Sprint family plan vs adding 2nd line?

tiggrev

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
First of all, I just got my new EVO from sprint.com (shipped next day) and am loving it so far. I signed up for the Everything Data 450 plan.

Now here's the downside ... after seeing the BIG grin on my face every time I pull it out (uh, the EVO that is) my wife wants to toss her ancient dumb phone (she has AT&T basic service) and get one too.

A rep at the local Sprint store says I would need to sign up for the Everything Data Family plan (2 lines with 1500 voice minutes) which is $129.99 plus $20 ($10 each for the '4G tax'), or $149.99 a month. That is almost double my current plan ($79.99)!

Is it possible to order a 2nd EVO online and just ADD a line to my plan for $30 or $40 extra? We don't need the extra minutes since 450 a month is plenty for both of us.

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:

cmacelis

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
unfortunately no, i wish Sprint had a lower family minutes plan, between me my girlfriend we only use about 300 minutes everything else is mobile to mobile
Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The family plan doesn't really save you money until you're at 3 lines or more.

You're best bet is to check to see if Sprint has any employee discounts you can use, or you can join a credit union for a 25% discount. That gets the total cost down around $150 (~$130 plan and fees + $20 premium data).

We have than plan with the discount with one Evo and the total comes out to $138/mo.

jrun

May 27, 2010
Visit site

You're best bet is to check to see if Sprint has any employee discounts you can use, or you can join a credit union for a 25% discount. That gets the total cost down around $150 (~$130 plan and fees + $20 premium data).

We have than plan with the discount with one Evo and the total comes out to $138/mo.

Dude.. thanks for that tip!! i was only getting 15% discount thru my work.. now i'm getting 23% thru my credit union :)

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site

Thanks for the info!!

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
the family plan saves money over two single plans....not a ton, but savings is savings.

the whole minute thing is bogus. i think in an average month, we use maybe 30 minutes.

BigAinCA

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Just called Sprint about the 25% discount for being a credit union member. Not all credit unions it appears get the 25% discount. According to the Sprint rep I talked to "most" credit unions are eligible for only a 10% discount although there are some that receive bigger discount depending on the agreement the they have with sprint.

I am currently getting a 15% discount for being military but the rep said their system is currently down but he would upgrade my account if the credit union discount is bigger than my military once the system came back up. :)

mcll

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Anyone is eligible to sign up for the employee referral plan, it is 20/month off any plan. My wife and I have the family unlimited everything for 109/month

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
the family plan saves money over two single plans....not a ton, but savings is savings.

the whole minute thing is bogus. i think in an average month, we use maybe 30 minutes.

Yeah, it does save $10 and you get more minutes, but that's almost just a token discount.

But with Unlimited Anytime Mobile, it would be nice if they had a plan for two phones at around 700 minutes that was $100 - $110. I think we average around 400 minutes off the plan each month.

Still a good deal either way.

mynetdude

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
You can't add a 2nd line with Everything Data 450???

I have the Simply Everything Unlimited $99 individual plan and IIRC I can add a 2nd line (or more) for $89 each line (or $99 with EVO or Epic, etc) That isn't a good deal at all unless all of your family members use more minutes than the family plans with minutes have to offer.

I don't get a discount with my everything unlimited plan lol... heck they won't even discount my 3g aircard contract because I am already getting a discount just for having two contracts ;) they are finding ways to not give me 10-20% off :p

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Wish I could add an Android phone to my SERO plan. Got the Touch Pro 2, and I hope the Android build gets everything someday.

daveray44

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
The ED450 plan is an independent plan, so cannot be shared. Sprint does have the Basic 200 plan for 29.99 if your wife wants a basic phone, but only has nights at 9pm, no texting, data, etc. If your wife also wants the EVO or the Epic, the ED1500 plan is a better value. Your current plan, before any discounts, is 79.99. Double this to add your wife to the same plan, is 159.98. The ED1500 plan is 129.99 plus 20.00 for Premium Data charge would be 149.99. This is a 10.00 savings. As was noted above, the value gets better as more lines are added on to share. As for me, we dumped our landline soon after Anymoble came out.

daveray44

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
to mynetdude

The SE plans have a built in discount of 10.00 for each SE plan added on after the 1st 99.99 plan. There are no discounts allowed other than this discount. Sprint calls them a shared plan but since everything is unlimited, no features are shared, except for the discount. For 169.99, you get 3000 land line minutes and any employer or membership discount would apply.
What is hard to figure out usage for the SE plans and to compare to other Sprint plans, is the billing system does not allow tracking calls during the month to other cells and peak times shown on the bill are from 7am-9pm. A look at your phone calls and usage may help to figure out if a plan change would be worth a shot.
One reminder is if you do change plans, dial *4 from time to time to check usage. If things are getting to close, call customer care before your bill cycle closes and ask for overage relief minutes. The cost is 5.00/100 min and can be bought in 5.00 increments, but not the same amount.

MDteX

May 14, 2010
Visit site
One thing Sprint did recently is to remove any discounts from lines 3 and above. Discounts only apply to the first 2 lines on a family plan.

Since this is a change in the contract you are able to cancel service without any ETFs.

Basically my plan went up $45 due to losing the discount and the $10 surcharge for the EVOs. I have 30 days to decide if I want to switch.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I am a bit confused. I get a 15% employee discount (really, a State Employee Discount).

Now there is a $20 employee discount I can get?

And there's some credit union discount that can be as much as 25%? How do I tell if my credit union can participate in that? Do I need to call?

I assume I cannot stack these?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz