Help me understand "mobile-optimized streaming videos, gaming and music"

mgftp

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I am thinking of giving Sprint a try after recently having my UDP w/ Verizon jacked up $20.

I am wondering how they "optimize" this media streaming? I am not a tech genius but I assume if my device calls for data that the cell tower doesn't know what it is for, so how do they cut down the quality, for instance watching a youtube video. Right now I bring up the youtube app and I get 1080 video, how does Sprint know it's video I am getting with the data and is there a workaround for this? It kinda pains me when I have to watch something in 480p these days, even on the little phone screen :/

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Basically .. they "optimize" the video (a.k.a downgrade it to 480P) and as for music they simply are throttling the amount of speed you can stream it at.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Basically .. they "optimize" the video (a.k.a downgrade it to 480P) and as for music they simply are throttling the amount of speed you can stream it at.
Yes but when you open YouTube or a music app, how does the tower know it's either or??? And not data being pulled for another app?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes but when you open YouTube or a music app, how does the tower know it's either or??? And not data being pulled for another app?

On the back end as it connects to various servers / ports the Sprint system recognizes it and sets it as needed. This is why Sprint & T-Mobile had to work with providers to set this up. This way their network would know when your phone connects to X server or X port it is streaming YouTube video and it sets to optimize / throttle.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
On the back end as it connects to various servers / ports the Sprint system recognizes it and sets it as needed. This is why Sprint & T-Mobile had to work with providers to set this up. This way their network would know when your phone connects to X server or X port it is streaming YouTube video and it sets to optimize / throttle.
Interesting.

mgftp

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. So if I were streaming video from some unknown site I wouldn't be throttled down to 480p because their server probably wouldn't be listed to be recognized as needing to be throttled by Sprint? Not that this solves the issue, as most video I watch is through YouTube, just trying to understand how it works better.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info. So if I were streaming video from some unknown site I wouldn't be throttled down to 480p because their server probably wouldn't be listed to be recognized as needing to be throttled by Sprint? Not that this solves the issue, as most video I watch is through YouTube, just trying to understand how it works better.

Somewhat. Someone would have to test a non-branded site. With T-Mobile it still throttles the speed so it would buffer a lot if higher than 480.

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I am thinking of giving Sprint a try after recently having my UDP w/ Verizon jacked up $20.

I am wondering how they "optimize" this media streaming? I am not a tech genius but I assume if my device calls for data that the cell tower doesn't know what it is for, so how do they cut down the quality, for instance watching a youtube video. Right now I bring up the youtube app and I get 1080 video, how does Sprint know it's video I am getting with the data and is there a workaround for this? It kinda pains me when I have to watch something in 480p these days, even on the little phone screen :/

It's Sprint, don't expect fast data anyways. Stick with Verizon, you will thank me later!!

david61983

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm thinking of switching to Sprint from Verizon when my contract ends in a couple weeks. I've been told that I won't notice much difference between the two if I stay in fairly populated areas and that you really only need Verizon if you're out in the sticks. Is that mostly true?

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: Help me understand "mobile-optimized streaming videos, gaming and music"

I'm thinking of switching to Sprint from Verizon when my contract ends in a couple weeks. I've been told that I won't notice much difference between the two if I stay in fairly populated areas and that you really only need Verizon if you're out in the sticks. Is that mostly true?
Definitely true....and you always have 30 days to try out the network, risk free.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Definitely true....and you always have 30 days to try out the network, risk free.
This. I'd take a test around your area and see... Only way to know for sure.

david61983

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site

Isn't Sprint month to month anyways? I thought they got rid of contracts. I already have a Moto G4 so I wouldn't be leasing a phone.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

Isn't Sprint month to month anyways? I thought they got rid of contracts. I already have a Moto G4 so I wouldn't be leasing a phone.
Sprint has both. But if you lease or do payment installs on Sprint, they give u a 30 days satisfaction guaranteed. I suggest not using a G4 on Sprint to reap the full benefits of the LTE+ and LTE advance network.

joshua hildebrandt1

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Actually I have been trying to figure this out as well ...My wife and I actually switched to Sprint because of my employee discount and we wanted iPhones but also wanted unlimited data.
Really coverage has been great so far and data has been REALLY fast for us . I was with ATT for years and I got tired of getting tired of getting charged 10 dollars per gig of being over . When then went to Metro PCS which was nice but just decided to try something different... we are not under contract with anyone so it's been nice.. Really the only that that sucks is no Volte coverage which I honestly had no idea sprint did not offer. My wife uses Volte way more than I do so she actually was more pissed than I was .

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

Actually I have been trying to figure this out as well ...My wife and I actually switched to Sprint because of my employee discount and we wanted iPhones but also wanted unlimited data.
Really coverage has been great so far and data has been REALLY fast for us . I was with ATT for years and I got tired of getting tired of getting charged 10 dollars per gig of being over . When then went to Metro PCS which was nice but just decided to try something different... we are not under contract with anyone so it's been nice.. Really the only that that sucks is no Volte coverage which I honestly had no idea sprint did not offer. My wife uses Volte way more than I do so she actually was more pissed than I was .
That's the only downside to Sprint. No VoLTE yet.... I've only found myself to need this prob 1-2 times through the year on rare occasions but it would be nice if it was there. It's coming tho, and its coming very soon. If you look closely deep into Sprint, it's the only network that has the best foundation for the best service from now on. The most spectrum, the best site deployment strategy and for now, the best plans. Only thing they really need is to be more opened to BYOD style activations.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

That's the only downside to Sprint. No VoLTE yet.... I've only found myself to need this prob 1-2 times through the year on rare occasions but it would be nice if it was there. It's coming tho, and its coming very soon. If you look closely deep into Sprint, it's the only network that has the best foundation for the best service from now on. The most spectrum, the best site deployment strategy and for now, the best plans. Only thing they really need is to be more opened to BYOD style activations.
It'll be nice once they get on the ball and activate it. I use it a lot now on T-Mobile for navigation and talking.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Really coverage has been great so far and data has been REALLY fast for us .

It looks like the unlimited data is 2G except for "most other things" can you tell me what you're getting on the unlimited? My husband loves YouTube and I need it for my hotspot Internet connection but don't think 2G is gonna cut it for those things. Your input would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Deb

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital