Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 2 Post By B. Diddy
  • 2 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 1 Post By buffdaddy72
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Need suggestions - Big Button CDMA phone for elderly

Hi all,

I've hunted and hunted for a solution to this, but everything I find is on GSM service. My parents are elderly and my dad's eyesight is terrible due to age and diabetes. They live in a less urban area in Wisconsin and GSM services simply don't work well. I need to find a BIG button phone that is on CDMA - ideally not a flip-phone, but a candybar design. Unfortunately I'm coming up empty in my searching.

What I'd love to find is something along the lines of this:

Like I said, it's almost like nothing is made at all for CDMA when it comes to BIG button phones.
    Any suggestions, would truly be appreciated. I'm thinking/hoping there are others out there who have had similar needs.

Thanks!
    Dave
    Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules

Global Posts
    17,410 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Need suggestions - Big Button CDMA phone for elderly

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Hi all,

I've hunted and hunted for a solution to this, but everything I find is on GSM service. My parents are elderly and my dad's eyesight is terrible due to age and diabetes. They live in a less urban area in Wisconsin and GSM services simply don't work well. I need to find a BIG button phone that is on CDMA - ideally not a flip-phone, but a candybar design. Unfortunately I'm coming up empty in my searching.

What I'd love to find is something along the lines of this:

http://silverevolution.files.wordpre...st5-phone1.jpg

Like I said, it's almost like nothing is made at all for CDMA when it comes to BIG button phones.
    Any suggestions, would truly be appreciated. I'm thinking/hoping there are others out there who have had similar needs.

Thanks!
    Dave
    Smartphone or basic phone?

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    17,410 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

In poking around, I saw the Kyocera Dura Plus on Sprint's site, but the buttons are not all that big. I struck out on Wirefly, too.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi

The best one to me was the Sanyo Vero (you can still find it on Ebay, Amazon Market Place) my 80 year old GM uses it with such ease...

Numbers are Big...Check
    Screen Font Big....Check
    Decent Battery for Voice Only Calls ....Check
    Uses any Universal Micro-USB for charging .... Check
    External LCD for CID and Time .... Check
    Disable all Non-Voice features so they're not confused .... Check

Perfect Grandma,Granddad Phone for Sprint anyway

Need suggestions - Big Button CDMA phone for elderly-sanyo-vero-scp-3820.jpg Need suggestions - Big Button CDMA phone for elderly-sanyo-vero.28939669.jpg Need suggestions - Big Button CDMA phone for elderly-kyocera-sanyo-vero-b4-59230.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need suggestions - Big Button CDMA phone for elderly-download.jpg  
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Smartphone or basic phone?
    Basic phone, candybar design (he had a stroke and it needs to be easily handled in one hand - flip phones don't work well for him)
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by lennyj17 View Post
    The best one to me was the Sanyo Vero (you can still find it on Ebay, Amazon Market Place) my 80 year old GM uses it with such ease...

Numbers are Big...Check
    Screen Font Big....Check
    Decent Battery for Voice Only Calls ....Check
    Uses any Universal Micro-USB for charging .... Check
    External LCD for CID and Time .... Check
    Disable all Non-Voice features so they're not confused .... Check

Perfect Grandma,Granddad Phone for Sprint anyway

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sanyo-Vero SCP-3820.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	101237 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sanyo-vero.28939669.jpg 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	101238 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kyocera-Sanyo-Vero-b4-59230.jpg 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	101240
    Thanks for that! What I really need is a non-flip phone with large buttons. Ideally in a design like I posted above. There are a ton of companies that make that type of phone, but non are CDMA. Like I mentioned above, he had a stroke so using a flip phone can be done, but it is very difficult with poor eyesight and one-handed... hence my hunting high and low for a candybar design with big buttons on CDMA.

Global Posts
    17,410 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Basic phone, candybar design (he had a stroke and it needs to be easily handled in one hand - flip phones don't work well for him)
    Is this possible: Get the phone you showed, but get a prepaid TMo plan for it?

Phone Timeline
    Thanked by:
    HelloNNNewman likes this.

Global Posts
    17,410 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

I know you said GSM doesn't work well, but maybe double checking with Sensorly to see other possibilites, and with the prepaid, if it doesn't work, it's not like anything substantial is lost.

Phone Timeline
    Thanked by:

How about a smartphone with BIG Launcher installed?
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Is this possible: Get the phone you showed, but get a prepaid TMo plan for it?
    I know you said GSM doesn't work well, but maybe double checking with Sensorly to see other possibilites, and with the prepaid, if it doesn't work, it's not like anything substantial is lost.
    GSM is out of the question - there simply is no signal where he is located. (sucks)

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    How about a smartphone with BIG Launcher installed?
    I'd never seen that app before. I'll definitely have to check it out. If the app has the ability to lock up access to any apps/screens you don't want to cause confusion, that would be a viable solution.... but still too difficult to operate with one hand. Thanks for that one - I'll take a closer look!
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01-20-2014 at 09:46 AM.
    B. Diddy and Golfdriver97 like this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Life would be soooo easy if one of those candybar phones was offered in CDMA. Touchscreen phones are a PIA for stroke victims as they simply have no mobility in one hand/arm depending upon the severity of the stroke. In this case, he can move his arm, but cannot grasp a phone or anything. So using a touchscreen phone is very difficult because you have to cradle it somehow and touch the screen (basically think of it as if the person only has one arm/hand). This is why I've been searching high and low to see if any of those phone companies with the candybar design offer one in CDMA. The only one's I've found so far are Chinese and do not support English. <sigh>

Thanks for the suggestions all!

Have you checked out the Jitterbug?? They're pretty much tailor made for people with bad eyesight. Basically a no frills flip phone with big keys for under $100.00.

I think you can get it prepaid or on Verizon.

Need suggestions - Big Button CDMA phone for elderly-imagesca8edp7b.jpg

Also if you're looking for a candy bar style phone: TracFone Alcatel A382 Cell Phone

Need suggestions - Big Button CDMA phone for elderly-untitled.png
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01-20-2014 at 03:57 PM. Reason: tried to fix second link to show
    Thanked by:
    petaf likes this.

Problem is that he prefers a candybar design, so there's no flipping open involved. I suppose he could always keep a flip phone open.

Posted via Android Central App
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by buffdaddy72 View Post
    Have you checked out the Jitterbug?? They're pretty much tailor made for people with bad eyesight. Basically a no frills flip phone with big keys for under $100.00.

I think you can get it prepaid or on Verizon.

Name:	imagesCA8EDP7B.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	101539

Also if you're looking for a candy bar style phone: TracFone Alcatel A382 Cell Phone

Name:	untitled.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	101540
    Yes, Jitterbug was looked at but flip phones won't work because of what I've stated above. I'll have to take a look at the TracFone option. Again, because of eyesight issues the print size will need to be large. Thanks for pointing that pointing that one out too.