Does Sprint Still Charge for Premium Data?

Peter Venkman

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm coming off a two-year contract and my options are wide open: switching carriers, any leasing program, etc. But when pricing out Sprint's options I can't find the nickel-and-dime, BS, auto-add-on that they stuck me with: the "Premium Data (required for this device)" at $10 a month on top of my current plan. Do they still add this on or did they do away with it many moons ago?

Last edited:

andrewjs18

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
just looked at my bill last night to see how much I was paying, and yep, still getting hit with their premium data charge. I think it's $10 or $20/month.

Peter Venkman

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
FWIW, I did speak with Sprint via chat and they stated this:

"The $10 Premium Data fee only applies to the expired Everything Data plans, as they were not originally built to accommodate the amount of data that smartphones would require. Now we have plans where the premium data add on is not required."

andrewjs18

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, I did speak with Sprint via chat and they stated this:

"The $10 Premium Data fee only applies to the expired Everything Data plans, as they were not originally built to accommodate the amount of data that smartphones would require. Now we have plans where the premium data add on is not required."

do you know which plan is replacing the Everything Data? That's probably the plan I'm on as I've been with sprint for a long time now.

Peter Venkman

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, I don't know what's replacing it. Funny, but on Best Buy's website they still mention the $10 Premium add-on for Everything Data, though that could just be one hand not knowing what the other is doing. I'm probably going to pre-order a G4 this week, and when I do I'll ask both Sprint and BB what the story is? I'm not locking myself into anything and having a $10 charge blindside me.

UDPGuy

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, I don't know what's replacing it. Funny, but on Best Buy's website they still mention the $10 Premium add-on for Everything Data, though that could just be one hand not knowing what the other is doing. I'm probably going to pre-order a G4 this week, and when I do I'll ask both Sprint and BB what the story is? I'm not locking myself into anything and having a $10 charge blindside me.

1. Its $10. 2. Those were on the older plans, the new plans they offer now don't have the fee.

Posted via Nexus 6 with unlimited international data via AT&T

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
A good counter point is this: Taking into consideration the $10 charge, does that charge bring a cell phone bill closer to the competition? Say if you are $5 extra off from being on Verizon, it can make a difference.

UDPGuy

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Someone already said what the "Premium Data charge" Was for. It also makes sense if you think about it.

It does have sense. People just don't understand how much it cost to build out a new network and that the plan doesn't match the phone. The plan was never meant to be for a mini computer with 4G LTE. It was they make you pay $10 or switch plans. Be happy you had a choice lol

Posted via Nexus 6 with unlimited international data via AT&T

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Because you don't agree with what I said, that makes me a troll ? LMAO that's funny

Posted via the Android Central App

No, the fact that you came into a thread and attempted to derail it by trolling makes you a troll. And I guess that's secondary to the fact that you created an account in order to do it, as well as a couple of other trolling posts. Please take a few minutes to review the forum rules again. Here is a link: Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

As that link indicates, if you have any more questions or comments please feel free to shoot me a private message about it instead of further disrupting the thread.

Edit: Clarification - I agree that Sprint sucks. What I disagree with is the idea that creating an account in order to crap on a thread that has nothing to do with quality of service could be construed as anything but trolling. The issue here is not a disagreement on your argument, it is the fact that trolling is prohibited, like all disruptive behaviors.

Last edited:

cmack92

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
No, the fact that you came into a thread and attempted to derail it by trolling makes you a troll. And I guess that's secondary to the fact that you created an account in order to do it, as well as a couple of other trolling posts. Please take a few minutes to review the forum rules again. Here is a link: Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
Charging a premium data fee on sprint FOR these speeds......lol I almost choked to death

Posted via the Android Central App

As that link indicates, if you have any more questions or comments please feel free to shoot me a private message about it instead of further disrupting the thread.

Edit: Clarification - I agree that Sprint sucks. What I disagree with is the idea that creating an account in order to crap on a thread that has nothing to do with quality of service could be construed as anything but trolling. The issue here is not a disagreement on your argument, it is the fact that trolling is prohibited, like all disruptive behaviors.
178293d1432662560t-sprint-t-mobile-x5yoj6v.png

Can't really bash sprint when this was taking during Rush hour(Busiest time of the day here), i don't mind paying 10$ for premium data.. I'm still on that old old plan! lol

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Can't really bash sprint when this was taking during Rush hour(Busiest time of the day here),

I believe Assassin just meant in General. That is great in your area -- In my area even during the dead of night I couldn't get good speeds. Also is that an actual test from you or just Root metrics saying that is the peak you can hit?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
http://forums.androidcentral.com/attachments/sprint/178293d1432662560t-sprint-t-mobile-x5yoj6v.png
Can't really bash sprint when this was taking during Rush hour(Busiest time of the day here), i don't mind paying 10$ for premium data.. I'm still on that old old plan! lol

I know several people that are on Sprint and enjoy it. I definitely mean that in most places, compared to the competition, it's not up to snuff. That being said, if you love your plan - by all means, keep loving it :) The best judge of a good value is the consumer.

(I was more speaking to the point that me disagreeing with someone does not make them a troll - trolling makes them a troll, even if I agree with one or more points they make)

cmack92

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I believe Assassin just meant in General. That is great in your area -- In my area even during the dead of night I couldn't get good speeds. Also is that an actual test from you or just Root metrics saying that is the peak you can hit?
Actual test on rootmetrics during peak hours(roads packed because these roads are the busiest in the city).3-7PM

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87