Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sprint to start Throttling Top 5% in Congested Areas

Sprint is going to start throttling the top 5% of users in congested areas. What do you think about this?

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint...ongested-areas

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Last edited by Almeuit; 05-08-2014 at 10:35 AM.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

Global Posts
    20,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Sprint to start Throttling Top 5% in Congested Areas

Glad I am in the process of leaving.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

I hope this doesnt affect my service too much. I really don't want to leave Sprint.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using AC Forums mobile app

Bad news for Sprint unlimited users who have high usage. I wonder how many would move to tmobile to get unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE.

Also I wonder if this would be grounds to terminate the contract without paying etf. Probably they are covered legally speaking, though. Though if you move to tmobile, this won't be an issue anyway.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    UJ95x likes this.

It's already throttled in those areas. Just officially now.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    20,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by li2327 View Post
    I hope this doesnt affect my service too much. I really don't want to leave Sprint.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using AC Forums mobile app
    From the linked news source Almeuit posted, the top 5% will most likely include anyone using over 5GB of data. I don't know if that is per account or per line. But that would have included me.

From an SOKP Nexus 5

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Default Sprint begins to throttle

I live in Miami and I have LTE about 90% of the time on my N5. I hit about 8-12gigs a month of data usage....

Sprint is no where near the speeds of the competition, why would they throttle the already average to low speeds??

Link below.
    Sprint begins throttling users in congested areas

Sprint begins throttling users in congested areas | Android Central

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    ladyc0524 likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Default Re: Sprint begins to throttle

Quote Originally Posted by ttwiitch View Post
    I live in Miami and I have LTE about 90% of the time on my N5. I hit about 8-12gigs a month of data usage....

Sprint is no where near the speeds of the competition, why would they throttle the already average to low speeds??

Link below.
    Sprint begins throttling users in congested areas

Sprint begins throttling users in congested areas | Android Central

They are throttling to try and help the network. Not everyone gets LTE like you so some 3g areas are worse than having dial up Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    They are throttling to try and help the network. Not everyone gets LTE like you so some 3g areas are worse than having dial up Internet.

Yea I'm sure, but I doubt they will throttle 3G users .... So by throttling LTE users, 3G users will benefit??

Yea I'm sure, but I doubt they will throttle 3G users .... So by throttling LTE users, 3G users will benefit??

when those top 5% users enter an area (3g or 4g) then they would be throttled if it is a high load tower.

So if an usually lte user goes to a 3g area then he would be throttled if in the top 5%,allowing for more bandwidth for the other 3g users

Almeuit likes this.

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

If I'm going to have to watch my data usage I might as well move to att. Granted I would only have 10 GB for my 3 lines but considering I'm the only one that uses more than 1 it still comes out cheaper. And I get better coverage and faster speeds.
    mak916 likes this.

Oh, that explains why I sit in my car staring at the Sprint tower 300 feet away and Pandora keeps cutting out on my hi-tech LG G2 Tri-Band phone. My Sprint Spark 2G speeds are being throttled.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

So much for not throttling their users. Didn't they use that in a campaign to get more users to sign up with them last year? "TRULY Unlimited and NOT Throttled" is what I thought it said....Oh well! I hope it does not make their user base leave. (Heavy users)
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by cgardnervt View Post
    So much for not throttling their users. Didn't they use that in a campaign to get more users to sign up with them last year? "TRULY Unlimited and NOT Throttled" is what I thought it said....Oh well! I hope it does not make their user base leave. (Heavy users)
    Yeah they used to brag about no throttle but now that's changed .

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Yeah they used to brag about no throttle but now that's changed .

That sorta sucks. But if people are using a TON of data and they need to make sure it works for the rest of the area then I guess I would understand.

Quote Originally Posted by cgardnervt View Post
    That sorta sucks. But if people are using a TON of data and they need to make sure it works for the rest of the area then I guess I would understand.
    Yup, it makes sense. Then that next person complaints; **** service sucks. Well, I wonder how many other ppl are hogging it with extreme data usage...

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Yup, it makes sense. Then that next person complaints; **** service sucks. Well, I wonder how many other ppl are hogging it with extreme data usage...

Sometimes that can be the case but alot of people can't even use the service throttle or not. They have lots of work to use.

It's more they screamed no throttle and true unlimited.. Are now working on the network... And throttle people? It's just bad timing.

No throttling will not benefit anyone. By doing this, people spend more time on the network to load a simple webpage. Throttling kills a network...

Posted via Android Central App

Sometimes that can be the case but alot of people can't even use the service throttle or not. They have lots of work to use.

It's more they screamed no throttle and true unlimited.. Are now working on the network... And throttle people? It's just bad timing.

This is exactly why they're doing it. You're likely a victim of data abusers in your area and it's ruining your experience with Sprint and you've already begun complaining about the networks performance. It only takes like ~3 users maxing out the data on a sector to make speeds unbearable for the rest.

I was under a B41 site today with a -88dBm threshold today and pulled only 8mbps. B41 at that dBm typically pulls ~60mbps so I can only imagine someone's to renting or using Netflix constantly on the site and it's degrading the network. Surely 8mbps is very good, and I'm not complaining about it, but it is a good example to post here.

Sprints doing this to either control the heavy users or make them leave and in either scenario, Sprint comes out on top because the data abusers cost Sprint more than they're worth.

Sent from my LG-LS980

Maybe If they only throttled the top 1 percent, it wouldn't be big of an issue or have at least some what of a cutoff like 20gb

-Sent from Tapatalk
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by Overstew View Post
    This is exactly why they're doing it. You're likely a victim of data abusers in your area and it's ruining your experience with Sprint and you've already begun complaining about the networks performance. It only takes like ~3 users maxing out the data on a sector to make speeds unbearable for the rest.

I was under a B41 site today with a -88dBm threshold today and pulled only 8mbps. B41 at that dBm typically pulls ~60mbps so I can only imagine someone's to renting or using Netflix constantly on the site and it's degrading the network. Surely 8mbps is very good, and I'm not complaining about it, but it is a good example to post here.

Sprints doing this to either control the heavy users or make them leave and in either scenario, Sprint comes out on top because the data abusers cost Sprint more than they're worth.

Sent from my LG-LS980
    No... It's Sprints 3g not data users. They don't upgrade their infrastructure so now it's way to saturated and can't handle the people.. It's Sprints fault. It's not the customers fault for using data that is advertised as an all you can eat buffet. That's not right.... Tell people you have unlimited data then get mad when they use it?....

With T-Mobile I have me and a few coworkers using our data heavily... And I know there are more users in the area.. And we still pull the speeds below. If 3 users can bring Sprint to its knees that 110% their fault for not keeping their network up with the growing smartphone demand and yet telling people to come use unlimited data.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sprint to start Throttling Top 5% in Congested Areas-1400098358812.jpg   Sprint to start Throttling Top 5% in Congested Areas-1400098377850.jpg   Sprint to start Throttling Top 5% in Congested Areas-1400098388372.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Overstew View Post

Sent from my LG-LS980
    I would hope that Sprints system is more durable. I have verizon and work in a high rise amongst multiple high rises. My building alone has thousands of people.

I can still pull good speeds

Even at the Super Bowl, Verizon aws lte was able to pull over 20mbps average at the stadium.

Thanked by 2:
    AlmeuitUJ95x 
    Almeuit likes this.

No... It's Sprints 3g not data users. They don't upgrade their infrastructure so now it's way to saturated and can't handle the people.. It's Sprints fault. It's not the customers fault for using data that is advertised as an all you can eat buffet. That's not right.... Tell people you have unlimited data then get mad when they use it?....

With T-Mobile I have me and a few coworkers using our data heavily... And I know there are more users in the area.. And we still pull the speeds below. If 3 users can bring Sprint to its knees that 110% their fault for not keeping their network up with the growing smartphone demand and yet telling people to come use unlimited data.

So the bigger question is why hasnt sprint been upgrading their network?

First, Network vision, then Spark. Marketing scheme after marketing scheme without fixing the real problem. still no where as impressive as they claim it to be. Sad thing is I used to never have dropped calls with Sprint, I've been getting dropped calls left and right (never had happened before) with Sprint and got fed up with it and switched to T-mobile. I was pulling 1 mbps down with my nexus 5 (I'm in a Spark area), and now I pull 30 mbps down with tmobile in my house.

They have money now (well have had money for almost a year now) with Softbank. So what's the problem with Sprint being so crappy the last few years (more importantly this last year with $$$$ from softbank)

I honestly hope FCC raises hell with Sprint and takes back all of that unused spectrum they're hoarding, and gives T-mobile their $1 billion for a failed merger.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigballer View Post
    So the bigger question is why hasnt sprint been upgrading their network?

First, Network vision, then Spark. Marketing scheme after marketing scheme without fixing the real problem. still no where as impressive as they claim it to be. Sad thing is I used to never have dropped calls with Sprint, I've been getting dropped calls left and right (never had happened before) with Sprint and got fed up with it and switched to T-mobile. I was pulling 1 mbps down with my nexus 5 (I'm in a Spark area), and now I pull 30 mbps down with tmobile in my house.

They have money now (well have had money for almost a year now) with Softbank. So what's the problem with Sprint being so crappy the last few years (more importantly this last year with $$$$ from softbank)

I honestly hope FCC raises hell with Sprint and takes back all of that unused spectrum they're hoarding, and gives T-mobile their $1 billion for a failed merger.
    Sprint Samsung Galaxy S 5 Speed test.:

Thanked by:
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Sprint Samsung Galaxy S 5 Speed test.:

Yes Spark can hit high speeds but notice how you're having to post a video of someone else doing it instead of yourself. These speeds are in limited areas.. Most areas get under 1 Mbit on 3g...and some even that bad on LTE. Their network as a whole is suffering. Some areas are okay but the grand majority isn't and that is where Sprint is failing.

If they can get Spark rolled out fast enough it will make a world of a difference but until then the majority have crap speeds and simply can't even use data at some points.

Thanked by 2:
    jacker and Bigballer like this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast