Switching to Sprint from Verizon

Benji stark-elster

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking of switching from Verizon to sprints family share pack. On Sprint I'm paying $190 a month for 4 smartphone and 12 GB data which is usually barely enough, and because of the limit I don't let my family watch many videos in data. On Sprint I could pay $100 a month for a year and then $160 after that for 20gb +2gb a line so 28gb. I live in the bay area in walnut Creek near SF and I know there's decent coverage. How do speeds compare of 5 bars LTE Sprint vs Verizon? Do you guys like sprint and get good call quality? Thanks.

Posted via the Android Central App

lennyj17

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Sprint is still heavily in the middle of Network Vision in SF Bay Area....better check that you have decent LTE where you work and play... I personally wouldnt choose Sprint if I lived in an area were the majority of there network is still being overhauled and NOT officially Spark launched. Being Spark launched is the best indicator the network overhaul is sufficiently complete.

Thankfully NYC is Spark launched...So I too will be going back to Sprint from Verizon which is an overpriced trainwreck in NYC

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok. Is there a way to try out a sprint phone for a week or so?

Thirty Days actually:

"Sprint is firing back at T-Mobile's new "Test Drive" promotion with a pretty sweet offer of its own.
Those interested in Sprint service can now try it out risk free for 30 days, the carrier announced on Monday.

"We believe customers will be delighted with the Sprint retail experience, our customer service, and the performance of America's newest network," Sprint Chief Executive Officer Dan Hesse said in a statement, "so we're guaranteeing it."

The Sprint trial offer begins on June 27 and is available to new customers, select small businesses, and existing customers who activate a new line of service. If you aren't "completely satisfied" with your Sprint service within the first 30 days, the carrier will refund the cost of your device and waive all service and activation charges.

Other major carriers typically allow you to return your phone and cancel contracts within 14 days, but usually include a $35 re-stocking fee, unless the phone is unopened.
"The satisfaction guarantee provides wireless users a risk-free experience of Sprint's improved network, exclusive Framily plan, and unique services," Sprint said in a statement."

Mav. :cool:

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Remember you get what you pay for! In Racine Wisconsin, which is just 20 minutes south of milwaukee, Population 84,000.. Sprint sucks and Network Vision/LTE Network has been complete for almost a year... Service is terrible... Great Signal, but the data sucks... Just Remember you get what you pay for! I have never had a Dropped call, or Data Lag with Verizon... Ever!

Ltauhmise

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I have 2 cellphone plans. My personal is on Verizon/Unlimited. My business phone is on Sprint/Unlimited (Technically Virgin Mobile). While Sprint offers very competitive pricing they have horrible building penetration (in my opinion). I also live on the coast and it seems as though Sprint's footprint is localized to either the West Coast or East Coast of the country. Midland American is unreliable. I would stay with Verizon as they have the most expansive LTE network and the most reliable network. The saying goes "You get what you pay for". But best of luck mate.

lennyj17

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Remember you get what you pay for! In Racine Wisconsin, which is just 20 minutes south of milwaukee, Population 84,000.. Sprint sucks and Network Vision/LTE Network has been complete for almost a year... Service is terrible... Great Signal, but the data sucks... Just Remember you get what you pay for! I have never had a Dropped call, or Data Lag with Verizon... Ever!

You should come to NYC...Verizon LTE is Horrible here.... Network is completely oversold... LTE is slow as molasses even the new XLTE is starting slow down, where ever you can actually get it.... Sprint Spark is an awesome thing...So Glad I switched back.

Sprint maybe done with Network Vision, but noway are they done with LTE.... NV and LTE are NOT one in the same.....Spark is not complete anywhere... They're still add 8T8R b41 everywhere, lots of sites still need their Backhaul upgraded.... Network Vision was just the ripping and replacing of equipment, it doesn't mean LTE availability... LTE is dependent on Backhaul upgrades, and a lot of that is out of Sprint hand, since they don't own the fiber, they're at the mercy of 3 party Backhaul vendors.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You should come to NYC...Verizon LTE is Horrible here.... Network is completely oversold... LTE is slow as molasses even the new XLTE is starting slow down, where ever you can actually get it.... Sprint Spark is an awesome thing...So Glad I switched back.

Sprint maybe done with Network Vision, but noway are they done with LTE.... NV and LTE are NOT one in the same.....Spark is not complete anywhere... They're still add 8T8R b41 everywhere, lots of sites still need their Backhaul upgraded.... Network Vision was just the ripping and replacing of equipment, it doesn't mean LTE availability... LTE is dependent on Backhaul upgrades, and a lot of that is out of Sprint hand, since they don't own the fiber, they're at the mercy of 3 party Backhaul vendors.

Mercy? I wouldn't say that. They chose those. If they can't upgrade Sprint shouldn't use them. Other carriers can get speed .. So Sprint should be able to as well.

grydlok

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
My friend switched to Sprint from Verizon. He is not happy.
Funny thing he gets LTE at his house but none of the places he goes.

Nothing I shoot ever gets back up again

lennyj17

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Mercy? I wouldn't say that. They chose those. If they can't upgrade Sprint shouldn't use them. Other carriers can get speed .. So Sprint should be able to as well.

No other carriers that DONT OWN FIBER in the local area "Get Speed"...Difference is Verizon and ATT OWN FIBER in many of their locations. So yea in a way you could say Sprint is at the Mercy of the Vendors.... T-MO started laying its ground work for backhaul a lot earlier than Sprint, back when we were still in a 3G world of doing things. Which allow them to avoid the egg on their face that Sprint has now trying to get Backhaul Vendors to move faster, and if V and ATT are the vendors in a particular market, well forget it, there going to make this as slowly painful as possible for Sprint and any other competitor for that matter.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
No other carriers that DONT OWN FIBER in the local area "Get Speed"...Difference is Verizon and ATT OWN FIBER in many of their locations. So yea in a way you could say Sprint is at the Mercy of the Vendors.... T-MO started laying its ground work for backhaul a lot earlier than Sprint, back when we were still in a 3G world of doing things. Which allow them to avoid the egg on their face that Sprint has now trying to get Backhaul Vendors to move faster, and if V and ATT are the vendors in a particular market, well forget it, there going to make this as slowly painful as possible for Sprint and any other competitor for that matter.
If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that Sprint is at the mercy of its fiber vendors to rollout fiber where it needs it. Which I would agree with but Sprint brought it on themselves. Their wimax network was heavily based on microwave backhaul. Of course wimax in itself really hurt Sprint but that is another story.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I am in LA and in a high rise among multiple high rises. luckily Verizon xlte is still solid here(30-60mbps), though 700MHz is sluggish(2-8mbps).

The difference is though that Verizon has already used all the spectrum that it has and probably why the aws-3 auction is reaching $45 billion. Verizon realizes that they need more spectrum. They have even refarmed pcs to lte in New York. Sprint doesn't need more high spectrum, they need to use what spectrum they have. Though I would suspect that they would try to get some 600 MHz when that comes around.

lennyj17

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that Sprint is at the mercy of its fiber vendors to rollout fiber where it needs it. Which I would agree with but Sprint brought it on themselves. Their wimax network was heavily based on microwave backhaul. Of course wimax in itself really hurt Sprint but that is another story.

Correct, Sprint did bring this on themselves in a way.... No Arguments about that here.... Remember Sprint didn't build out the WiMax network, that was Clearwire, which Sprint brought to gain the 2.5 spectrum... Clear (WiMax) was a disaster all the way around, some would say it was worse than buying Nextel.

I am in LA and in a high rise among multiple high rises. luckily Verizon xlte is still solid here(30-60mbps), though 700MHz is sluggish(2-8mbps).

The difference is though that Verizon has already used all the spectrum that it has and probably why the aws-3 auction is reaching $45 billion. Verizon realizes that they need more spectrum. They have even refarmed pcs to lte in New York. Sprint doesn't need more high spectrum, they need to use what spectrum they have. Though I would suspect that they would try to get some 600 MHz when that comes around.

In NYC it is very common to see 3G, or even 1X at times, on your phone with Verizon. XLTE is deployed like a Hotspot here, doesn't blanket city like 700mhz LTE does.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Huh I live in NYC and I on average get around 30 mbps with Verizon and peaked around 70 mbps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mdk32014

Banned
Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
I also know someone who is looking at switching to Sprint from Verizon. Not sure whether they are going to choose T Mobile or Verizon or Sprint is far as what carrier they end up with. I am wondering who is better between 32 and if the cut your bill in half is a good deal or not.

Posted via the Android Central App