Stock Phones?

askeeve

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I know Sprint isn't getting the whole "Google Edition" love but any opinions on the best stock phone available on Sprint right now? Or any idea on how this is to change? I've heard rumors about the new Motorola phone but it's not clear if it will be stock android. Any bets on if we'll be getting "google editions" of the htc1 or gs4?

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I know Sprint isn't getting the whole "Google Edition" love but any opinions on the best stock phone available on Sprint right now? Or any idea on how this is to change? I've heard rumors about the new Motorola phone but it's not clear if it will be stock android. Any bets on if we'll be getting "google editions" of the htc1 or gs4?

Just grab the phone of your choice and root it and flash it. Problem solved! Or you will need to pick a GSM network like att or Tmo.

askeeve

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I'd rather not deal with the hassle/void the warranty. I'm considering it as an option but I would really just prefer a stock phone from the get-go.

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Just grab the phone of your choice and root it and flash it. Problem solved! Or you will need to pick a GSM network like att or Tmo.

I wish people would stop saying this. Some apps don't work once you root your device (corporate email/calendar, Time Warner Cable stuff). And on many Sprint phones, the ROMs available are mostly unofficial, unsupported ports of the GSM versions. phones I think it is reasonable to want a stock phone on Sprint, I know I do.

For now, I'm on an LG Optimus G, with Nova launcher, Google keyboard, just sideloaded the 4.3 camera+gallery. If only I could get a solid black status bar.

On Sprint it looks like the upcoming Motorola phone will be your best bet. There are also a couple of Sprint-branded handsets made by ZTE which are close to stock Android. Unfortunately none of these have top of the line specs...

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I wish people would stop saying this. Some apps don't work once you root your device (corporate email/calendar, Time Warner Cable stuff). And on many Sprint phones, the ROMs available are mostly unofficial, unsupported ports of the GSM versions. phones I think it is reasonable to want a stock phone on Sprint, I know I do.

For now, I'm on an LG Optimus G, with Nova launcher, Google keyboard, just sideloaded the 4.3 camera+gallery. If only I could get a solid black status bar.

On Sprint it looks like the upcoming Motorola phone will be your best bet. There are also a couple of Sprint-branded handsets made by ZTE which are close to stock Android. Unfortunately none of these have top of the line specs...

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Actually there's an extremely easy way around app disabling once root access is detected. And I don't know about the g community but the gs3 has loads of stock modded roms as well as custom aosp roms. All built from source, we only just recently started seeing ports.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

askeeve

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Here's why I want a "google edition"/stock android phone without any root. I don't want to have to tell my mother or sister how to root their phone or support it. I don't want to go through the hassle of essentially hacking (even though it's dead easy) a product as soon as I buy it. I want to buy it for what it is not for what it can be. I don't want to void warranties. I don't want to have to unroot and reflash and all that bull**** if I ever need to have it serviced/replaced. I don't want to have to wait for updates from anybody but Google. Why is that so wrong? Is the Motorolla X supposed to be stock android? Any updates on when we can expect it on sprint?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21