New Nextel Devices

Triple Threat

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
That whole family of devices was an attempt to take Nextel's, Push To Talk (PTT) and make it CDMA friendly. They used "Q-chat" for PTT. Without getting to techy, it's basically a VoIP form of PTT that was developed by Qualcomm, that Sprint was hoping would let them phase out the iDen network that Nextel currently runs on. They didn't work quite as well as hoped for and there aren't any plans for new devices that use this form of PTT.

MotoDroid

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Dont know why they dont jus improve the Iden technology which they could instead of tryin to make a new technology,you jus cant beat Nextel`s PTT period. Sprint has tried themselves,Verizon tried again,ATT has tried,Sprint should jus improve the Iden and stop playing around.

skife

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Dont know why they dont jus improve the Iden technology which they could instead of tryin to make a new technology,you jus cant beat Nextel`s PTT period. Sprint has tried themselves,Verizon tried again,ATT has tried,Sprint should jus improve the Iden and stop playing around.

you'd have to understand the technology behind it.

basically iDen doesn't run on the right frequency for fast data.

Triple Threat

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
you'd have to understand the technology behind it.

basically iDen doesn't run on the right frequency for fast data.

Exactly. iDen is great at PTT but it really doesn't do anything else well. It's data rate would be the cellular equal to dial up. :confused: I really don't see iDen lasting longer than 2015. It's a 2g tech in a 4g world

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I can't remember when was the last time I've seen anyone with a "Nextel" phone.

I totally forgot all about that carrier.

Triple Threat

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I seem to remember that WiDen was lost when Sprint bought Nextel. I don't remember exactly why, but I seem to remember that it was done to free up bandwidth. I'm not 100% on exactly why though

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar