Sprint Tri-Band LTE Phone Discussion Thread aka Sprint Spark

gretzer

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Official Sprint Tri-Band LTE Phone Discussion Thread

Anyone know if there are any phones in the current Sprint line-up that are dual-band, i.e. support both 800 and 1900 (but not 2500)? I've just seriously damaged my screen glass and probably can't hold out until september for tri-bands. I'm most concerned about missing out on the 800 propagation benefits for a couple of years. I don't necessarily need the scary speed of 2.5 band on a phone but missing out on the better signal would be a bummer.

gretzer

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site

After much digging was able to answer my own question: looks like all Sprint LTE phones are already dual band and will work on 1900 and 800. The 2500 is the only thing you are missing out on with current, pre-tri-band phones.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

After much digging was able to answer my own question: looks like all Sprint LTE phones are already dual band and will work on 1900 and 800. The 2500 is the only thing you are missing out on with current, pre-tri-band phones.

800mhz is voice 1900mhz is LTE data on the S4 not sure what phone you have. 2500mhz won't be around for a while for most people so I wouldn't worry.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

italianotampa

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

No, 800 for voice only, not data (lte)

Posted via Android Central App

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

I understand progression fully. Just making a comment how Sprint has changed up frequencies due to mergers and buyouts it had become very expensive to stay current and get the most out of the network.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

lennyj17

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

Anyone know if there are any phones in the current Sprint line-up that are dual-band, i.e. support both 800 and 1900 (but not 2500)? I've just seriously damaged my screen glass and probably can't hold out until september for tri-bands. I'm most concerned about missing out on the 800 propagation benefits for a couple of years. I don't necessarily need the scary speed of 2.5 band on a phone but missing out on the better signal would be a bummer.

Only for Voice on 1X Advanced is currently what 800 in current devices is utilized for. As far as LTE chips Sprint is skipping dual band and going right to Tri-Band from the Single Band (1900 LTE) phones we have now.

If you are in the Market for an Upgrade at this point, or any time in future. I WOULD NOT upgrade to the Current crop of LTE phones for the simple fact they're 1900 LTE only. You want a Tri-Band LTE Phone even if your area doesn't have LTE on 800 or 2.5 as of yet, why, because it future proofs your device so that when these bands DO come online in your area you phone can take immediate advantage of the spectrum, without needing to upgrade the device again.

800/1900/2.5 will be the standard spectrum for Sprint LTE for quite some time, and its all they'll need for now to keep Speeds/Low Pings consistent while maintaining an Unlimited offering. We will be well into LTE A and nearing VoLTE deployment before you see Sprint adding additional spectrum other band classes to handsets.

NYC, LA, Chicago and SF...Will be the first BIG Cities to see 2.5 deployment, and they'll need it, these are the most congested and densely populated markets in the Country, so Sprint needs to get 800 and 2.5 out quickly, because the 5x5 pipe on 1900 won't hold out for long before congestion starts to set in. We will start to see LTE Go live on 800 and 2.5 in these markets and some others before the end of the year and for that you want to have a Tri-Band device in your hands.

From what we know....the tri-band launch devices will be a re-released S4, the Note 3 and the LG Optimus. I hope HTC will have a Tri-band launch device, I'm hearing speculation that the EVO brand may be making a come back with Sprint picking up the Butterfly 2 and re branding it as an EVO. Which is good because I always felt like the EVO was a stronger brand on Sprint than the One, store clerks have to continuously reassure customers that the One is an EVO upgrade, people are still looking for that EVO name.

The Moto X will NOT be a Tri-band device

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site

Future-proofing is always a good idea.
My upgrade is Dec 1st so a Tri-Band Galaxy S4 would be perfect for me.
Highly probable that the other 2 bands will come online in the 20 months that I will have it.
Hope it all falls that way.

Mav. :cool:

kidstechno

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site

Even T-Mobile has surpassed Sprint for LTE coverage. Sprint is becoming a joke. Unless they step it up with all this Softbank/Clearwire/Nextel re-provision in the next 6 months, I'm out. I love having Unlimited data but when it takes me 5 minutes to watch a 30 second YouTube clip, what's the point?

lennyj17

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

T-Mobile isn't RE-BUILDING it's entire network like Sprint is.... Why is this fact constantly lost on People... If you can't hold out, you need to jump ship, No amount of complaining is going to make Sprint move faster, its just not humanly possible.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Even T-Mobile has surpassed Sprint for LTE coverage. Sprint is becoming a joke. Unless they step it up with all this Softbank/Clearwire/Nextel re-provision in the next 6 months, I'm out. I love having Unlimited data but when it takes me 5 minutes to watch a 30 second YouTube clip, what's the point?

This was my feeling about 2 years ago when I left Sprint for att. Unlimited data was a GREAT concept. But the issue was it wasn't usable in my area. Right now HSPA+ gets me about 10megs down in Vermont! And thats not even true 4G LTE yet. I think Sprint needs to work on its back bone network as well and I know they are trying but they have promised upgrades for years and they never delivered in my town/state. Even when I was back and forth from home to Boston, MA WiMax wasn't that consistent. Tried using it in the malls and it would still lag out even with 2-3 bars.

Maybe in a few more years after Sprint gets their act together people MIGHT migrate back to them. But in the end time will tell. I personally think the Softbank/Clearwire merger was a great thing for them. Lets hope they put that money to good use.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

There will be triband phones, not triband towers.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

lennyj17

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

This was my feeling about 2 years ago when I left Sprint for att. Unlimited data was a GREAT concept. But the issue was it wasn't usable in my area. Right now HSPA+ gets me about 10megs down in Vermont! And thats not even true 4G LTE yet. I think Sprint needs to work on its back bone network as well and I know they are trying but they have promised upgrades for years and they never delivered in my town/state. Even when I was back and forth from home to Boston, MA WiMax wasn't that consistent. Tried using it in the malls and it would still lag out even with 2-3 bars.

So you keep reminding us OVER, and OVER, and OVER, and OVER again, I think we got it the last 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times you mentioned it......Dude We're All Glad You're Over the Moon with AT&T,

We understand that its Fun to Bash Sprint right now while they're down. But remember the saying "Slow and Steady wins the race", and something tells me with how slow this is taking Sprint to do Network Vision "RIGHT" the network will be solid by the time its complete. I'll love to see where AT&T will be at, with its Gazillion different spectrum frequencies none of which are consistent across the US.

Let's see if you're still cheerleading AT&T when Sprint has Network Vision complete and LTE is blazing on consistent nationwide spectrum in 3 bands. I have a feeling Sprint and Softbank won't have any problem getting subs back.

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Good point. Att & tmo have had their network issues in the past. Sprint has the money now to build up 2500 & 800 mhz.

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Lenny I can understand your anger sometimes but it seems he can't ever say anything bad without you flipping your lid. You stick up for them but even you say you're on Verizon.

If you loved them that much.. You'd be on Sprint not Verizon. Sure go ahead and say you're on Verizon because Sprint is bad right now...... But that's what he is saying! The same thing! They ARE bad right now.. He isn't saying for life and forever... You take it as if he is though. You can't stick up for them so hard core when even yourself isn't on them because they are bad right now.....

I am like you in a way... I want Sprint to do good... But I'm sorry they aren't good right now. Places I got LTE in Jacksonville? Great!.... Other than that... 0.3Mbit average down... Sorry.. Not good enough. Music buffered and stuff.. Annoying. So I swapped to tmobile and love having data again.. If Sprint fixes their act in the future I'll possibly switch back.. Just like you..

So try not to bash people so hard when you're not even on them since you know how it is... NOW... Not how they will be in the future.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

Last edited:

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Lenny I can understand your anger sometimes but it seems he can't ever say anything bad without you flipping your lid. You stick up for them but even you say you're on Verizon.

If you loved them that much.. You'd be on Sprint not Verizon. Sure go ahead and say you're on Verizon because Sprint is bad right now...... But that's what he is saying! The same thing! They ARE bad right now.. He isn't saying for life and forever... You take it as if he is though. You can't stuck up for them so hard core when even yourself isn't on them because they are bad right now.....

I am like you in a way... I want Sprint to do good... But I'm sorry they aren't good right now. Places I got LTE in Jacksonville? Great!.... Other than that... 0.3Mbit average down... Sorry.. Not good enough. Music buffered and stuff.. Annoying. So I swapped to tmobile and love having data again.. If Sprint fixes their act in the future I'll possibly switch back.. Just like you..

So try not to bash people so hard when you're not even on them since you know how it is... NOW... Not how they will be in the future.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

Thanks Almeuit but I just ignore his informationless/opinionness posts. So it's ok! We may all enjoy ant carrier that we wish like i have said in the past. I even have gone as far to say that Sprint's merger is a good thing for them. If he can not see the fact from truth over my posts that is his issue at the end of the day.
I was simply saying what Almeuit said. Sprint is not in a good position right now. I never said it was forever. But what I speak is the truth. Well IMO anyways and your allowed to disagree with me if you would like and I see no hard feelings at all. I do think Sprint has a chance to make a come back this year. It will be hard to gain subs back but its not impossible.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2