1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sprint says mfgs warrenty no good without optional insurance.

Am I missing something?
    I tried to take my EVO in to my local sprint store today because the speaker phone/ringer speaker went out, and I was told I have to pay for the repair because I dont have the optional insurance from sprint. When I asked why it is not covered by the 1 year factory warranty the rep basically told me that no insurance = no repair without paying for it, or I can send it in to HTC and be without a phone for who knows how long.

When I was with Verizon and ATT it was always 15 min and a new phone.
    I have NEVER needed the insurance for repair or replacement so I only have lost/theft though state farm. Its much cheeper that way, $15 a phone per year.

Am I getting the run around or is this sprints policy?

Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    ROM
    MMuzzy 4.2

That's pretty much it if you refrence the mfgs. warranty you have to take that up with them (in this case htc), whoever sold you your phone should have explained the insurance to you, usually if you decline it, then they will really spell it out, and ask "are you sure???" then go on and say "If such and such happens you'll have to pay out of pocket for the repairs"

This was I was told wheen i bought my evo cause I thought they were just trying to run the tab up on me, but when I really sat and thought about it, I was like I need to have protection in case something happens... unfortunately that's how insurance works, you pay for it and most of the time never need it, but that one time....
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by bboykin87 View Post
    That's pretty much it if you refrence the mfgs. warranty you have to take that up with them (in this case htc), whoever sold you your phone should have explained the insurance to you, usually if you decline it, then they will really spell it out, and ask "are you sure???" then go on and say "If such and such happens you'll have to pay out of pocket for the repairs"

This was I was told wheen i bought my evo cause I thought they were just trying to run the tab up on me, but when I really sat and thought about it, I was like I need to have protection in case something happens... unfortunately that's how insurance works, you pay for it and most of the time never need it, but that one time....
    Thanks for your response.

Even though I dont believe we are on the same page. The optional insurance is for lost/stolen/user damaged phones. I have this coverage through state farm. This is not the case. One day my speaker just quit, and I expect sprint and HTC to fix it without sending my phone away for a week or longer. When I had verizon/ATT I would be leaving the store with a swapped out phone with all my data/pictures/contacts moved over, for free. Thats what a warranty is. I baby my phones and if I had caused the damage I would have no problem paying for it. The rep even told me "If you had the optional insurance you would be walking out with a fixed phone, but you dont so send it off or pay"

If I go out a buy a new car, and something breaks under the warrenty period(3yr/36,000miles) the dealer wont tell you that they will not fix it because you didnt get the extended warrenty(5years). Thats a terrible CS and business practice.

If this is how sprint treats people then I might just have to go back to Verizon or an iphone.

Global Posts
    105 Global Posts

I never had that problem when I had Sprint and neither has my wife or her family and they're all on Sprint...

It was my understanding that Sprint would charge $35 for dealing with warranty claims if you didn't have their insurance (otherwise if you have the TEP insurance, warranty claims would be free, and loss type claims would be a $100 deductible)

I remember they just changed their policy on warranty claims right before I bought my new Epic, so I went ahead and got the insurance (I've never bothered insuring before, but with $35 to do warranty work, I figured it could add up fast if there were problems)

But, yeah, you could send in the phone directly to the manufacturer for them to do the warranty work for free otherwise.

Found it, here's a link to the $35 in store charge for warranty work with no insurance that I was talking about: