Can't turn off wifi

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
On both of my Boost Mobile handsets I have been unsuccessful at keeping my WiFi turned off.

I turn it off in settings, I unchecked the Connections Optimizer in More Settings, I tried 3rd party apps to try to keep WiFi shut off but nothing has worked.

Does anyone know how to keep WiFi turned off on the Boost Mobile network? Thanks.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I also tried shutting it off in Apps Settings (but I don't think I tried "disable" yet).

Sent from my C5170 via Tapatalk 2

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Might also be helpful to post this in the device specific category.

I can guess that you are using a C5170 and LG870 but i have no clue what they are or what version of android is on them or anything like that.. But if it was in a device specific category it would get peoples attention who would have them or more knowledge of them.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. After the phone is done charging I'll post in the device forum with screen shots.

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm not at all trying to be mean or sarcastic but I'm not sure why you want to turn it off in the first place. If WiFi is available then you are certainly better off using that instead of your carriers data. WiFi will most likely be faster & is better on battery life. If there is no WiFi available then it will just use your carrier 3G/4G. Pretty sure there is no noticeable battery drain by leaving it on.
So, just curious, why are you trying so hard to turn it off?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
The only WiFi I have is slower than dial up. My data might be slightly better, I wanted to see. :)

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm. A quick Google search on the 2 devices in your signature lines shows an lg & a kyocera. Since they are 2 different manufacturers I would say that Boost forces WiFi at all times to reduce your data usage. As others mentioned, try the forums here for those devices or try the 'Other carriers' forum here for Boost specific problems.
I seriously doubt a factory reset would solve the problem since it is a problem on 2 different devices.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes, that's what I assumed, but I was hoping some other customers may know for sure. I did post in the device section, but I haven't heard anything there I don't think. Thanks. :thumbup:

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
A custom ROM is sure to fix the issue although I have no clue if any are available for those devices.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure. There are people working on rooting so I assume there are ROMs that can be used. But unfortunately I don't have a working computer and unsure if/when I will, so that's off the table. I guess I'll just have to live with the WiFi and slow data problems until I can change my other line from Sprint to GoPhone (or whatever carrier is best wherever I may be by then). Thank you for the suggestions. :beer::thumbup:

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
I had a virgin mobile lg phone and it did the same thing. I think as stated above, the providers are trying to force it. No issues since I got on the virgin mobile iPhone

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk - now Free

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Oh, OK. This is good to know. Thank you for replying. I'm looking forward to having one of my lines off the Sprint network. :) (Not sure when, but I'm still looking forward to it.)

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Is the slow WiFi connection a network that you have control over? If so then secure it with a password. Then your phone won't be able to connect to it unless you put in the password.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi, yes. It's too late. I might be able to remove the password but then the phone will just keep looking for WiFi anyway. Thanks though! :beer:

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi, yes. It's too late. I might be able to remove the password but then the phone will just keep looking for WiFi anyway. Thanks though! :beer:

Well yes, it will keep looking for WiFi but when there is no WiFi network connected it will use carrier data. Pretty sure the battery usage of searching for WiFi would be minimal. Just need to tell your phone to forget that slow WiFi network.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I could try it and see how the battery is. Maybe after a fresh charge so I can best measure my phone's performance. :thumbup:

I know on my Kyocera that the constant searching for WiFi was a big battery drain. Also Boost Mobile so I couldn't shut it off. :rolleyes:

RLeask

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Found out why my Galaxy s5 on Consumer Cell wouldn't turn off wifi, it was Avast mobile security. When I swapped in the CC sim Avast started tracking the phone with "untrusted sim". Unrelated to phone model or carrier.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital