Problems with Sprint service

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I've been experiencing numerous problems with getting reliable data service from Sprint. Voice calls have also been a problem. I've posted numerous topics in the Sprint forums in regards to the problems I am experiencing. I've also contacted the CEOs office. I had hoped to be able to leave my contract and go to Verizon where there's better service.

Sprint's solution to the problems I am experiencing is to refresh the profiles regularly and switch the phone (S3) to CDMA, and lastly just wait six more months for service to improve. They seem to think my usage has increased, which would indicate that there is no problem, and they are also going by a printed report showing the phone is working.

I live in NYC, and it's rare that I don't have any problems with the phone. For example, Manhattan used to have LTE data but now according to the coverage map, all of Manhattan is fair coverage. The coverage map has changed to reflect the spark network coverage.

Just looking for opinions on how to proceed with Sprint and trying to accomplish my objective of switching.

Posted via Android Central App

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
They used to have a Retentions Department that would handle issues like this but based on topics in the Sprint.com forums it might not exist anymore.

Would you be able to show any proof of the bad service?

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
The proof of bad service can be seen in the numerous threads I've posted in the Sprint forums. I've also taken a few screenshots which show some of the problems.

What if I were to call customer service and follow the prompts for disconnecting service? Would a representative there be able process a termination without penalty?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The proof of bad service can be seen in the numerous threads I've posted in the Sprint forums. I've also taken a few screenshots which show some of the problems.

What if I were to call customer service and follow the prompts for disconnecting service? Would a representative there be able process a termination without penalty?

They could but usually won't unless you have a real good reason in their eyes. My friend had to go through hell to get out of contract without penalty.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

archangel849

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I was with Sprint for 12 years. Service kept getting worse. I repeatedly contacted them with no resolution. I contacted the FCC and filed a complaint. I received a call from the Sprint Executive and Regulatory Dept. I explained my continued service issues. They offered me 4 months free service to see if the network upgrades would solve the issues, or they would waive the ETF. They waived the last bills charge and the ETF.

Sent from my VZW LG G2 using Tapatalk.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site

Forum posts really don't prove anything but the pics would.

I normally don't go around suggesting this but if the problem is constant you can contact the Better Business Bureau and state that all you want is the option to go to another carrier without being charged an ETF.

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I actually contacted the FCC and the BBB. I think it was in 2012 I contacted them, but nothing really happened as a result. I suppose I need to contact them again.

I've been sending messages back and forth with Sprint, but their only solution is to keep waiting.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I actually contacted the FCC and the BBB. I think it was in 2012 I contacted them, but nothing really happened as a result. I suppose I need to contact them again.

I've been sending messages back and forth with Sprint, but their only solution is to keep waiting.

I'm shocked at nothing happening with BBB. I contacted them with an issue I had with Microsoft and ended up getting a call from MS a day or two after I contacted BBB.

I would shoot them an email again.

lennyj17

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Sprint is heavily in the middle of NV in the NYC area, towers are down and out while being rebuilt. It is widely known that during NV upgrade, service will degrade before it gets better. Just one of the pains of rebuilding an entire network from scratch. Nothing Sprint or customer can do at this point, either live with the pain, or go elsewhere and reassess Sprint when its all done and over with.

Which is why I'm so glad I decided to wait this out on another carrier, and go back to Sprint when all is done. However Verizon's LTE in the city has been anything but pleasant, but it keeps me from pulling my hair out like staying on Sprint would've done.

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the club, OP. Sprint has completely dropped the ball in so many areas of customer service that it's almost funny. I've even received a notice of settlement on a class action lawsuit regarding how they charge for their infamous "surcharges". My calls drop at least once a day and I can't depend on anything to remain predictable with Sprint. It has become a joke and complaining to them is completely useless. They only thing I can do is patiently wait until April for my contract to expire and never deal with them again.... or anyone else that wants me to sign a contract for service for any length of time.

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I was going to ask how Verizon was, but to find out that in the city Verizon isn't great does provide some concern. I would like to know though how Verizon's coverage maps compare with real service experience. In my opinion, Sprint's coverage maps show one thing, but the service I get is far different from what the map says. Given that Sprint announced it's spark network and is actually starting in NYC with this network build out, how can Sprint build out the LTE and Spark network at the same time?

What I don't like is being charged each month for premium data, but I am not getting premium data service. Not a day goes by without one problem or another. It seems logical that if I want better service, to cancel Sprint and go with Verizon because in every single place that I have service problems, Verizon has better coverage. Apparently when I travel, I have to power the cycle the phone and run profile/PRL updates when I get to my destination, and then do the same thing when I get back.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have been running into problems with my service too. Calls flaking in and out in areas where they were solid, and now I am starting to have to force Airplane mode with my data, because it is refusing to switch properly.

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I've specifically requested from Sprint on three separate occasions to cancel service without penalty and go to Verizon, but Sprint conveniently avoids saying anything and instead tries to do whatever they can to help. When I call about problems with my service, they only seem to look up service outage at my home address; they don't understand I use my phone in different places.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I've specifically requested from Sprint on three separate occasions to cancel service without penalty and go to Verizon, but Sprint conveniently avoids saying anything and instead tries to do whatever they can to help. When I call about problems with my service, they only seem to look up service outage at my home address; they don't understand I use my phone in different places.

Put in a complaint to the BBB. My buddy did this and they called him.. Looked his issue over.. And then agreed he was having bad service issues and let him out of his contract ETF free.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I put in the letter to the BBB yesterday. Probably should have done that earlier instead of going back and forth with Sprint through Twitter, e-mail, and calls.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Sprint has gotten allot better. I get an average of 2 mbps down on 3g. I used to get 50 kbps.

Lte I get between 6-20 mbps down.

Got to remember Sprint is rebuilding their whole network. Biggest thing that is slowing them down. Is back haul prooviders, the fiber to the tower, those companies are rather slow.

You can't expect this to get done overnight.

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Most of the time on 3G, I get under 1Mbps for both upload and download. When I've found an area with 4G up and running, I can get near 20Mbps. I honestly wouldn't complain if I could just have SOME service. What I am experiencing is capacity issues (according to Sprint) and no "seamless" handoff from one tower to the next.

I need to find out what towers I connect to the most and then find out the status of those towers. I did find out that one tower I connect to 10% of the time won't be fully upgraded until July. According to Sprint, I should just "hang in there and eventually service will get better."

I live in New York, and that's what I've been hearing for the last 2.5 years I've been here. I wish the major markets could have been stated first, because they would have mostly been done by now.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Most of the time on 3G, I get under 1Mbps for both upload and download. When I've found an area with 4G up and running, I can get near 20Mbps. I honestly wouldn't complain if I could just have SOME service. What I am experiencing is capacity issues (according to Sprint) and no "seamless" handoff from one tower to the next.

I need to find out what towers I connect to the most and then find out the status of those towers. I did find out that one tower I connect to 10% of the time won't be fully upgraded until July. According to Sprint, I should just "hang in there and eventually service will get better."

I live in New York, and that's what I've been hearing for the last 2.5 years I've been here. I wish the major markets could have been stated first, because they would have mostly been done by now.

This is a good site to go to for Sprint.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/index

The best info on where they are at with upgrades in your area is in the sponsor section.

If you want to see that, you have to donate. You can donate as little as $1. Then you have access to the sponsor section for 6 months

phoneaddict78

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I just got my Sprint spark update today. It seems a lot fast haven't had a chance to see if there's better coverage yet. Hopefully other people will get them soon. I'm in the Minneapolis area.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
This is a good site to go to for Sprint.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/index

The best info on where they are at with upgrades in your area is in the sponsor section.

If you want to see that, you have to donate. You can donate as little as $1. Then you have access to the sponsor section for 6 months

I don't see a sponsor section anywhere on the site. I've looked through the forum posts and have seen information on the New York market, but nothing specific on completion status.

In reference to the other poster who mentioned the spark network, I'm wondering how Sprint is doing LTE and spark at the same time.

I'd have to upgrade my phone to take advantage of the spark network.