Buying a phone and TEP

bigmo555

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
I want to buy a new phone from Amazon; but I want to make sure I can still get insurance from Sprint (I like being able to go to Sprint for repairs)

Is it true you can only get the TEP from Sprint if you buy the phone from Sprint?

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I want to buy a new phone from Amazon; but I want to make sure I can still get insurance from Sprint (I like being able to go to Sprint for repairs)

Is it true you can only get the TEP from Sprint if you buy the phone from Sprint?

Thank you in advance.

As far as I know, that is correct.

From a SlimROM S3

bigmo555

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
My wife bought her phone from Best Buy and she was able to get TEP, so I'm not sure.

bigmo555

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
No, they tried to sell her their version, but she said no thanks, and they said ok. She then chose Sprint's.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Unless i am mistaken, once TEP is added to your account it covers what ever active device is on your account at the time you file your claim.
If you DONT have TEP then you can only get it at time of purchase of a new phone or at the time of a new contract with new device..
So if you have TEP you can add any phone you want. IF you dont have TEP then you will not be able to add it unless you buy a new phone or do a upgrade / contract extension and get a new phone. Then you have 30 days to add it after purchase.

bigmo555

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the explanation; but can I buy the phone off Amazon as an add-a-line and get TEP? I have it on my current phone.

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Unless i am mistaken, once TEP is added to your account it covers what ever active device is on your account at the time you file your claim.
If you DONT have TEP then you can only get it at time of purchase of a new phone or at the time of a new contract with new device..
So if you have TEP you can add any phone you want. IF you dont have TEP then you will not be able to add it unless you buy a new phone or do a upgrade / contract extension and get a new phone. Then you have 30 days to add it after purchase.

I'm pretty certain this is correct. I know for a fact that TEP will cover whatever device you currently have active on your line. I'm not certain about how you go about adding it to your account if you don't already have it.

Thank you for the explanation; but can I buy the phone off Amazon as an add-a-line and get TEP? I have it on my current phone.

Yes, you can buy a phone from Amazon and it will be covered by your current TEP plan. Throughout my years with Sprint I have purchased at least 3 USED devices on eBay and I've never had an issue with TEP covering them. My current GNex was purchased used on eBay & was a refurb. I just brought it to Sprint this week for repair & TEP covered it.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
My wife bought her phone from Best Buy and she was able to get TEP, so I'm not sure.

Why in the world would you get Assurions insurance over Geek Squad? Geek Squad is a dollar cheaper a month and you get unlimited replacements with no deductible and they cover accessories.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

cheeta186

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Geek squad doesn't cover lost or stolen devices last time I checked. However, that could have changed as I haven't bought a phone from BB in a while. I know at least for me however, that's enough to warrant not getting best boy's insurance plan.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

bigmo555

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
Seems like a lot of people don't realize that with Sprint's TEP you DO NOT have to go through Assurion. You can take your device to any Sprint repair store and they will fix/replace your device for FREE. No deductible.

This is why. Our Sprint repair store is close by and taking the phone there for quick repair or replacement is free (not counting the monthly charge, of course) and does cover lost phones which BB doesn't.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
They replace / fix only for manufacturer defect and physical damage.
Lost / stolen / liquid / damaged beyond repair still require you to file a claim with asurion and pay the deductible.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
pretty sure you can buy it from whereever and call sprint to get the TEP, but you have to do it within the first 30 days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol