10$ extra fees

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Because of these new fees, can i cancel my contract without an ETF?

My contract began in august 2010. so i really dont know how those things work.

but i simply cant afford my smartphone bill at this time and am looking to join my parents family plan.

any info from someone who knows about these things would be great. i tried doing research but had a hard time understanding the specifics

Also my freaking capacitive buttons keep farting out. they become unresponsive. when i take it in, will i get a refurbished phone back?

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Due to the fact that this change had no impact on you as you were already paying it, I am quite sure that this change won't allow you to break the contract.

The change didn't currently impact anyone until they go to get a new smartphone as everyone else who wasn't paying the extra $10 was grandfathered in until they change phones.

eerongal

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
yeah, unfortunately, this does not represent a change in your contract, so you can't get out of the ETF. Now, sprint i think allows you to downgrade your service, so you could get rid of the data plan, but then you'd be required to swap to a lower tier phone. Other than that, your only way out is the ETF.

jaredsutter

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
If your parents are also on sprint, you should be able to jump to their plan without breaking contract. I brought my mom and sister onto a plan with my wife and me that way, and saved us all some money.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
@shaundizzle, I think they are all correct. This won't work as an excuse to break your contract without penalty.

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Another option you have is finding a friend or someone who would be willing to take over your contract and basically transferring everything over to them. I know some carriers allow this, not sure about Sprint though.

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
If I need a replacement phone, if they are not able to fix my capacitive buttons, will I then be forced to pay the 10$ which is essentially a 20$ when including the 4g price.

Because I read that if you swap esn then you have to pay the extra money. Although I am now getting confused on whether or not this new expense is only for 3g phones. And 4g phones are excluded because they are already charged the 10$

So from my understanding, this 10$ nonsense is just to get everyone who uses data to pay. So basically turning the 69.99 plan into a 79.99 plan

EDIT: Sorry if this post has grammar errors. I'm typing on my phone using the SwiftKey app, and it takes some getting used to.

inkdup102586

May 15, 2010
Visit site
You only pay $10, without or without 4g now. You might be able to get out of your contract by telling them your in the military or shipping out somewhere. Lying about being a soldier isnt cool, but some carriers will do anything to help. Verizon did

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
If I need a replacement phone, if they are not able to fix my capacitive buttons, will I then be forced to pay the 10$ which is essentially a 20$ when including the 4g price.

Because I read that if you swap esn then you have to pay the extra money. Although I am now getting confused on whether or not this new expense is only for 3g phones. And 4g phones are excluded because they are already charged the 10$

So from my understanding, this 10$ nonsense is just to get everyone who uses data to pay. So basically turning the 69.99 plan into a 79.99 plan

EDIT: Sorry if this post has grammar errors. I'm typing on my phone using the SwiftKey app, and it takes some getting used to.

You won't be charged ANOTHER $10. You are already charged the $10 and have been since you got the Epic. Switching to any smartphone will not change your bill at all.

jaredsutter

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
The $10 fee is for premium data. 4g phones have been charged this fee since the evo. Sprint is now making the fee apply to all smartphones. You will not be doubly charged this fee. Also, a replacement phone should not have any effect on your contract.