Sprint Tri-Band LTE Phone Discussion Thread aka Sprint Spark

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
As more and more info is coming out on the Tri-Band phones that Sprint will have later this year, I thought a single place for any and all discussions would be a good idea.

In a nutshell, Sprint will be broadcasting LTE on 3 different bands which will give great coverage and building penetration.
Those bands are the current 1900 MHz band, the 800 MHz band that Nextel was on and the 2.5 GHz band that Clearwire and now Sprint has.
Both Samsung and LG will be offering phones using all 3 bands by the end of this year.

Sprint has some Tri-Band Hotspot Modems that are out now, but I am looking forward to the phones themselves.

Here are a couple of articles on the subject:

Sprint

Sprint Readies Tri-Band LTE Data Devices, Phones

Who else is looking forward to Sprint's Tri-Band phones?

Mav. :cool:

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Re: Official Sprint Tri-Band LTE Phone Discussion Thread

Well, in another 16 months I guess I will. Until then, I'll be happy if Sprint just finishes building out it's current LTE network so I can get decent LTE coverage and speeds in most places.

lennyj17

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

So far we know the S4 will be re-released with Tri-Band LTE. Very Good chance the Note 3 will also release with tri-band LTE. Still can figure out if the Moto X will have Tri-band or 1900-only.

One thing I do know, with Tri-Band LTE so close to release, I would NOT upgrade to anything 1900-only at this point (HTC One, Current S4), just makes no sense if I had to purchase something off Ebay or Amazon to hold me over. It's just a waste of an Upgrade.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site

I have not heard about the S4 being re-released with Tri-Band. That would be cool.
Best of all worlds.
I do not think the Moto X will be Tri-Band but I could be wrong. Guess we will know in about 6 weeks.

I agree with you. I will not upgrade until I see what Tri-Band will be offering.
Of course, as my upgrade is not until Dec 1st, I kinda have no choice. ;)

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Sounds really cool. But... When would towers actually be servicing all three frequencies? Is that something that was already done when NV equipment was installed at cell towers and all they have to do is remotely turn it on?

lennyj17

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

I have not heard about the S4 being re-released with Tri-Band. That would be cool.
Best of all worlds.
I do not think the Moto X will be Tri-Band but I could be wrong. Guess we will know in about 6 weeks.

I agree with you. I will not upgrade until I see what Tri-Band will be offering.
Of course, as my upgrade is not until Dec 1st, I kinda have no choice. ;)

Yea it was announced about a month back that the S4 would be re-released with Snapdragon 800 processor (Tri-Band LTE) chip. Once that first Tri-band LTE comes out every LTE that proceeds it should have Tri-band even Mid-Range and Low-end LTE handsets. S4 will be re-released in Late Sept, it may be the phone that kicks it off.

Sounds really cool. But... When would towers actually be servicing all three frequencies? Is that something that was already done when NV equipment was installed at cell towers and all they have to do is remotely turn it on?

NV is already primed to run all 3 bands only thing needed is inserting cards at the base stations, will be quick and painless process. 800 LTE will start to go live in October, while 2.5 LTE will follow shortly there after. So by the end of 2013 LTE should be broadcasting on all three bands.

Those that have Tri-Band LTE phones the priority will be 2.5/1900/800 Meaning your phone will look for Clearwire 2.5 first as it will have the largest pipe, and fastest speeds. 2.5 will mostly used be in dense Urban/Suburban locations to offload traffic from the main pipes of 1900 and 800. Once you fall out of 2.5 coverage your phone will then fallback to 1900 LTE and finally 800 LTE when deep inside buildings or where 1900 doesn't reach.

What I'm not to clear on is if your Phone falls to a lower band because it's out of range of the higher band, once you come back into the higher bands range while on a data session does your phone remain in current band it's using or will it auto switch back to the higher band (interrupting your session)?????

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site

Those that have Tri-Band LTE phones the priority will be 2.5/1900/800 Meaning your phone will look for Clearwire 2.5 first as it will have the largest pipe, and fastest speeds. 2.5 will mostly used be in dense Urban/Suburban locations to offload traffic from the main pipes of 1900 and 800. Once you fall out of 2.5 coverage your phone will then fallback to 1900 LTE and finally 800 LTE when deep inside buildings or where 1900 doesn't reach.

What I'm not to clear on is if your Phone falls to a lower band because it's out of range of the higher band, once you come back into the higher bands range while on a data session does your phone remain in current band it's using or will it auto switch back to the higher band (interrupting your session)?????

I would say it would auto switch to the higher frequency when able to get signal. The question is how aggressively it does that. What I mean is, does the device jump to the higher frequency at the moment of a signal. I would hate to have a solid full bar connection @ 800 just to jump to 2.5 with barely a signal just cause it's prioritized that way.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

541rrhse

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

I would say it would auto switch to the higher frequency when able to get signal. The question is how aggressively it does that. What I mean is, does the device jump to the higher frequency at the moment of a signal. I would hate to have a solid full bar connection @ 800 just to jump to 2.5 with barely a signal just cause it's prioritized that way.

On the original EVO 4G (WiMAX), once you got the MSL Code from Sprint you could alter the connect/disconnect parameters in -dBm signal strength.

lennyj17

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

Good point....it'll be interesting to see how those algorithms will work.

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site

I am expecting LG G2 and Samsung Note III to be the two tri-band LTE phones on Sprint this year. People are excited by the GS4-advance but there is no reason to think Samsung is planning a CDMA variant of that for Sprint. I haven't seen anything to indicate that the GS4 LTE-A will have a non-Korean release anywhere, let alone Sprint.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site

I am expecting LG G2 and Samsung Note III to be the two tri-band LTE phones on Sprint this year. People are excited by the GS4-advance but there is no reason to think Samsung is planning a CDMA variant of that for Sprint. I haven't seen anything to indicate that the GS4 LTE-A will have a non-Korean release anywhere, let alone Sprint.

I don't think Samsung would bring the GS4-Advance to the States in any form.
I think (and hope) they make it as a Tri-Band for Sprint re-release later in the year.
I probably would not get the Tri-Band Note III but would love the GS4 in that variant.
That's just me.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the update.
I am really looking forward to the Tri-Band Samsung device that Sprint will have for us later this year.
My upgrade is Dec 1st so good timing for me. :)

Sent from the future on my Galaxy Nexus.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

We're supposed to get a new htc exclusive phone by mid next month, with tri band lte. I'll post up the entire list from s4gru shortly.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

One thing that bothers me about the every changing direction of Sprint is the need to keep changing to a new supporting technology. For some this is okay, for many this is unacceptable that we have had these changes in what a 3 year window? Wimax, then LTE now a tri band LTE phone..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

One thing that bothers me about the every changing direction of Sprint is the need to keep changing to a new supporting technology. For some this is okay, for many this is unacceptable that we have had these changes in what a 3 year window? Wimax, then LTE now a tri band LTE phone..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Tri band won't even be supported on phones till next year. We are not the only ones this is how technology works. Look at T-Mobile and the other carriers. This stuff is always changing for the better it called progression.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

lilotimz

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

Tri band won't even be supported on phones till next year. We are not the only ones this is how technology works. Look at T-Mobile and the other carriers. This stuff is always changing for the better it called progression.

Tri-band phones will be released this year with the first being confirmed to be LG & Samsung devices. They are expecting to start sell tri-band phones around September time frame.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

Tri-band phones will be released this year with the first being confirmed to be LG & Samsung devices. They are expecting to start sell tri-band phones around September time frame.

Nobody will have a network to support it, maybe a few cities. I know there are phones out I'm just saying its not practical to worry about it till next year in the U.S.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2