Sprint sucks. Losing 900K customers is not a good business model.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I had the opposite experience. As soon as you walk outside you lose signal.

I felt like they cheated and used "mini-towers" inside their stores.

Honestly they should all be doing that, a branded dealer that doesn't even bother making sure they have signal in their store would make me scratch my head.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Honestly they should all be doing that, a branded dealer that doesn't even bother making sure they have signal in their store would make me scratch my head.

How about improving their network so they don't need "cheaters"???

It's funny how some of the stores have wifi and all the display phones are connected to it.

buffdaddy72

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Or at other carriers. Sprint Sucks in a lot of areas, but in others they are great. Unfortunately their stores don't even have coverage here. Which both sad and funny.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Funny you would mention that. I went to a Sprint store a few weeks back to get my phone looked at. Bad coverage outside, as soon as I walked in, great coverage! They obviously had the Airwave turned up and blowing.
As soon as I walk back outside, bad coverage.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Despite what att and T-Mo try to tell you HSPA is actually still 3G

Posted via Android Central App

And yet when it gets faster speeds then the competition's supposed 4G, one really needs to think about it some.

Heck, AT&T's LTE doesn't really qualify as 4G based on the sub-8mbps speeds it gets in a lot of places.

CFR0628

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't have Sprint anymore. I've been back and fourth with sprint about four times in the past three years trying to decide which unlimited carrier I want. I just like like to stop by and get a good laugh on the Sprint forums now and than.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I hear that att's HSPA+ network is still faster than Sprint's LTE network in some areas. However the same can be said for Sprint I'm sure. I personally find att to be great to deal with from a CS stand point and coverage is great for what we have paid them over the past 4-5 years. Also Sprint has gotten LTE here in VT finally. However its still slower than 5 megs down on a good day is my understanding. So I don't miss them. Sprint does well in the big cities like Tmo does. So if you got a good area and coverage isn't that important then Sprint MIGHT save you some cash.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Everything is relative. These threads go round in circles. If it doesn't work for you, fine. Pick a carrier that never drops a call, never has a slowdown, etc, etc.

Sprint works for me no matter where I've been, so it's good for me. I've tried all the carriers except for Tmo because they have zero towers within 20 miles of me, in fact, they wouldn't even sell me a phone. So everyone is entitled to an opinion, but the gloating and hating on Sprint is just childish when all the carriers have their issues. My two cents.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I hear that att's HSPA+ network is still faster than Sprint's LTE network in some areas. However the same can be said for Sprint I'm sure. I personally find att to be great to deal with from a CS stand point and coverage is great for what we have paid them over the past 4-5 years. Also Sprint has gotten LTE here in VT finally. However its still slower than 5 megs down on a good day is my understanding. So I don't miss them. Sprint does well in the big cities like Tmo does. So if you got a good area and coverage isn't that important then Sprint MIGHT save you some cash.

Most areas differ, and drastically so with SPrint and T-Mobile. Here's how my area shakes out:

Verizon - The most coverage, network is loaded but not overloaded, speeds are decent. Unfortunately, there's a few spots with no coverage, and said spots include my home and my office. :)

AT&T - Almost as much coverage as Verizon, and they cover the spots Verizon missed, but per SOP for them, their network is way oversubscribed. I doubt "VoLTE HD Voice" will last long in their everlasting quest to squeeze more users into less bandwidth, but their customers seem to be used to it.

T-Mobile - Still EDGE in some places, but being converted to LTE. Very good HSPA+ coverage. Lightly-loaded network comparatively, speeds are fast and calls are clear. Widely available WiFi calling dovetails well with widely available Optimium WiFi service from the region's cable company.

Sprint - Still EVDO in the entire county, LTE being deployed to the south, turns into Spark as you get closer to NYC, but they seem to have halted LTE short of my county. The EVDO coverage is not terrible, but it's all PCS, and is patchier than T-Mobile AWS coverage.

This is not definitive of course, other areas will be VERY different, a lot depends on local population densities, terrain, local spectrum holdings, and even zoning laws (where are you actually allowed to build a tower). I will say that compared to the other carriers I'm the least impressed with AT&T and Sprint's overall business decisions, particularly investing so much in spectrum licenses way over 2 GHz (as in countrywide REA-size licenses) that have both range and penetration issues. That's my own personal opinion though, I know some others are completely in love with BRS.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Most areas differ, and drastically so with SPrint and T-Mobile. Here's how my area shakes out:

Verizon - The most coverage, network is loaded but not overloaded, speeds are decent. Unfortunately, there's a few spots with no coverage, and said spots include my home and my office. :)

AT&T - Almost as much coverage as Verizon, and they cover the spots Verizon missed, but per SOP for them, their network is way oversubscribed. I doubt "VoLTE HD Voice" will last long in their everlasting quest to squeeze more users into less bandwidth, but their customers seem to be used to it.

T-Mobile - Still EDGE in some places, but being converted to LTE. Very good HSPA+ coverage. Lightly-loaded network comparatively, speeds are fast and calls are clear. Widely available WiFi calling dovetails well with widely available Optimium WiFi service from the region's cable company.

Sprint - Still EVDO in the entire county, LTE being deployed to the south, turns into Spark as you get closer to NYC, but they seem to have halted LTE short of my county. The EVDO coverage is not terrible, but it's all PCS, and is patchier than T-Mobile AWS coverage.

This is not definitive of course, other areas will be VERY different, a lot depends on local population densities, terrain, local spectrum holdings, and even zoning laws (where are you actually allowed to build a tower). I will say that compared to the other carriers I'm the least impressed with AT&T and Sprint's overall business decisions, particularly investing so much in spectrum licenses way over 2 GHz (as in countrywide REA-size licenses) that have both range and penetration issues. That's my own personal opinion though, I know some others are completely in love with BRS.

Great post npaladin! Well stated as well. Everyone has a different point of view and that is why I like these forums! I know Sprint isn't all bad. My family in TN still uses Sprint and they seem to do ok. I Know data out there is hit or miss in some areas. They live near Gatlinburg! (Dollywood area) I get to visit at the end of this month and I'm driving from VT so I will get to see how the att cross country coverage really is with the GPS and what not!

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Everything is relative. These threads go round in circles. If it doesn't work for you, fine. Pick a carrier that never drops a call, never has a slowdown, etc, etc.

Sprint works for me no matter where I've been, so it's good for me. I've tried all the carriers except for Tmo because they have zero towers within 20 miles of me, in fact, they wouldn't even sell me a phone. So everyone is entitled to an opinion, but the gloating and hating on Sprint is just childish when all the carriers have their issues. My two cents.

msndrstood,
Thanks for the post! However I just wanna clear up that I'm not hating on Sprint. I was just giving some feed back from my area is all. It sounds like you got a good thing going and I for one would't want to take that away from ya! Sorry if you took it as such.

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
The data sucks but I never drop a call on sprint, I'm also a sero p user and with Tep, and I'm still paying less than att and Verizon users. Also T-Mobile has alot of extra charges, that 50 dollar plans comes up to 70 and change when the bill comes.

I pay 58 afters taxes without Tep.

Also I'm glad everyone thinks sprint sucks keeps the resale value very low on sprint phones, a iPhone 5s is barely 300 bucks on sprint compared to 4 hundred in att and Verizon.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The data sucks but I never drop a call on sprint, I'm also a sero p user and with Tep, and I'm still paying less than att and Verizon users. Also T-Mobile has alot of extra charges, that 50 dollar plans comes up to 70 and change when the bill comes.

I pay 58 afters taxes without Tep.

Also I'm glad everyone thinks sprint sucks keeps the resale value very low on sprint phones, a iPhone 5s is barely 300 bucks on sprint compared to 4 hundred in att and Verizon.

It only spikes like that if you have a phone payment. If i switched to the 50 plan I'd pay about 62ish after taxes and everything. It all depends where you live.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
It only spikes like that if you have a phone payment. If i switched to the 50 plan I'd pay about 62ish after taxes and everything. It all depends where you live.

Even then, $20 is too low to be EIP+taxes. So I call BS on that post.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I thought with spark your DL would rival Verizon xlte and T-Mobile wideband(60-100MB DL)? Not bad speeds though

Well if the area has a ton of users you can only have so much bandwidth to go around. Just like any carrier in todays day and age. Att and Verizon both have this same issue is some areas too. Its not just a Sprint issue. Just Sprint seems to be plagued by it more. But then again they have always been. I was a Sprint customer for about 5-6 years. Now I been with att for about 5-6 years and its A LOT different. Even with LTE here in VT my friends on Sprint only get 2 meg down....Its like their technology is always a few steps behind? I don't know.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
The data sucks but I never drop a call on sprint,
Whereas I, having been a 15-year Sprint customer, finally moved on, last year about this time, because it became nearly impossible to hold a call though my commute.

Also T-Mobile has alot of extra charges, that 50 dollar plans comes up to 70 and change when the bill comes.
Everybody tacks on various fees, and taxes are unavoidable. But $20 on a $50 plan? I don't think so.

I don't recall the break-down, off-hand, but my wife and I are paying less than $90/mo. for the 1GB/ea. plan, plus the international long-distance plan on her line, less the discount we get. Nobody can touch that.

Also I'm glad everyone thinks sprint sucks ...
I don't think Sprint "sucks." They just were no longer meeting my needs.

After having experienced T-Mobile: I'd be unlikely to return to Sprint. Coverage is about the same, but I'm now spoiled by things like unlocked GSM phones, free international roaming, economical international long-distance, free tethering, etc. If we make a move, it'll be to get reliable coverage, which almost certainly means Verizon. Sprint had their chance to retain me as a customer, and blew it. Badly. They've probably lost me forever. But maybe not. If they return to being the brash, disruptive carrier they were when I signed on, 16 years ago, they might be able to win me back.

Jim

zipdrive73

May 6, 2012
Visit site
It's a merger more than a purchase.
Neither can compete with the big 2 alone.

Yeah it also worked great in a centralized area of about 2 miles in my folks neck of the woods and in town where I live but not my house. Coverage for me in the Bham metro and when in Atl sucked big time. Couldn't get coverage in Georgia Dome. TG for wifi. Either way, I got out of ETF and just moved to T-Mobile. AT&T pissed me off with their Next restrictions going as far as saying my credit was not good enough which is BS (checked it myself ). Being throttled back after allotment is still going to be better than anything I was getting with Sprint. Building from the ground up must have meant tearing down what was already there and putting them together piece by piece.

Whoever said they partnered with Verizon on tower roaming, your full of it. Inlaws on Verizon, excellent coverage at their house, beyond suck on Sprint.

I'm thankful that merger is not happening. ..I'm done with Sprint unless a miracle happens.

Posted via the Android Central App

zipdrive73

May 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't recall the break-down, off-hand, but my wife and I are paying less than $90/mo. for the 1GB/ea. plan, plus the international long-distance plan on her line, less the discount we get.

How did you get a discount? I asked about one thru my work and with new employer I start with on Monday and they didn't offer compared to AT&T. However after I pay the phones, we go down to $138 on 3GB per line.

Posted via the Android Central App