How Soon After an Announcement Will Sprint Release a Device?

BoulderJD10

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone, I'm eligible for an upgrade and I'm trying to decide if I should wait until Feb. 7th. I currently have a Tour, but I'm looking forward to upgrading to an Android. As most of you know, Sprint will make some type of announcement in Feb, most likely, a new device, and I'm wondering how soon after they might release it. Does Sprint typically release a phone shortly after an announcement or do they wait for a month or so like Verizon is doing with the iPhone?

lornaevo

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I figure it will be another one or two months after the announcement. But it may be as far away as June. I think summer is when they release the blockbuster phones.

futurefrom83

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I would say just wait your only talking 12 days. See what sprint has to say on the 7th, shoot you would even be able to get to a sprint store or retailer that night if the announcment wasn't something you were interested in. I say this because let's say it is a device atleast at the announcment you will know the release date and if its worth waiting.

Sent from my EVO Shift using Tapatalk

BoulderJD10

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm debating whether to buy now or wait because Radio Shack is selling the Evo for $149.99. I'm thinking that they might raise the price by Feb. 7, and if Sprint won't actually release the phone, if it is a phone, for several months from now, I'd rather just get it while the price is still discounted. The Blackberry is okay, but it's light years behind the Evo.

Q-fugee

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I asked the same question of our internal rep. To keep the announcement on 2/7 super-secret, no one inside knows what it is. Instead, they will announce it on 2/7 and then give the oompah loompahs 90 days to make it work.

--Qfg

MemBirdman

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Trying to read the tea-leaves a little bit here...

It seems a little too coincidental for Sprint to hold their announcement a couple weeks after changing up the Premier eligibility. So if there are any devices that will be available, it seems to me that they are expecting those devices to be held off till after April 1.

If any come before then, then it's reasonable to assume that anyone due for an upgrade in the current Premier system between now and April 1 would just wait for the newest hardware if they put it out before April Fools' Day. If they wait till after, they maximize their profits by selling the devices to Silver-level Premier members who just can't wait another year.

Does that make sense?

I'm with you. I'm eligible for an upgrade on Feb 1, but I'm going to wait to hear the announcements on the 7th. I'm working from the assumption, though, that the hardware won't be available before April. I'll be dropping back down to the Silver level of Premiere (only 6 years with Sprint), so I'm pretty much assuming I've got to pick what's already here (Evo) and I'm waiting to see if the Sprint announcement has anything to do with a reduced plan.

futurefrom83

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Boulder,

Don't forget you will have 30 days after you buy to decide if you want to keep the phone or not. That is something to think about.

Birdman,

I think your spot on with you logic, the biggest thing about this annoucment is whether it is going to be network/plan based or phone/tablet based. Hard telling not knowing.

Sent from my EVO Shift using Tapatalk

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Trying to read the tea-leaves a little bit here...

It seems a little too coincidental for Sprint to hold their announcement a couple weeks after changing up the Premier eligibility. So if there are any devices that will be available, it seems to me that they are expecting those devices to be held off till after April 1.

Actually they would have to wait until after May 1st to avoid this. I could get an EVO on March 31st and I could return it up until April 30th.

It seems highly unlikely they would have an announcement on Feb 7th, then wait 3 months to release it.

An "industry first"? How about announcing a product on Feb 7th and have it available online Feb 8th, and in stores as soon as they can ship it?

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If there is a phone you see at this time.. I would recommend you getting it. You might not even like the one's they coming out with. My favorite is the EVO, or the Evo shift.

MemBirdman

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Actually they would have to wait until after May 1st to avoid this. I could get an EVO on March 31st and I could return it up until April 30th.

It seems highly unlikely they would have an announcement on Feb 7th, then wait 3 months to release it.

An "industry first"? How about announcing a product on Feb 7th and have it available online Feb 8th, and in stores as soon as they can ship it?

Good point, but you got my general logic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781