood as well as my son's.

The package price / plan would be $10 higher with ATT. I am still searching for a reason to STAY where I am now....

aandrew610

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
A week ago I left sprint for att I don't Regret it at all. Much better signal in my area . Only thing I'll miss is unlimited data but it's not a huge deal

sent from my galaxy s4

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I know the title question is an obvious joke, but does Sprint recommend any phone OTHER THAN Samsung these days? I am a 13 year Sprint customer with three lines. Walked into a corporate Sprint location to check out the new stuff as the contract is up within two months.

Without asking me what I WANTED or NEEDED in phones, I was steered away from anything that didn't say Samsung on the case. I was warned away from the HTC One ("research the problems we have had with excessive returns") and LG as well as iPhones. Then I was also told Sprint should match any price I get from ATT on mutually carried phones as well as giving me credit for my old phones. Well, Sprint was going to give me $30 credit for each of the Photons on my account. Not bad, but ATT will give me $100 credit on each along with 4G LTE service in my neighborhood as well as my son's.

The package price / plan would be $10 higher with ATT. I am still searching for a reason to STAY where I am now....

I just say cut loose! I got the HTC One but waiting for my case! Got it $11.56 after my 2 trade ins!

Posted while on the toilet.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
If you want to trade in phones stay away from Sprint and go to Best Buy. Sprint is a joke for trade in credit. You can check the trade in value of your phone right on Best Buys website.

Sent from my SPH-L720

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
If you want to trade in phones stay away from Sprint and go to Best Buy. Sprint is a joke for trade in credit. You can check the trade in value of your phone right on Best Buys website.

Sent from my SPH-L720

You got that right. Now bb is giving $200 credit for any phone. Sprint is definitely a joke. But I'm giving them till end of year before I switch. They've been improving in most of the places I go to.

Sent from the Great Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I've been with Sprint for 8 years, and considered leaving a few times for various reasons. But I fought off the urge. Whenever I've had an issue, they've always stepped up to the plate, in one way or another. Excellent customer service. They're usually first with updates. And, since I have unlimited everything, I save $40-50 a month over the other services. I don't care what brand of phone they're pushing in some stores (they don't do it in my local store). I choose the devices I'm interested in and go from there. So no in-store rep is going to make my decision for me. We make our own decisions and we have to live with them. I've chosen to stay with Sprint all these years. So far, so good. Device buybacks don't fit into my equation. And my service has continually gotten better. Right now, in my area, it's great. But...you have to do what you have to do.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I've been with Sprint for 8 years, and considered leaving a few times for various reasons. But I fought off the urge. Whenever I've had an issue, they've always stepped up to the plate, in one way or another. Excellent customer service. They're usually first with updates. And, since I have unlimited everything, I save $40-50 a month over the other services. I don't care what brand of phone they're pushing in some stores (they don't do it in my local store). I choose the devices I'm interested in and go from there. So no in-store rep is going to make my decision for me. We make our own decisions and we have to live with them. I've chosen to stay with Sprint all these years. So far, so good. Device buybacks don't fit into my equation. And my service has continually gotten better. Right now, in my area, it's great. But...you have to do what you have to do.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah I agree with you. I don't care what they push in stores.. I always do my own homework and go in my opinion. I don't listen to sales people trying to pitch me something.. If anything that would make me not want the phone because I know they don't care about me and my phone.. Then just want the commission lol.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

dspayde

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
And to finally top this whole adventure off....ATT has stated they will give me $100 credit per Photon 4G (I have two of them), making the net on a HTC One just $99. A call to Account Services (formerly known as Retention) garnered me a $30 trade-in per phone and a $25 credit on my current bill. As a user with two smartphones on the plan, we only average .7 GB data usage a month. That's right ....Point SEVEN GB. You would think Sprint would want to keep a customer who has been paying $160-180 a month for the last 13 years. I guess not.

Yung_Dilla

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it does get a bit annoying but it's no different than gnc pushing a certain supplement brand or best by a certain computer brand. If you know what you are looking for that's not too much of a issue. Annoying yes but nothing serious... Sprint with this softbank and clearwire deal seems like they might finally step up service wise and if my only complaint from them so far is pushing a certain phone i don't have to get I'm down lol.. I can't wait to see what happens with everything..

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
There's no doubt that Carriers partner with manufacturers to push certain brands. However, to do this in store is just not right. As a rule of thumb I will try avoiding the carrier store at all costs. The past few devices we have purchased came from Best Buy and Amazon and we have not had problems being steered toward certain devices or with anything related to the activation of these devices.

buffdaddy72

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I'm not a big fan of buying from the carrier stores either. I don't usually shop at Best Buy for my tech needs, but their mobile department offers some pretty great deals.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my SPH-L720

Sprint was identical on trade in price as Best Buy. I ditched my S3 that Verizon broke a couple of months ago, and walked out of the Sprint store with a $9.00 credit on my account when all was said and done. YMMV, but researching it, Sprint store was the better deal in my case, and I usually go to Best Buy for my phones.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
For those that buy from Best Buy do you also get their insurance? My wife has it for her iPhone and I hear it's great - we've yet had to use it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
For those that buy from Best Buy do you also get their insurance? My wife has it for her iPhone and I hear it's great - we've yet had to use it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I have used best buy for four years now and have had there insurance and it's great. no deductible and you get a replacement.

Posted via Android Central App

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I've found that Gazelle gives great prices for Trade-ins so I stick with them. I left Sprint for AT&T, who's network is dramatically faster. I have both my S4 and my Note 8.0 on a 2GB mobile share plan for just under $100/month. Plenty enough me.

Sent from my Element Eclipsed S4