Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default switching to Verizon

I am currently a Sprint customer and I have 3 people on my line, me, my mom and my nana and my bill is currently 197. We do get a discount because my mom sells Avon and it takes off 16 dollars a mother. We have been thinking of switching because the bill is so high and there's really nothing we can take off to make it cheaper. Only thing that's makes me take a second thought is right now I have unlimited data, text and talk and if I go to Verizon it will be only 1gb of shared data.

Verizon would give us a 20% of our bill for being school teachers and the total price would be 120, not before insurance for the phone, tax and fees.

Don't really know what I'm getting to asking but do you think it's worth it to switch or should I just stay with Sprint because it has the unlimited everything still?

What would you do

Default Re: switching to Verizon

How much data you all use on average?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

When I went on my phone and checked From March 10th to april 10th I used 483mb. Not how much my mom uses and my nana probably doesn't use any since she only has a regular flip phone and only uses it to call.

Quote Originally Posted by Meka Mac View Post
    When I went on my phone and checked From March 10th to april 10th I used 483mb. Not how much my mom uses and my nana probably doesn't use any since she only has a regular flip phone and only uses it to call.

I switched from SPRINT to Verizon... I honestly never realized how much data i DONT USE... I can usually get away with 4 GIGS... But i am a heavy user... a "Normal" User, which it looks like you are, could get away with 2 maybe 4 gigs? I also use WIFI whenever i see its available Trust me... Unlimited Data isn't really necessary... I thought i would need it... but i dont..

Global Posts
    876 Global Posts

Gotta ask, why no T-Mobile? Your bill for all 3 lines would be $90 and each line would include 1 GB of high speed data.

I am currently a Sprint customer and I have 3 people on my line, me, my mom and my nana and my bill is currently 197. We do get a discount because my mom sells Avon and it takes off 16 dollars a mother. We have been thinking of switching because the bill is so high and there's really nothing we can take off to make it cheaper. Only thing that's makes me take a second thought is right now I have unlimited data, text and talk and if I go to Verizon it will be only 1gb of shared data.

Verizon would give us a 20% of our bill for being school teachers and the total price would be 120, not before insurance for the phone, tax and fees.

Don't really know what I'm getting to asking but do you think it's worth it to switch or should I just stay with Sprint because it has the unlimited everything still?

What would you do
    Check out the Framily Plan.....You probably don't even need unlimited.....so that would be 45$ per line for Unlimited Voice, Txt and 1GB data = 135$ plus any taxes, and insurance you might have.... still shouldn't come to 197... Only if you should need 3GB or Unlimited Data will you're Mom's Avon discount apply.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I checked T-mobile out and I checked out the Framily plan, but the thing I do not like is having to finance a phone. I do not want to pay monthly for the phone to be honest on top of what my bill will already be.

- - - Updated - - -

Also thank you all for the advice. I found out through my moms job we can get a better discount and if it goes through then I think we will stay with sprint because when calculated it would only be a couple dollars more than verizon would be.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by lennyj17 View Post
    Check out the Framily Plan.....You probably don't even need unlimited.....so that would be 45$ per line for Unlimited Voice, Txt and 1GB data = 135$ plus any taxes, and insurance you might have.... still shouldn't come to 197... Only if you should need 3GB or Unlimited Data will you're Mom's Avon discount apply.
    it applies now, I get 16 dollars off every month.

Which plan do you currently have with Sprint?

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    876 Global Posts

I checked T-mobile out and I checked out the Framily plan, but the thing I do not like is having to finance a phone. I do not want to pay monthly for the phone to be honest on top of what my bill will already be.
    Fair enough, but you are having to purchase new Verizon phones, aren't you? What phones do you currently have? Provided that you can do with 1 GB of shared data for all 3 of you, yes Verizon would be very sensible for you. Just remember that if you go over, Verizon will charge you at $15 per gig, and those overages can add up quickly.

Also, I looked at Verizon's contract plan with 1 GB of shared data and 3 smartphones. That would come to $160. If they are giving you a 20% discount, that would be reduced to $128, not $120.

At this point, I would go talk to T-Mobile. They are keeping discounts for government entities, which a public school is. I would go ahead and buy 3 Nexus 5s, which would come to $1050 (@350 each), as opposed to your Verizon's contract phones of $600 ($200 per phone). The $450 difference would be made up in 15 months even if T-Mobile didn't give you a discount, and sooner if they do.

Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    I would go ahead and buy 3 Nexus 5s, which would come to $1050 (@350 each), as opposed to your Verizon's contract phones of $600 ($200 per phone). The $450 difference would be made up in 15 months even if T-Mobile didn't give you a discount, and sooner if they do.
    This is no where near true if she gets regular phones like the GS5 or HTC M8....that are $600+ EACH, and multiple that by 3.

Plus, leasing a phone is the worst idea ever, unless you plan to FULLY pay for it and keep it. Even then, it won't even be worth 1/4 of what you originally paid.

Global Posts
    876 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ttwiitch View Post
    This is no where near true if she gets regular phones like the GS5 or HTC M8....that are $600+ EACH, and multiple that by 3.
    Except that the Nexus 5 is just as capable a phone, and the option isn't available on Verizon. When comparing two carriers, phone compatibility can itself save someone money, and that should be considered.

Plus, leasing a phone is the worst idea ever, unless you plan to FULLY pay for it and keep it. Even then, it won't even be worth 1/4 of what you originally paid.
    No one leases a phone - they buy it on installment. And it often works out in favor of the customer. It also forces the customer to consider the true cost of a phone, rather than its contract price, thus giving less expensive phones a less distorted market.

Global Posts
    1 Global Posts

Although cost is extremely important, I feel unless you don't wander much, phone and data coverage is the most important criteria in choosing a cellphone provider.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 7.1 / Tiamat 3.3.7

Fair enough, but you are having to purchase new Verizon phones, aren't you? What phones do you currently have? Provided that you can do with 1 GB of shared data for all 3 of you, yes Verizon would be very sensible for you. Just remember that if you go over, Verizon will charge you at $15 per gig, and those overages can add up quickly.

Also, I looked at Verizon's contract plan with 1 GB of shared data and 3 smartphones. That would come to $160. If they are giving you a 20% discount, that would be reduced to $128, not $120.

At this point, I would go talk to T-Mobile. They are keeping discounts for government entities, which a public school is. I would go ahead and buy 3 Nexus 5s, which would come to $1050 (@350 each), as opposed to your Verizon's contract phones of $600 ($200 per phone). The $450 difference would be made up in 15 months even if T-Mobile didn't give you a discount, and sooner if they do.
    Effective April 1st T-Mobile is discontinuing percent discount on
    Plans. Anyone who had a corporate type discount will be able to keep it if they had it before April 1st. New qualified subscribers will
    Get 25 dollars off of a new phone purchase

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
    Sent from my Coconut Wireless Sony Xperia Z1S

With low data consumption something like Verizon would make sense. If I was you OP simply just write all the costs down and compare. Verizon is known for its coverage so that's a plus.

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    ROM
    LG's 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by HawaiiD View Post
    Plans. Anyone who had a corporate type discount will be able to keep it if they had it before April 1st. New qualified subscribers will

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
    Really? That sucks. I was looking forward to getting a discount once I got a job as a teacher. :/ Damn.

OP, I would greatly consider T-Mobile. Even if it isn't their framily or whatever plan it is cheaper in the long run. Even if you are paying on installment for your devices. Like one of the other posters here said, you could buy the phones outright at any time and lower your bill by $20-25 EACH device. So with 3 devices that would be $60-75 total. Plus, you'd have great services, NO overage charges AT ALL and you could get data for all of your devices that you need it for (and only one the ones you need it for) for cheaper than VZW, Sprint and AT&T. I'd just make sure the services is just as good, if not better, in your area before choosing. I'd hate to switch to a carrier and realize, oh wait, I had LTE here but now on this new carrier I have Edge (worst data you can get).
    Plus they have WiFi calling and their customer service is great. My family and I have been with them for 10 years and with their no contract plans we don't ever see ourselves leaving for any other carrier. The worst I could possibly do in the future, considering I'm 20, is move to my own plan. Still not leaving T-Mobile.

The discounts HawaiiD stated that are gone sucks though. I'll have to confirm this in the future.
    Current Carrier: T-Mobile (all phones are carrier locked, NO ROOT OR ANYTHING) || Current Phone: LG G3 || Previous Phone: Galaxy S4

Global Posts
    876 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HawaiiD View Post
    I am aware of this, which is why I emphasized that the OP is a public school teacher, and as such, a government employee. T-Mobile is discontinuing corporate discounts, but they are keeping and continuing discounts for government employees.

Except that the Nexus 5 is just as capable a phone, and the option isn't available on Verizon. When comparing two carriers, phone compatibility can itself save someone money, and that should be considered.

No one leases a phone - they buy it on installment. And it often works out in favor of the customer. It also forces the customer to consider the true cost of a phone, rather than its contract price, thus giving less expensive phones a less distorted market.
    Except the average consumer has no clue what a Nexus 5 is and how good it works....so they end up buying "what's known" or "hip" at the moment.

...and yes, its a LEASE when you don't plan on keeping your phone for longer than 2 years, and you go ahead and trade it in for no money in return. :facepalm:

Global Posts
    876 Global Posts

Except the average consumer has no clue what a Nexus 5 is and how good it works....so they end up buying "what's known" or "hip" at the moment.
    What does this have to do with the specific case here? I'm addressing an individual here on this forum, not some "average customer." The OP asked a specific question and I'm trying to provide a specific suggestion. What the "average" customer wants has nothing to do with this thread. If the OP didn't know about the Nexus 5, I'm letting her know. Unless you have a problem with me presenting that choice, I am not sure what your beef is.

...and yes, its a LEASE when you don't plan on keeping your phone for longer than 2 years, and you go ahead and trade it in for no money in return.
    That's false. You do NOT trade it in for no money in return. In fact, you trade it in for a specific sum: the sum equal to whatever is left on your device payments. If your device costs $600 and you have paid off $300 when you trade it in, you are trading it in for $300. The problem with the term 'lease' is that it implies a lack of choice. When you buy a phone on contract, you are free to keep it or trade it in if you want a new device. When you lease a car, you have to return it at the end of the lease period. The leaseholder also gets to dictate how you use a leased car (e.g. x number of miles per year, additional miles charged at y cents per mile), but when you buy a phone on installment, you determine how you use your phone. It's more a mortgage than a lease - except this doesn't cost interest.

Look, I understand that some find it better to pay a contract price and sign a contract. It may even make more sense for certain phones and plans - Verizon, for example, only takes $25 off for using EDGE, but for the top of the line devices, your monthly payment can exceed $30. If those are the devices you want, and you want to stay with your carrier for the foreseeable future, then it may well make sense for you to sign a contract. But this is why putting the cost of phones - at least as an option - is important for informed consumer choice. It may well lead to consumers deciding to purchase lower cost devices rather than devices pumped up with large marketing budgets.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

right now me and my mom both have the s3 and my nana just has a regular flip phone and not interested in a smart phone. I am either way going to get the S5, that's the one I want.

Global Posts
    876 Global Posts

right now me and my mom both have the s3 and my nana just has a regular flip phone and not interested in a smart phone. I am either way going to get the S5, that's the one I want.
    Hmm, if you are going to get 2 GS5s, then the difference will depend on the discount that T-Mobile may (or may not) give you. If it doesn't though, you may indeed be better off going with Verizon, assuming, again, that you can keep your mom and your mobile data consumption to under 1 GB a month... which might be a tough act, especially if you are going to use your brand new S5s to their full potential.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

When I was just on the phone with Verizon trying to calculate to see how much the bill would be, after taxes and an estimation on what the verizon fees and surcharges would be is only 4 dollars cheaper than what I am paying with Sprint, with 3 lines and 2gb of data.

Global Posts
    876 Global Posts

When I was just on the phone with Verizon trying to calculate to see how much the bill would be, after taxes and an estimation on what the verizon fees and surcharges would be is only 4 dollars cheaper than what I am paying with Sprint, with 3 lines and 2gb of data.
    Yeah, I wouldn't give up unlimited data to save 4 bucks.

What does this have to do with the specific case here? I'm addressing an individual here on this forum, not some "average customer." The OP asked a specific question and I'm trying to provide a specific suggestion. What the "average" customer wants has nothing to do with this thread. If the OP didn't know about the Nexus 5, I'm letting her know. Unless you have a problem with me presenting that choice, I am not sure what your beef is.

That's false. You do NOT trade it in for no money in return. In fact, you trade it in for a specific sum: the sum equal to whatever is left on your device payments. If your device costs $600 and you have paid off $300 when you trade it in, you are trading it in for $300. The problem with the term 'lease' is that it implies a lack of choice. When you buy a phone on contract, you are free to keep it or trade it in if you want a new device. When you lease a car, you have to return it at the end of the lease period. The leaseholder also gets to dictate how you use a leased car (e.g. x number of miles per year, additional miles charged at y cents per mile), but when you buy a phone on installment, you determine how you use your phone. It's more a mortgage than a lease - except this doesn't cost interest.

Look, I understand that some find it better to pay a contract price and sign a contract. It may even make more sense for certain phones and plans - Verizon, for example, only takes $25 off for using EDGE, but for the top of the line devices, your monthly payment can exceed $30. If those are the devices you want, and you want to stay with your carrier for the foreseeable future, then it may well make sense for you to sign a contract. But this is why putting the cost of phones - at least as an option - is important for informed consumer choice. It may well lead to consumers deciding to purchase lower cost devices rather than devices pumped up with large marketing budgets.
    No beef.
    Just pointing out that OP seems like the average consumer and even though you are telling her about the N5 and how it could save her money, her situation differs. Differs because she is looking for a cheaper plan overall that she won't pay monthly installments for a device and she doesn't seem to be interested in just doing that for the sake of getting 3 Nexus 5s'.

Then I'm pointing out the obvious; that unless she plans to keep her device past the two year mark, making monthly payments to then go trade it after paying $300+ is not a good deal at all when she can get a cheap plan with a subsidized phone ranging from $1-199, and that's it. No monthly payments. Even then when she wants to sell it, she can even get the money's worth back and then some.

So my suggestion to OP is, stay with the same plan, keep unlimited (although she can switch to a 1gb plan) and save money on a device in the short and long run.

That is all.

So my suggestion to OP is, stay with the same plan, keep unlimited (although she can switch to a 1gb plan) and save money on a device in the short and long run.

That is all.

If the OP goes down the 1 GB path she will save a ton more by going to framily.... 1 GB on the older plans is a HUGE rip off. They charge to much for it whereas framily it's included.

Dad had a 1500 minute plan with 1 GB (2 lines) and was paying 165 after taxes. Going to framily with just those 2 dropped him to 119 after taxes.

Now he has more in the framily and pays 65 after taxes.