Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Connection optimizer Alterior Motive

I've been A Sprint customer for over ten years. I recently upgraded to the Galaxy Note 3. I've been a smartphone user for ~5 years. I've been aware of the Connection Optimizer most of that time. I used to use it when 4g service was not available in my region. 4g LTE is here now so I stopped. Recently I started having all kinds of connection stability problem when using WIFI to operate my Chromecast dongle. The problem turned out to be the Sprint Connection Optimizer. I have 2 available WIFI access points in my house. Connection Optimizer was constantly polling the signals and switching back and forth between the two AP's. By constantly, I mean every 5 seconds. In the past, I had no problem turning it off. Uncheck the box, Optimizer stayed off. Now, no matter what i do, Optimizer keeps re-enabling itself. Absolutely exasperating. The App can't be turned off or uninstalled by the application manage. I even tried installing a task killer to kill just this one app but, so far, I can't find one that can see it as a running task.

Now, I've seen the volume of discussion about this, and read a good deal of it. There is a question no one seems to be asking that I think is worth consideration. The question is;

Why did Sprint change the app so , you can't turn it off?

When I asked myself that question I realized quickly there is a very compelling reason for Sprint to do this. If your pulling your data from WIFI, your not pulling it from Sprint. If Sprint can shunt a percentage of its customers to WIFI for a few hours a day, they have, in real terms, gained capacity on their mobile data network at no cost. Having worked in a techcentric corporate beuracracy for over two decades, my experience tells me that, if the idea occurred to them, co-opting free bandwidth from their customers would be irresistible. I can't say I know that is what drove them to change the app in this way but, it is certainly consistent with corporate bureaucratic behavior that I've observed. Does anyone else have a few thoughts on this?

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Connection optimizer Alterior Motive

That's exactly why they have it.. To offload.

I'd root and disable if they tried to force that on me.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

I turn it off. I can manage my own networks

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    22,140 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

I had 2 devices that had the 'Optimizer'. I have rooted and turned them off. I have filed complaints with Sprint about it. I agree it is a backhanded way to offload users.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here