Sprint/Clearwire Silently Expanding WiMax

uh60james

May 16, 2010
Visit site
A look at the map on clear.com shows a lot of wimax towers going live. I live in Birmingham, AL but noticed other small pockets of 4G going live. The wimax footprint has grown rather significantly in the Birmingham metro over the past two weeks or so. When I first noticed it on clears website it appeared 2 towers were online and a check this morning shows 5 towers online with coverage moving northeast through the metro and some towers in surrounding cities as well.

Neither Sprint nor Clear have announced any new wimax markets for 2011 as far as I know. Does anyone have any info on this? Perhaps Clear is just trying to grab spectrum up or maybe Sprint is rolling out its Network Vision plan. Either way I hope the expansion continues.

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
They (Clearwire) have not made any recent anouncements but they have been quoted as saying they have enough funds to push to 130 million customers.. Back in Feb they had 119 million people in 71 markets covered.. So they will be slowly rolling out more throughout the year..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol