Can I sell a phone that I stopped making payments on?

kill_gavin

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
I have a HTC M8, and I stopped making payments for my sprint service. Is it possible to still sell the phone and let someone else activate it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I don't think so. It'll cause headaches for the buyer. We hear about this with Sprint phones all the time--people buy a used Sprint phone, then find they can't activate it because the previous owner never settled their account.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If the phone is unlocked, yes. If the phone is unlocked BUT still not payed for, legally you shouldn't, and legally Sprint could blacklist the phone, meaning that while it might work initially, if they do, the phone won't work anymore.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
B. Diddy and SpookDroid are right. If you don't pay up Sprint will likely blacklist the phone's IMEI number, turning the phone into a paperweight. They may have blacklisted it already.

A buyer would be really ticked off...

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You have to pay for what you buy -- always -- no matter what. So therefore you cannot sell it to someone else since Sprint will still want their money and they will blacklist the IMEI if they don't receive it. Which will basically make the phone a brick on all networks since they share the blacklist IMEI database.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21