Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default switch phones days later, able to keep number?

    Hi All,

    I just got my (used) phone for sprint and I am not happy with it. I would like to sell this one and get another one. If I sell first, then get a new phone a few days later, can I still keep my existing number?

    Thx!
  2. #2  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    7,032 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,076 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: switch phones days later, able to keep number?

    Yes, the phone number is tied to the account rather than the phone, so you shouldn't have any issues with doing that.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: switch phones days later, able to keep number?

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    Yes, the phone number is tied to the account rather than the phone, so you shouldn't have any issues with doing that.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: switch phones days later, able to keep number?

    Actually the number is tired to the account and sim card so take out your sim card before selling.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: switch phones days later, able to keep number?

    This is Sprint folks. The Phone number is tied to the devices ESN number and if its an LTE devices its sim.
    In order for him to sell it he needs to clear the number and get it off his account. To do that he needs to put his number onto a different phone. So in this case he cant sell it first Then buy a new phone as the old phone will still have the number associated with it and be active on his account.
    If it were AT&T or T-Mobile then the references to the SIM card being tied to the account would be more accurate. Although they do (if the rep is doing their job right) also ask for your IMEI number if you are in a store for AT&T or T-Mobile.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: switch phones days later, able to keep number?

    Quote Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
    This is Sprint folks. The Phone number is tied to the devices ESN number and if its an LTE devices its sim.
    In order for him to sell it he needs to clear the number and get it off his account. To do that he needs to put his number onto a different phone. So in this case he cant sell it first Then buy a new phone as the old phone will still have the number associated with it and be active on his account.
    If it were AT&T or T-Mobile then the references to the SIM card being tied to the account would be more accurate. Although they do (if the rep is doing their job right) also ask for your IMEI number if you are in a store for AT&T or T-Mobile.
    Most Sprint phones use SIM cards now.. Just FYI. So simply taking the SIM out makes it so the phone won't connect with his account.

    Unless he is using a really old phone.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  7. #7  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    7,032 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,076 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: switch phones days later, able to keep number?

    Thanks, I didn't look at the forum trail but at the user's carrier/device when clicking on them and it said Verizon and Droid Razr M, so I thought that was it. Yeah, definitely double check with your carrier to make sure there is no issue from just sim swapping.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: switch phones days later, able to keep number?

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    Thanks, I didn't look at the forum trail but at the user's carrier/device when clicking on them and it said Verizon and Droid Razr M, so I thought that was it. Yeah, definitely double check with your carrier to make sure there is no issue from just sim swapping.
    Ah yeah I didn't see that either due to using the mobile app :P.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: switch phones days later, able to keep number?

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Most Sprint phones use SIM cards now.. Just FYI. So simply taking the SIM out makes it so the phone won't connect with his account.

    Unless he is using a really old phone.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Incorrect. Unless its an LTE ONLY device in which case the SIM is the only thing tying it to the account.
    ALL current Sprint devices still have ESN based info for 3G CDMA usage. This is still tied to the account along with the SIM card. Sprints system is set up so the ESN and SIM are also tied together.
    When a new phone is sold its paired with an ESN / SIM. Thats why on a lot of Sprint LTE devices the SIM is buried in the phone and not user removable. Before i left Sprint for T-Mobile i had a GS3 and EVO LTE. When doing ESN swaps my EVO LTE only had the ESN number tied to my account. Why because Sprint married the ESN and SIM info in the system. SO when i entered the ESN it also had the SIM info for LTE.
    Untill Sprint goes away from CDMA there will always be an ESN associated on the account so the phone can use its legacy 3G CDMA network.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: switch phones days later, able to keep number?

    I dont want to be w/o a phone so, I am actually waiting until I get my brand new galaxy s3, which doesnt have a sim card btw. So I am quite confused.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: switch phones days later, able to keep number?

    If your getting a CDMA / Wimax or CDMA only GS3 and your on Sprint then NO it will not have a SIM.
    If memory serves me right there were different variants of the GS3, some with and some with out LTE.
    Also Sprint did a good job of having the manufacturers hide the SIM internally because they dont want customers removing them. The system ties the ESN and SIM together.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 163
    Last Post: 03-02-2014, 05:32 PM
  2. time to upgrading
    By hellojoe in forum US Cellular Galaxy S3
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-26-2014, 11:08 PM
  3. I think I bricked my phone? Maybe? Help...
    By StreaksX in forum HTC EVO 4G LTE
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-23-2014, 04:49 PM
  4. GoogleNow Launcher perfect match to Nexus 5 Launcher
    By mkhilario in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-23-2014, 10:31 AM
  5. Please Help, I think I brick my phone
    By nepotist in forum AT&T Galaxy Note
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-21-2014, 08:49 AM

Posting Permissions