Can't use LTE during a call on my M8.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I recently upgraded from a Sprint Galaxy Nexus to a M8. On my old Galaxy Nexus I had no problem using LTE (but not 3G) during a call. But it doesn't work on the M8. Is this a bug on the M8? Is it related to Spark? Sprint doesn't have VoLTE, right?

Posted via Android Central App

cerob

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Most phones on Sprint can not do simultaneous voice and data, there are only maybe 10 devices total that can & the m8 I believe is not one of them.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Most phones on Sprint can not do simultaneous voice and data, there are only maybe 10 devices total that can & the m8 I believe is not one of them.

So I looked it up. All Sprint LTE phones can use simultaneous voice and 4G data. But Spark phones don't support this. That's a pretty big limitation of Spark.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=13880

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

All new Spark devices cannot do Voice and data unless on wifi.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Correct. No simultaneous voice and data on spark devices.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
This gets hashed over every month or so. It's a design choice. I don't believe it is actually a limitation of Spark, but a design choice to have a single radio in the phones. This saves a lot of battery to not have to power two radios simultaneously. I believe it also will not be an issue once voice over LTE is utilized (but who knows when that will be).

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This gets hashed over every month or so. It's a design choice. I don't believe it is actually a limitation of Spark, but a design choice to have a single radio in the phones. This saves a lot of battery to not have to power two radios simultaneously. I believe it also will not be an issue once voice over LTE is utilized (but who knows when that will be).

I could see an argument for some battery save but a lot? No... You see Verizon phones last just as long as Sprint ones and they run dual.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

I know everything is a trade off, but considering that VoLTE is still probably a year or 2 away for Sprint, this seems like a questionable choice. What was the trade off? I assume battery and cost.

I don't know; Sprint is in a position where they are losing existing customers and struggling to attract new ones. It seems like a bad business decision to eliminate what is viewed by most people (especially Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile customers) as a core smartphone feature.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I could see an argument for some battery save but a lot? No... You see Verizon phones last just as long as Sprint ones and they run dual.

Yeah but that's probably not a good comparison because Verizon isn't running tri-band LTE like Spark phones do.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but that's probably not a good comparison because Verizon isn't running tri-band LTE like Spark phones do.

They aren't in majority of areas either since the network isn't there. So it's pretty fair.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
But VZW can't do it anywhere!

Voice and data? Or tri-band? They have their XLTE in places pulling 100 Mbps... I am sure they have no complaints :).

jerseygirl

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so just to be clear....the difference between my sprint galaxy s3 and note 4 is spark? I was able to do voice and data on my gs3. And the note 4 will be able to do this once Volte is up and running? Will it be as elusive as 4g? I'm pissed i can't do voice and data anymore and definitely would have reconsidered if i knew i were losing that feature.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so just to be clear....the difference between my sprint galaxy s3 and note 4 is spark? I was able to do voice and data on my gs3. And the note 4 will be able to do this once Volte is up and running? Will it be as elusive as 4g? I'm pissed i can't do voice and data anymore and definitely would have reconsidered if i knew i were losing that feature.

Yes you would need VoLTE to do Voice and data... Or wifi.

Also Sprint has said nothing about their VoLTE rollout so.. No real time frame on when you'll get it. Might not be soon due to them rebuilding their network.

dcmonte

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I just realized i'm having the same issue after buying the note 4, needless to say it's getting returned tomorrow and i'll be looking for another carrier after 13yrs with sprint. Had no problem using talk/data on my s4

jerseygirl

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Thank you ubigred so much! You just saved me a lot of hassle with trying to decide how my mom n daughter would fare with a higher bill if I left them on Sprint. I would have also given up my unlimited plan. Have an awesome weekend!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae