Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By seanoj
  • 1 Post By Almeuit
  • 1 Post By mrsmumbles
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts

Default Nexus 5 and Sprint - No jJoy

I bought a Nexus 5 from the Google Play store (actually two) and wanted to activate on Sprint (current customer). I am told that I need a SIM card to activate. Simple enough. They don't, however, have any SIMs in stock, not for at least 4 weeks according to the Sprint guys (you need to go to international sales to get anyone who can help with SIMs). It was suggested that I try Sprint Retail Stores for SIM cards. I have called almost all in the Los Angeles area and have found none.

Anyone know where a SIM can be had?

Sucks to have an awesome phone that does not work on the plan you are paying for. Been on Straight Talk AT&T since getting the phone and am digging the LTE. I wanted to test Sprint's LTE before canceling my 13 year old SERO plan. Non-LTE signal at home and work is so poor, I can't stand it anymore. WiMax sucks my battery dead in half a day.

-Sean
    Thanked by:
    Yung_Dilla likes this.

Global Posts
    376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vicious Jelly Bean

Default Re: Nexus 5 and Sprint - No jJoy

I'm in the same boat i tried the one in culver city and now i'm on call with the one on sunset i'll let you know.

Nope none there either. If I find ay i'll let you know sean..

Quote Originally Posted by seanoj View Post
    I bought a Nexus 5 from the Google Play store (actually two) and wanted to activate on Sprint (current customer). I am told that I need a SIM card to activate. Simple enough. They don't, however, have any SIMs in stock, not for at least 4 weeks according to the Sprint guys (you need to go to international sales to get anyone who can help with SIMs). It was suggested that I try Sprint Retail Stores for SIM cards. I have called almost all in the Los Angeles area and have found none.

Anyone know where a SIM can be had?

Sucks to have an awesome phone that does not work on the plan you are paying for. Been on Straight Talk AT&T since getting the phone and am digging the LTE. I wanted to test Sprint's LTE before canceling my 13 year old SERO plan. Non-LTE signal at home and work is so poor, I can't stand it anymore. WiMax sucks my battery dead in half a day.

-Sean
    If you're willing to try other carriers than Sprint, try T-Mobile. I'm not sure how coverage is where you are, but in the San Francisco Bay Area, it's fantastic (a lot better than Sprint, anyway.)

Other than that, if you're stuck with Sprint like I am since I'm under contract, you can call Sprint's international service department. I don't have the number on me, but if you do a customer service chat session off of Sprint's website, they'll give you the number. When I called, the lady that answered was very helpful and they sent me a SIM card within 5 days for free -- even shipping was free. That was two weeks ago. Maybe they're extremely backed up now, but it's worth a shot. Good luck!

https://mysprint.sprint.com/mysprint.../contactus.jsp

Looks like they have International Chat Support as well
    Mine- Sprint: Palm 700p, Palm Treo Pro, HTC Touch, HP Palm Pre, Motorola Admiral, Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G (Jellybean 4.2.2);
    AT&T: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (4.4.2)
    Wife's - Sprint: HP Palm Pre, LG Viper 4G LTE (ICS); Vizio VTAB1008 Tablet (Honeycomb); AT&T: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (4.4.2)
    Daughters' - Nabi2 tablets (ICS)

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by prolongExistence View Post
    https://mysprint.sprint.com/mysprint.../contactus.jsp

Looks like they have International Chat Support as well
    Chat support sent me one

Posted via Android Central App
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts

Chat support said they would send me one 10 days ago. I called and they said it was a 4 to 8 week back-order. I called more than a dozen Los Angeles area Sprint stores and none had SIMs.

I have been using my phone on T-Mobile for a month and Straight Talk (AT&T SIM) for almost 2 months. The first month I switched back and forth between SIMs to see which worked best at home, work and my vacation place. I found both AT&T and T-Mobile excellent everywhere except in Mammoth (vacation) where AT&T was my only reliable option.

I wanted to put Sprint and its new Spark tri-band LTE into competition with T-Mobile and AT&T but I can't wait 4-8 weeks. I am going with Straight Talk (AT&T) and have begun porting my lines to Google Voice for the permanent switch.

Sprint: You snooze, you lose.

Quote Originally Posted by seanoj View Post
    Chat support said they would send me one 10 days ago. I called and they said it was a 4 to 8 week back-order. I called more than a dozen Los Angeles area Sprint stores and none had SIMs.

I have been using my phone on T-Mobile for a month and Straight Talk (AT&T SIM) for almost 2 months. The first month I switched back and forth between SIMs to see which worked best at home, work and my vacation place. I found both AT&T and T-Mobile excellent everywhere except in Mammoth (vacation) where AT&T was my only reliable option.

I wanted to put Sprint and its new Spark tri-band LTE into competition with T-Mobile and AT&T but I can't wait 4-8 weeks. I am going with Straight Talk (AT&T) and have begun porting my lines to Google Voice for the permanent switch.

Sprint: You snooze, you lose.
    They gave me a order # after my chat with them. Sorry it didn't work out.

Posted via Android Central App

This is a CDMA capable phone, why on earth would it require a SIM card?

Quote Originally Posted by Star-Lord View Post
    This is a CDMA capable phone, why on earth would it require a SIM card?
    Most (if not all) new CDMA phones now a days have SIM cards since they have GSM radios in them. This is so they can roam internationally since international carriers are all GSM.

You gotta catch up with the times man :P.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
    jhill110 likes this.

But just to be used on sprint? Can the sim from an iPhone 4S be used or does it have to be one that can use lte?

Got mine from best buy for 30 dollars. I couldn't wait...

Contact sprint international. That's the go to for a sprint sim. Mine should be arriving tomorrow.

I picked up a free SIM yesterday at the Sprint store in Snellville, Georgia.

Nexus 7 (2013)
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts

Going through some of my old posts, I realized Sprint never sent me the SIM. Anyone getting good Sprint service on the Nexus...

I am very happy with my ATT via Straight Talk solution. Cheap and, porting my old Sprint number to Google Voice, I was able to keep my number. I like the option of being month-to-month so I can switch my provider again, if the need arises.

Prepaid is definitely the way to go for me. So glad to be contract free.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

I'd say take that N5 and run like the wind and don't look back! You van get better coverage and maybe even save a few pennies when you leave. Looking at post paid or prepaid services?
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by cgardnervt View Post
    I'd say take that N5 and run like the wind and don't look back! You van get better coverage and maybe even save a few pennies when you leave. Looking at post paid or prepaid services?
    If you mean me, I already did, lol! Loving being on prepaid and the new Cricket is so much better than Sprint!
    cgardnervt likes this.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    If you mean me, I already did, lol! Loving being on prepaid and the new Cricket is so much better than Sprint!
    Great! My girlfriends parents are on Cricket. I witched them last month and they seem to be good!
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by cgardnervt View Post
    Great! My girlfriends parents are on Cricket. I witched them last month and they seem to be good!
    That's nice! I hope they like it as much as I do.
    Thanked by: