Switch to Framily, no more ETF?

wessock

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I have Sprint now and renewed a 2 year contract in December 2012, so about 10 months left. I still have the now retired 450 everything plan with about $180 in ETF if I switched to T-Mobile now. For various reasons I don't want to do T-Mobile's ETF refund gimmick. Am I correct in thinking I can just switch to Framily that has no contract, and then cancel, avoiding the ETF I currently have?

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Gimmick? It really isn't.. You pay ETF.. They reimburse you.. Simple. Like any rebate in history.

Either way you can switch to the framily plan without renewing a contract. Just did it for my parents. They will try and give you a free tablet when you do.. If you accept that then you renew the contract.. So just don't accept that.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have Sprint now and renewed a 2 year contract in December 2012, so about 10 months left. I still have the now retired 450 everything plan with about $180 in ETF if I switched to T-Mobile now. For various reasons I don't want to do T-Mobile's ETF refund gimmick. Am I correct in thinking I can just switch to Framily that has no contract, and then cancel, avoiding the ETF I currently have?

Isn't there a device purchase required to switch to Framily? In which case the ETF becomes the purchase price of the phone.

wessock

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Gimmick? It really isn't.. You pay ETF.. They reimburse you.. Simple. Like any rebate in history.

Either way you can switch to the framily plan without renewing a contract. Just did it for my parents. They will try and give you a free tablet when you do.. If you accept that then you renew the contract.. So just don't accept that.

It really is a gimmick when you get into the details. You're reimbursed with a gift card, long after the etf was due. I hate using gift cards, almost useless for my spending habits. Also, you have to finance a phone from T-Mobile, give them your old phone that they only give pennies on the dollar for, and sign up for the most expensive plan.

I want to buy a 32gb Nexus 5 from Google and switch to the $30 plan since I don't need nore than 100 minutes. I can also get about $150 for my old Sprint phones vs the $17 T-Mobile would give for the mandatory trade-in.

wessock

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
It wouldn't surprise me.

Reading more into it, it does say new customers can buy a new phone or just activate an existing phone. For current customers, there was no mention of buying a new phone, only waiving the $15 fee until the old phone is upgrade eligible. Looks like you don't need to finance a new phone.

Still not sure if switching makes the ETF go away though. Still can't find anything on that and don't trust Sprint to give an honest straight forward answer if asked.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It really is a gimmick when you get into the details. You're reimbursed with a gift card, long after the etf was due. I hate using gift cards, almost useless for my spending habits. Also, you have to finance a phone from T-Mobile, give them your old phone that they only give pennies on the dollar for, and sign up for the most expensive plan.

I want to buy a 32gb Nexus 5 from Google and switch to the $30 plan since I don't need nore than 100 minutes. I can also get about $150 for my old Sprint phones vs the $17 T-Mobile would give for the mandatory trade-in.

Most banks will let you bank the gift card.

It's also a gift card you can use anywhere. Want a Gimmick? Do the Verizon trade in.. You get money on a gift card that can only be used at Verizon.. That's a Gimmick.

The T-Mobile one let's you use where ever. And as I said you get it later like any other thing like that (rebates anyone?). It doesn't mean you never get the money lol.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Also you can use your old phone.. And just switch. I did it for my parents.. Took them to a store and had them jump on the framily plan. Their bill went from 177 to 124 (all after taxes).

wessock

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Most banks will let you bank the gift card.

It's also a gift card you can use anywhere. Want a Gimmick? Do the Verizon trade in.. You get money on a gift card that can only be used at Verizon.. That's a Gimmick.

The T-Mobile one let's you use where ever. And as I said you get it later like any other thing like that (rebates anyone?). It doesn't mean you never get the money lol.

Never heard of a bank letting you "deposit" a gift card. If some do, I doubt Wells Fargo would as they always fail to do anything easily or convenient. Mainly what I hate about gift cards is that you can't use them online, where I do most of my spending. I'd actually prefer to have the option of an account credit.

georgewillow

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Never heard of a bank letting you "deposit" a gift card. If some do, I doubt Wells Fargo would as they always fail to do anything easily or convenient. Mainly what I hate about gift cards is that you can't use them online, where I do most of my spending. I'd actually prefer to have the option of an account credit.

It's just a visa gift card. You can use it online just like a credit card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wessock

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
It's just a visa gift card. You can use it online just like a credit card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No you can't. You need to enter a billing address and name associated with the card, which there is none because it's a gift card. Can't use them on Amazon or any site I've ever tried. How useful a gift card is wasn't really my question though. I want a 32gb nexus 5 and the $30 plan anyway, so the gift card doesn't enter into it.

Just wondering if anybody knows if the ETF goes away if you switch to Framily from another Sprint plan while under contract?

wessock

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
This. Just because they switch you to that plan, you'll still have your existing contract.

Are you sure about this, from experience? Because Framily has no contract. I thought that's what the $15 fee (that's currently being waived) for people switching plans while not upgrade eligible was for, to reclaim the subsidies. I don't know anyone who has done it though or what, if any, new agreement they make you sign.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
No you can't. You need to enter a billing address and name associated with the card, which there is none because it's a gift card. Can't use them on Amazon or any site I've ever tried. How useful a gift card is wasn't really my question though. I want a 32gb nexus 5 and the $30 plan anyway, so the gift card doesn't enter into it.

Just wondering if anybody knows if the ETF goes away if you switch to Framily from another Sprint plan while under contract?

Oh wait you want to switch... And hope it will null your ETF?

Sorry it doesn't.. If it did everyone and their mother that wanted to leave Sprint would use this loophole to get out of the ETF.

Below is a picture of my parents account.. They are under contract and I had them switch to framily the other weekend.. As you can see the contract goes no where.

Attachments

• 1391175923421.jpg
    1391175923421.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 47

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure about this, from experience? Because Framily has no contract. I thought that's what the $15 fee (that's currently being waived) for people switching plans while not upgrade eligible was for, to reclaim the subsidies. I don't know anyone who has done it though or what, if any, new agreement they make you sign.

But why would it null an existing contract? If you are a new customer signing up (or not under existing contract) then no they wouldn't extend it or make you sign one. But if you have a current contract, it will follow you until it's completed or you pay the ETF.

Also that $15 fee, how can they reclaim the subsidies if someone were to switch to the plan, get out of contract, and then just cancel?

Last edited:

wessock

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
But why would it null an existing contract? If you are a new customer signing up (or not under existing contract) then no they wouldn't extend it or make you sign one. But if you have a current contract, it will follow you until it's completed or you pay the ETF.

Also that $15 fee, how can they reclaim the subsidies if someone were to switch to the plan, get out of contract, and then just cancel?

I'm not asking for a legal argument. I understand all of that. I was asking what Sprint actually is doing. They're desperate for customers and for old and new to switch to this Framily plan. It would seem perfectly in the realm of possibility that they'd waive the ETF if they're trying to steer people towards plans with no ETF or contract. They're supposedly moving away from contracts and ETF's. It would be a good move to actually look like a non-evil company. God knows they won't keep people with their network so their policies better improve.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm not asking for a legal argument. I understand all of that. I was asking what Sprint actually is doing. They're desperate for customers and for old and new to switch to this Framily plan. It would seem perfectly in the realm of possibility that they'd waive the ETF if they're trying to steer people towards plans with no ETF or contract. They're supposedly moving away from contracts and ETF's. It would be a good move to actually look like a non-evil company. God knows they won't keep people with their network so their policies better improve.

But providing a free out of ETF on a current contract just let's the customer run away.. It doesn't help them in any way lol :).

wessock

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
But providing a free out of ETF on a current contract just let's the customer run away.. It doesn't help them in any way lol :).

But it could help them. The whole point of switching old customers to the Framily plan is to try and use them to recruit new people. ETF's leave a bad taste in people's mouths, especially when other people on the same exact plan don't have them. They can't win on service quality right now. Their network is horrible and even after Spark is done will only have theoretical speeds at half of T-Mobile's real world speeds. They need to win peope over and keep them with good customer service and policies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar