Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default White House petition to unlock all phones.

    If accepted by the FCC will this require sprint to unlock all phones especially for domestic use? Thanks.


    http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/17/...ck-all-mobile-
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

    Default White House petition to unlock all phones.

    Okay link broken. Will find it again.

    http://www.androidcentral.com/obama-...medium=twitter
  3. #3  

    Default Re: White House petition to unlock all phones.

    Hope it goes through. This is the reason I left Sprint... Telling me they simply won't unlock my 100% full price bought phone. Ridiculous.

    Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S6 (32 GB) using AC Forums.



    Community Rules & Guidelines
  4. #4  

    Default Re: White House petition to unlock all phones.

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Hope it goes through. This is the reason I left Sprint... Telling me they simply won't unlock my 100% full price bought phone. Ridiculous.

    Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    Ummm, that's because it's not possible to unlock a CDMA device.
    Mine- Sprint: Palm 700p, Palm Treo Pro, HTC Touch, HP Palm Pre, Motorola Admiral, Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G (Jellybean 4.2.2);
    AT&T: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (5.0.1)
    Wife's - Sprint: HP Palm Pre, LG Viper 4G LTE (ICS); Vizio VTAB1008 Tablet (Honeycomb); AT&T: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (4.4.2)
    Daughters' - Nabi2 tablets (ICS); Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0

    Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: White House petition to unlock all phones.

    Quote Originally Posted by prolongExistence View Post
    Ummm, that's because it's not possible to unlock a CDMA device.
    You do realize most if not all of Verizon most recent lte phones come unlocked right ? And you can unlock sprint lte phones for international use as well. ....
  6. #6  

    Default Re: White House petition to unlock all phones.

    Quote Originally Posted by cnotes2019 View Post
    You do realize most if not all of Verizon most recent lte phones come unlocked right ? And you can unlock sprint lte phones for international use as well. ....
    OK. But the point of this proposed law is to be able to unlock a device to port from one carrier to another, such as using an AT&T device on T-Mobile. That is not possible on CDMA. Try using a Verizon device on Sprint or vice versa. Only works on gsm

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app
    Mine- Sprint: Palm 700p, Palm Treo Pro, HTC Touch, HP Palm Pre, Motorola Admiral, Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G (Jellybean 4.2.2);
    AT&T: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (5.0.1)
    Wife's - Sprint: HP Palm Pre, LG Viper 4G LTE (ICS); Vizio VTAB1008 Tablet (Honeycomb); AT&T: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (4.4.2)
    Daughters' - Nabi2 tablets (ICS); Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0

    Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: White House petition to unlock all phones.

    Quote Originally Posted by prolongExistence View Post
    OK. But the point of this proposed law is to be able to unlock a device to port from one carrier to another, such as using an AT&T device on T-Mobile. That is not possible on CDMA. Try using a Verizon device on Sprint or vice versa. Only works on gsm

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app
    The point is to unlock the phone for use anywhere ie using a sprint global phone on ANY CARRIER. Doesn't mean using it on Verizon OMG !! Any carriers means using a global sprint phone on a gsm carrier. The only reason Verizon unlocks their phones is because of the FCC. This would hopefully allow a sprint iPhone 5s to be unlocked for use on domestic and international use out the box. ....
  8. #8  

    Default Re: White House petition to unlock all phones.

    Quote Originally Posted by cnotes2019 View Post
    The point is to unlock the phone for use anywhere ie using a sprint global phone on ANY CARRIER. Doesn't mean using it on Verizon OMG !! Any carriers means using a global sprint phone on a gsm carrier. The only reason Verizon unlocks their phones is because of the FCC. This would hopefully allow a sprint iPhone 5s to be unlocked for use on domestic and international use out the box. ....
    Wow! So much wrong with your statement.
    1. Sprint only has like 1 global phone, its crappy & it costs a fortune.
    2. Where would you put the GSM required SIM card in a Sprint phone?
    3. global = international = outside the US. The FCC & Obama have no control over the networks outside the US
    4. Did you even read the article that YOU linked to?
    5. I mentioned Verizon since Sprint & Verizon are the only CDMA carriers in the US. AT&T and T-Mobile are the GSM carriers (as well as a few other small ones here & there)
    Mine- Sprint: Palm 700p, Palm Treo Pro, HTC Touch, HP Palm Pre, Motorola Admiral, Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G (Jellybean 4.2.2);
    AT&T: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (5.0.1)
    Wife's - Sprint: HP Palm Pre, LG Viper 4G LTE (ICS); Vizio VTAB1008 Tablet (Honeycomb); AT&T: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (4.4.2)
    Daughters' - Nabi2 tablets (ICS); Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0

    Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default White House petition to unlock all phones.

    Wow we are talking about GOING FORWARD and not about phones already out WOW!!! Forward thinkers such as myself will as I've already mentioned state the obvious. THE IPHONE 5s!!! HELLO! Sprints version has pretty much the MOST BANDS then any version which if UNLOCKED could be used on ANY NETWORK. HELLO. DING DING. and yes OBAMA ETC can very well have an affect on phones that can be used in foreign countries. HELLO!! If someone didn't have to WAIT to get there phone unlocked for when they TRAVEL HELLO!! Then they can use their phones whenever out the box HELLO


    Ps. Please waste your life elsewhere. I'm done
  10. #10  

    Default Re: White House petition to unlock all phones.

    Quote Originally Posted by cnotes2019 View Post
    Ps. Please waste your life elsewhere. I'm done
    Phew! So glad you are done trolling.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app
    Mine- Sprint: Palm 700p, Palm Treo Pro, HTC Touch, HP Palm Pre, Motorola Admiral, Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G (Jellybean 4.2.2);
    AT&T: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (5.0.1)
    Wife's - Sprint: HP Palm Pre, LG Viper 4G LTE (ICS); Vizio VTAB1008 Tablet (Honeycomb); AT&T: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (4.4.2)
    Daughters' - Nabi2 tablets (ICS); Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0

    Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: White House petition to unlock all phones.

    Most likely its not gonna happen its our petition against the millions in lobbyist
    Plus you wouldn't get lte on say at&t t mobile very few phones have a gsm band when on cdma you would most likely have horrible reception and low internet speeds
    Sent from my HTC One X+ using AC Forums mobile app
  12. #12  

    Default Re: White House petition to unlock all phones.

    Quote Originally Posted by prolongExistence View Post
    Ummm, that's because it's not possible to unlock a CDMA device.
    Quote Originally Posted by prolongExistence View Post
    OK. But the point of this proposed law is to be able to unlock a device to port from one carrier to another, such as using an AT&T device on T-Mobile. That is not possible on CDMA. Try using a Verizon device on Sprint or vice versa. Only works on gsm

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app
    It very much is possible. Take the HTC One and the Galaxy S4. Both have the CDMA radios and the GSM radios. When I threw in a T-Mobile SIM to my Sprint HTC One it would say the SIM is locked. If i could of had the phone unlocked by Sprint I would of been able to use it on T-Mobile or AT&T... But Sprint will only unlock for international carriers (on purpose) so you can't use your phone on AT&T or T-Mobile.

    So yeah.. You can.

    Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S6 (32 GB) using AC Forums.



    Community Rules & Guidelines
  13. #13  

    Default Re: White House petition to unlock all phones.

    Quote Originally Posted by prolongExistence View Post
    Wow! So much wrong with your statement.
    1. Sprint only has like 1 global phone, its crappy & it costs a fortune.
    2. Where would you put the GSM required SIM card in a Sprint phone?
    1. HTC One and Galaxy S4
    2. In the SIM card slot... That is... Provided since these phones have GSM radios as well as the CDMA. For an example see the below link where one of the good members on this forum with a Galaxy S4 had to have his SIM reprogrammed since a Sprint rep did it wrong and he couldn't get LTE.

    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=2974282



    You really should keep up with your information before just flat out telling people they are wrong...

    Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S6 (32 GB) using AC Forums.



    Community Rules & Guidelines
  14. #14  

    Default Re: White House petition to unlock all phones.

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    1. HTC One and Galaxy S4
    2. In the SIM card slot... That is... Provided since these phones have GSM radios as well as the CDMA. For an example see the below link where one of the good members on this forum with a Galaxy S4 had to have his SIM reprogrammed since a Sprint rep did it wrong and he couldn't get LTE.

    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=2974282



    You really should keep up with your information before just flat out telling people they are wrong...

    Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    The bigger question is do the radios support the bands the gsm carriers have? Take the droid dna on verizon it does support a few at&t bands lte is useless only supports edge or maybe hspa but its slow and spotty
    What you need to do is for a one root s-off use super cid to change it to an at&t cid reprogram dns and apn settings and see if any devs have an at&t or t mobile radio

    Sent from my HTC One X+ using AC Forums mobile app
  15. #15  

    Default Re: White House petition to unlock all phones.

    Check this out http://www.quora.com/Anderson-Patric...k-Instructions

    Sent from my HTC One X+ using AC Forums mobile app
  16. #16  

    Default Re: White House petition to unlock all phones.

    Quote Originally Posted by metle_geek View Post
    The bigger question is do the radios support the bands the gsm carriers have? Take the droid dna on verizon it does support a few at&t bands lte is useless only supports edge or maybe hspa but its slow and spotty
    What you need to do is for a one root s-off use super cid to change it to an at&t cid reprogram dns and apn settings and see if any devs have an at&t or t mobile radio

    Sent from my HTC One X+ using AC Forums mobile app
    Yes it has the bands to work. It's also why this phone works international on GSM carriers.

    My main thing is he is saying you can't unlock these phones and said Sprint has only 1 global roaming phone and then said there are no SIM cards which back in the day this was true for CDMA... Not always the case now.... So his statements are wrong and he called someone out for trolling when they weren't.. They were right.


    Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S6 (32 GB) using AC Forums.



    Community Rules & Guidelines
  17. #17  

    Default Re: White House petition to unlock all phones.

    OK. I'll be man enough to admit that my info was dated. As far as calling him out on trolling, I'll just say read his history.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app
    Mine- Sprint: Palm 700p, Palm Treo Pro, HTC Touch, HP Palm Pre, Motorola Admiral, Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G (Jellybean 4.2.2);
    AT&T: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (5.0.1)
    Wife's - Sprint: HP Palm Pre, LG Viper 4G LTE (ICS); Vizio VTAB1008 Tablet (Honeycomb); AT&T: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (4.4.2)
    Daughters' - Nabi2 tablets (ICS); Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0

    Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
    metle_geek likes this.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: White House petition to unlock all phones.

    I think it would be more of a benefit to petition google to only license android os as long as the user has the right to root access (a option in the settings menu?)

    Posted via Android Central App
    He who stands on toilet is high on pot
  19. #19  

    Default Re: White House petition to unlock all phones.

    Um.. The Carriers already do this! Within 2 days of your Contract ENDING, they will unlock your phone
    U.S. Wireless Carriers Agree To Make Unlocking Your Cell Phone Easier

    But you cannot just take any phone and unlock it and it will work with whomever you want.. They only come with specific bands that you can't just add or remove..

    however, the IPHONE 5S is already compatible with all the major carriers...
    Iphone 5s from AT&T/TMOBILE is 100% Compatible with ATT/TMOBILE and all Canadian Carriers and LTE/VOLTE only on Verizon.. the Verizon IPHONE 5S/5C is 100% compatible with ALL CARRIERS including Canada except SPRINT and sprint... is all alone
    White House petition to unlock all phones.-unlock.png

    The Hope with LTE and VOLTE is that in the future, You won't need to go to Verizon or AT&T or SPRINT To buy a cell phone! With Verizon and SPRINT Both planning on Dropping CDMA! In the Future, you will go to best buy and see PHONES... You won't go to the Verizon section or AT&T Section, you will just see a clutter of phones, pick one and then the carrier...
  20. #20  

    Default Re: White House petition to unlock all phones.

    ^^^^^^^

    They do that already, it's called a Nexus 5. Welcome to the future
    Thanked by:
  21. #21  

    Default Re: White House petition to unlock all phones.

    I'm fighting with Sprint right now to get my Moto X unlocked for international use. They have a company policiy that they will only unlock one device per user per year. They already unlocked a device for me. Too bad, it was flaky and I got it replaced under warrantee, and they don't have data that Moto replaced it, as far as they know, I sold the old one and bought a new one.

    It's a stupid and customer-unfriendly policy on their part. I may be able to convince them it really, honest-to-gosh, was replaced by Moto. If I do, I'll probably forgive them for the PITA. If not, I may just break my contract and make them take me to small claims court or something, since they didn't provide the services promised. (I specifically checked that the phone could be unlocked prior to purchasing it.) In either case, I have yet another reason to shop around for a different carrier next time. Alas, I don't really love any of the carriers, but it seems like there is more choice in the market than there used to me.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: White House petition to unlock all phones.

    This is going the hurt the poor people. You take away the lock, good bye subsidized phones. Who do you think has the greater interest in subsidized phones? The carrier? No. The customer? A little hotter....The phone manufacture? Yep.... The the number of iphones sales would not be where they are with out subsidized programs. A carrier is not going to hand a person a $700 dollar phone for $200 with out some leverage, with out that leverage its too big of a gamble. With out two year service agreements, iphones will be for the rich and trendy instead of for the masses.


    Food for thought: You can not unlock a new iphone with out modifying the devices software/firmware. Who owns the firmware, software? The carrier has no authority over the software/firmware on a device nor do they do anything to change the stock iOS and if they would, they would be violating Apples TOU. To those who unlocked for international travel using a carrier, please tell everyone what program you did it with.....and who owns it. (hint: its also a fruit)

    The big bad wolf is not the carrier.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: White House petition to unlock all phones.

    It won't hurt poor people. They would be able to buy cheaper phones without paying for a contract that is inflated in price to subsidize an expensive phone. In fact, they can already do this on several minor carriers and the "budget" arm of major carriers. They would just be able to buy the generally better service levels provided by a major carrier without paying th subsidy.

    You are right that it would hurt the manufacterers of expensive phones.

    I think it would also hurt the major carriers, as they would have to pay more for customer retention. Basically, it would make the playing field more competative for them. But it would hurt Apple more.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: White House petition to unlock all phones.

    How does no longer subsidizing phones make it more expensive to retain a customer? The truth is subsidies hurt more the smaller your customer base due to negotiations with manafactures. AT&T can get a better price for iphones than tmobile due to the scale of their customer base. Poor people can no longer afford Iphones. I'm not sure how you say poor people are not hurt when a subsidized option is removed....with nothing gained. They can already buy a cheaper phone and cheaper contract.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: White House petition to unlock all phones.

    Quote Originally Posted by danewphoneguy View Post
    This is going the hurt the poor people. You take away the lock, good bye subsidized phones. Who do you think has the greater interest in subsidized phones? The carrier? No. The customer? A little hotter....The phone manufacture? Yep.... The the number of iphones sales would not be where they are with out subsidized programs. A carrier is not going to hand a person a $700 dollar phone for $200 with out some leverage, with out that leverage its too big of a gamble. With out two year service agreements, iphones will be for the rich and trendy instead of for the masses.


    Food for thought: You can not unlock a new iphone with out modifying the devices software/firmware. Who owns the firmware, software? The carrier has no authority over the software/firmware on a device nor do they do anything to change the stock iOS and if they would, they would be violating Apples TOU. To those who unlocked for international travel using a carrier, please tell everyone what program you did it with.....and who owns it. (hint: its also a fruit)

    The big bad wolf is not the carrier.
    Screw the carrier, screw the manufacturer, screw TOU.

    Nexus. The idea of a carrier controlled software is outdated. Love the idea of bypassing the carrier with manufacturer updates.

    Hands down, better customer experience when the carrier is bypassed with updates.

    To me, it allows for true and a more competitive market (win for customers), if I don't like a carrier, I simply take my current phone and move on to a different carrier with the switch of a sim. "world" phones like the nexus are a much more enjoyable experience since it has all the radios embedded that one can dream of. Hopefully more and more manufacturers will follow through: Samsung, LG, Apple etc etc, or the FCC should impose some sort of amendment that they should have to similar to how the European countries use the same sim for the all their carriers.

    Absolutely no reason why Samsung, LG, HTC, Apple etc. should have to release 4 different models of the same phone for different radio bands for each carrier.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. how do i change default from youtube app to web based youtube?
    By preppystud in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-25-2013, 12:53 AM
  2. how to put it on standup without screen lock?
    By preppystud in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-23-2013, 03:24 AM
  3. Battery life has gone down hill all of a sudden
    By braxtoq in forum Verizon Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-19-2013, 08:54 PM
  4. Google keyboard locks phone up
    By jsigmo in forum AT&T Galaxy S II
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-18-2013, 12:19 AM
  5. download music & books to Galaxy s4 from iTunes on iMac
    By Kamakoa in forum Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-17-2013, 08:26 PM

Posting Permissions