Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Verdes8891
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sprint Doing its Best To Repell New Customers

I don't get Sprint sometimes. Their service is ok, I suppose. I do get LTE at work and at home. But my wife, who now has T-Mobile, consistently gets faster data speed than I do even when I have LTE and she's on 3G. And her monthly bill is less. Despite all that, I have no problems with Sprint, until recently when two family members tried to sign up with Sprint and for some reason, Sprint spared no effort in frustrating them into going across the street to sign up with T-Mobile.

1st adventure: My brother wanted to get a Note 3 from the local store in Daly City. The rep there told him that they ONLY sell Note 3s with the (in my opinion) useless Galaxy Gear (which is basically the watch). He refused to sell him just the Note 3. We ask to speak to a manager, and wouldn't you know it, the rep comes back sans manager saying, "We'll make a special exception for you." He then tries to sell my brother a tablet, to which he says no. The rep goes into the back for a minute then comes back and says, "We're out of stock of the Note 3, sorry. We just sold the last one." We go to another Sprint store and ask a rep there to check Note 3 stock of the Daly City store. Apparently, they had 16 in stock. This new rep appeared frustrated and told us that that particular store keeps "doing this. We keep getting customers from that store because they won't sell phones without the accessories." I guess Sprint pressures its stores to sell a certain amount of accessories with each phone. The pressure appears to be so high that they are willing to turn new customers away in order to meet those numbers.

2nd adventure: My brother-in-law goes into a Sprint store with an Evo 4G LTE that I gave him and wants to sign up for service. But, and this shocked me but maybe it shouldn't, he could not sign up for a service plan without agreeing to a 2-year contract. I pointed out that he wasn't getting a subsidized phone (for example, you can get an iPhone 5C for $99 with a 2-year contract instead of buying a phone full price which would be like $550 for the same phone), so why would he be required to get a 2-year contract? And, surprise, surprise, the Evo 4G LTE does not qualify for Sprint's pay-as-you-go plans. The rep did not have a good answer re the 2-year contract requirement except to say: "That's just how Sprint does it." I guess the way "Sprint does it" is to recommend people go to T-Moble (which is cheaper and has better service in our area, I might add.) Why on earth would a customer be REQUIRED to get a 2-year agreement for a new line when said customer is bringing his/her own phone and not getting a subsidized phone? My brother-in-law went to T-Mobile across the street with an old Galaxy Nexus I used for work that I was happy to give him and they were more than happy to take his money for service and set him up with an account w/o requiring a 2-year contract.

These are two instances of people going into a Sprint store WITH MONEY IN HAND SPECIFICALLY TO SIGN UP FOR SPRINT SERVICE only to get turned away. Is Sprint doing that well that they can afford to pick and choose customers? It's like their corporate philosophy towards potential customers is "My way or the highway!" as if customers don't have any other options. I mean, I've heard horror stories from Verizon with their draconian policies, but at least they have the network to back it up. Sprint's network really isn't all that good despite years of promises of improving their network in our area. I mean, when compared to Verizon, AT&T or even when compared to T-Mobile, Sprint falls way short.

And I won't even go into the nightmare I experienced trying to activate my Nexus 5 with Sprint. As soon as my contract is up, I'm taking my lines to T-Mobile. I've just about had it with Sprint.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Or are my local Sprint stores uniquely bad?
    Last edited by danyzfr6; 11-11-2013 at 11:45 AM.

Default Re: Sprint Doing its Best To Repell New Customers

Sounds crappy. And I've heard of similar story's told by friends about one Sprint store near us. They tried to tell me they aren't allowed to sell full price phones.

Either way I left. They wouldn't unlock my fully bought phones... Their 3g was dial up speeds at times... T-Mobile is the best for me at the best price.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Vote with your money. If Sprint isn't doing it for you it's time to move on.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

And that's why you need to find out which stores are corporate stores and only deal with those. The little side shops are embarrassing and Sprint should shut most of them down since they don't even provide a worthwhile experience. The local one by me doesn't even have G2 or Nexus 5s on display. I think the newest phone they have besides Apple's are the old-colored Ones
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Absolutely! As soon as my contract is up, I'm heading elsewhere.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Saneless View Post
    And that's why you need to find out which stores are corporate stores and only deal with those. The little side shops are embarrassing and Sprint should shut most of them down since they don't even provide a worthwhile experience. The local one by me doesn't even have G2 or Nexus 5s on display. I think the newest phone they have besides Apple's are the old-colored Ones
    The store in Daly City is a corporate store, at least according to Sprint.com's store locator. They do sales and repairs there.

Just because a store does sales and repair makes it a corporate store not. LOL yoda.. ahahh sorry that sucked..
    Anyway, 3rd party stores often times can offer those same services. In Texas we have a lot of places owned by a place called The Customer Center.
    Sprint corporate stores tend to have a different look to them. Once you have been in one you will know what to look for. Only deal with them.
    Back when i was on sprint i too had a similar dealing with a store when the EVO and EVO LTE launched. They only wanted to see me a phone IF i bundled it with a $100 accessory pack.
    Fortunately for we consumers T-Mobile is making it easier for people like me to test the water and see just how much greener it is on the other side.
    Spring = 11 years and now T-Mobile 11 months. Im not looking back. Thank You T-Mobile.
    DropBox lets you sync files across Android, iOS, and Desktop Computers. Sign up for free, install, get me and you extra space! DropBox
    Twitter @AndroidTechGuy and @IAmSixNine
    Google+Google+

Quote Originally Posted by danyzfr6 View Post
    The store in Daly City is a corporate store, at least according to Sprint.com's store locator. They do sales and repairs there.
    Ew. You'd think they'd be run better then.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Good point. I just called the store, and, unless they're lying, they told me they are a corporate store. And Sprint's website lists the store as a corporate store. So, I'm going to assume it is a corporate store.

Posted via Android Central App

Man, that sucks. Our little corporate store in podunk Wisconsin is awesome. They bend over backwards to provide the best service. Never, ever, had a problem and know several others who feel the same way.

I wonder if it is the store manager that makes a difference and pushes their employees to act this way. But, like you, I don't get it - isn't selling a Note 3 without accessories better than selling no Note 3?

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

No good! I'd look else where if I was you too. Good luck.
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    If any of my posts help you don't forget to thank/like it!!

The last time I was in a Sprint store they were amazingly nice. I was only buying a feature phone and they didn't have it there so the sales rep actually drove me to the Best Buy (it wasn't far, but still, incredible).

Nevertheless the speeds here are so bad and after I got that phone their billing messed up and they started overbilling and that messed up a bunch of months for me. Each time I called CS I was told something different about the billing.

As soon as I can pay the etf I'm outta there. I already have my n5 waiting for the day.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

I don't like how Sprint treats its existing customers. Sometimes. And they probably are not too different than others. I wouldn't know. My specific gripe is that in regards to the fourteen day return option, you will pay a $35 restocking fee and $35 activation fee. So return in 14 and pay 70.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Friderichsohn View Post
    I don't like how Sprint treats its existing customers. Sometimes. And they probably are not too different than others. I wouldn't know. My specific gripe is that in regards to the fourteen day return option, you will pay a $35 restocking fee and $35 activation fee. So return in 14 and pay 70.
    Sadly that BS comes with all of the carriers. (That I know of anyways.)
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    If any of my posts help you don't forget to thank/like it!!
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Man, that sucks. Our little corporate store in podunk Wisconsin is awesome. They bend over backwards to provide the best service. Never, ever, had a problem and know several others who feel the same way.

I wonder if it is the store manager that makes a difference and pushes their employees to act this way. But, like you, I don't get it - isn't selling a Note 3 without accessories better than selling no Note 3?
    Yeah, it is better, but like you suggested, it's often the manager that influences certain behaviors. Just the way it is when dealing with people on commission. Some understand how annoying it is to be pushed to buy more, and others just don't care how annoying they come off as. Sometimes you get lucky with a nice person, which is better for them as you might come seek out that specific person in the future.

The last time I went to Sprint, I think the rep knew not to push me to buy extra stuff and I was in and out pretty quick, but he still gave off a jerky vibe like he didn't even want to bother selling me a phone since he knew he wouldn't make anything off it. I understand where he's coming from, but still, you need to push that attitude aside...

Look at it this way, at least you have Sprint to complain to. The closest corporate store to me is 100 miles away and the only stores in my area are awful.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using TapaTalk Pro

I hope you went back to that store and asked him why he lied to you. I would've. And then made a complaint to Sprint. I tried T-Mobile and it was OK in the city but if I would drive 30 miles away from the city, its 2g or nothing at all. Unacceptable for the $78 I was paying a month. Sprints coverage is actually better and the network is slowly getting better in my area.

Posted via Android Central App

That unfortunatly is a common practice in alot of cell phone stores. Corporate or not. I worked for AT&T for about 4 years in the retail store, and there was ALOT of people like that, rep and manager alike. There were managers i worked for that if you didnt push for accessory attachments and feature attachments and reach the goals, you would be written up. Enough write ups, and you were fired. It did not matter if the customer seriously didnt want anything, or couldnt afford it, or already had most of it. That was on you and it was your fault for not selling them. Some managers wanted us to push GPS, data and texting on basic phones for senior citizens. GPS probably could have an argument made for some that travel alot, but almost none of the ones that i did sell to senior citizens needed nor wanted any of that. There were points where the stress made me sick to my stomache, being coached by your assistant manager, store manager and district manager at the same time. I was tired of it.

This is something all the carriers (probably alot of big box stores too) need to stop doing, pushing products like they do. They are wondering why birck and mortar store sales are going down?

Sorry, rant over
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet

If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!
    Thanked by:
    mrsmumbles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Saneless View Post
    The side store in my city is 20 times better than the corporate stores. I went with a Epic 4G that had keyboard problems and they told me I had to file a claim and the technician refused to work on it. The side store immediately worked on it and accidentally broke a pin where the battery charges. Ordered me a new one and I was one happy camper. I gave my girlfriend a used Epic Touch and they replaced it free due to a charging port failure.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Sounds crappy. And I've heard of similar story's told by friends about one Sprint store near us. They tried to tell me they aren't allowed to sell full price phones.

Either way I left. They wouldn't unlock my fully bought phones... Their 3g was dial up speeds at times... T-Mobile is the best for me at the best price.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    That makes two of us...I left Sprint today and got a G2 on T-Mobile...T-Mob screams out here.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by Verdes8891 View Post
    That unfortunatly is a common practice in alot of cell phone stores. Corporate or not. I worked for AT&T for about 4 years in the retail store, and there was ALOT of people like that, rep and manager alike. There were managers i worked for that if you didnt push for accessory attachments and feature attachments and reach the goals, you would be written up. Enough write ups, and you were fired. It did not matter if the customer seriously didnt want anything, or couldnt afford it, or already had most of it. That was on you and it was your fault for not selling them. Some managers wanted us to push GPS, data and texting on basic phones for senior citizens. GPS probably could have an argument made for some that travel alot, but almost none of the ones that i did sell to senior citizens needed nor wanted any of that. There were points where the stress made me sick to my stomache, being coached by your assistant manager, store manager and district manager at the same time. I was tired of it.

This is something all the carriers (probably alot of big box stores too) need to stop doing, pushing products like they do. They are wondering why birck and mortar store sales are going down?

Sorry, rant over
    I completely agree with you....the constant pressure makes for an unpleasant experience at the stores, and that is why brick and mortar stores are losing out to online retailers like Amazon (well, that and prices are usually better online).

I used to work for CompUSA back in the day and we were constantly pressured to sell useless and overpriced warranties. If we as salesmen didn't perform, we'd get written up. Continued sub par performance led to losing your job. I constantly saw salesman usher customers out the door without any purchases just because the customer refused to buy warranties. This is another instance of, "I'd rather not make a sale at all than sell a computer w/o a warranty." That kind of pressure makes for pretty miserable employees and that, in turn, makes for miserable customers. Is it any mystery why CompUSA went out of business?

CompUSA, and probably a lot of other brick and mortar retailers, confuse threatening their employees with training and education. Not once in my experience at Sprint did the employee tell us why we should buy the watch. What are the benefits? What kind of cool stuff does it do? What are we missing out on if we don't buy it? Even when I asked "why should we buy the watch," all I got back was, "Because, the experience is not complete without it." What does that even mean??? I think proper training would go a long way. Even if we don't buy the watch (or any other accessory) right then and there, if the salesman explains the benefits of the watch with enthusiasm, the seed is planted and I may come back later to pick one up. But pressuring the customer and acting like a jerk because I wouldn't buy the watch or any other accessory only results in me writing posts like this, contacting their customer service and complaining and all out leaving said company and recommending others do the same.

I agree with another comment that behavior like this is the fault of Sprint policies and managers, not the salesmen at the store. The salesmen are just doing what they can to keep their jobs, so I don't blame them. Still, pressure experiences at the store make for unhappy and ex customers.

That's just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by danyzfr6; 11-20-2013 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by danyzfr6 View Post
    I completely agree with you....the constant pressure makes for an unpleasant experience at the stores, and that is why brick and mortar stores are losing out to online retailers like Amazon (well, that and prices are usually better online).

I used to work for CompUSA back in the day and we were constantly pressured to sell useless and overpriced warranties. If we as salesmen didn't perform, we'd get written up. Continued sub par performance led to losing your job. I constantly saw salesman usher customers out the door without any purchases just because the customer refused to buy warranties. This is another instance of, "I'd rather not make a sale at all than sell a computer w/o a warranty." That kind of pressure makes for pretty miserable employees and that, in turn, makes for miserable customers. Is it any mystery why CompUSA went out of business?

CompUSA, and probably a lot of other brick and mortar retailers, confuse threatening their employees with training and education. Not once in my experience at Sprint did the employee tell us why we should buy the watch. What are the benefits? What kind of cool stuff does it do? What are we missing out on if we don't buy it? Even when I asked "why should we buy the watch," all I got back was, "Because, the experience is not complete without it." What does that even mean??? I think proper training would go a long way. Even if we don't buy the watch (or any other accessory) right then and there, if the salesman explains the benefits of the watch with enthusiasm, the seed is planted and I may come back later to pick one up. But pressuring the customer and acting like a jerk because I wouldn't buy the watch or any other accessory only results in me writing posts like this, contacting their customer service and complaining and all out leaving said company and recommending others do the same.

I agree with another comment that behavior like this is the fault of Sprint policies and managers, not the salesmen at the store. The salesmen are just doing what they can to keep their jobs, so I don't blame them. Still, pressure experiences at the store make for unhappy and ex customers.

That's just my 2 cents.
    It's not just cell phone stores. I've noticed more restaurants and stores are pushing certain items when you check out. I was just in a restaurant for lunch that was pushing items by pointing them out in the menu, when you were seated and when you got the check.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using TapaTalk Pro
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks Sprint sucks...

I can't believe they're turning away new customers at their stores. According to the article, there is a lot of "customer attrition." You'd think they'd want new business seeing as how so many customers are leaving Sprint. Maybe someone should tell them that the goal of a company is to actually make money. And you need customers to do that.