4G in providence area!

breakinghbts#AC

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I did some searches, and didn't see this posted anywhere. I have never seen Providence, or Warwick listed on any sprint website for currently having wimax coverage.

However, I turned on my 4G radio for first time while still in RI, mind you, I've had the phone since launch. And i got the notification that the 4G network is available. At my sisters house in West Warwick, along the Coventry line, there is a very weak signal, it fades in and out, with speed tests averaging 2.3 down when it holds a 4g signal.

Today i remembered to try it at my house, also west warwick, near the police station. Boy, was i exstatic to see 2 out of the 3 bars of 4g signal show up. I ran the speed test, and the first one ran at 3.5 down. I ran a good 15 more, and not a one was less than 5.2 down, and the highest was 9.8 down, most of them were 8.x down. Pretty sweet.

Anyway, any RI EVO owners out there, check for 4G!

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
There are actually 4G maps that show the tower coverage that has been found in Pawtucket, Providence, and Warwick.

The Sensorly app maps 3G and 4G service while you drive. There is an online 4G map but it does not let you zoom in much.

The app itself has street level maps. Until a market is officially announced, towers are in testing and may be turned off at times.

Last edited: