Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Thumbs up 4G in Pittsburgh, PA!

So I was playing around with my phone connections and accidentally turned on 4G...and the icon with signal bars appeared! I wasn't expecting it, so checked in the settings and it has Network Provider: Sprint, Signal Strength: Good, and obtains and IP address.

Speedtest is is giving a variety of speeds, anywhere from 1.98-6.85Mbps down/ .95Mbps up, with 300 ping. One odd thing though, is that when going into the speedtest app, it says that I'm in NJ, listing the servers from there 4-45 miles away..instead of a few hundred.

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts

What part of Pittsburgh were you in?

Towers have been found in Carnegie, Dormont, Mt Oliver, Pittsburgh, etc.

If you use the free Sensorly app, you can see street-level maps of 3G and 4G service. Then while you drive, your results are mapped too. The online 4G map does not let you zoom in much.

Hello,

I turned on my 4g antenna in Robinson township (by the mall) and was able to connect today to 4g.
    Nothing yet in the North Fayette area.

sammad

Oakland Shadyside E Liberty Sq Hill Southside Lawrenceville Bloomfield Downtown are all Rock solid......parts Greenfield and down on the Waterfront are live but not strong

Bridgeville pa has 4g confirmed tonight. Speedtest average was between 4-5MB download.

Wow! I tested, on several occasions, only a couple kilobits away from 9 megabits and on only one bar in my house!
    PS. I'm south of the city, in Baldwin/Whitehall on one of the hills above streets run road.

Anyone tested the 4G throughput since the latest EVO update? I'm getting 3 full bars of 4G in Oakland, but the throughput has gone WAY down, so far that I'm getting worse than 3G speeds. I rooted my phone with Unrevoked 3.21, but as far as I know this shouldn't have any effect, being that I still have the stock 4G radio file.