Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default 4g In Louisville Ky

Long time lurker but just wanted to pass note that I am currently in the downtown area at work and it appears that 4g is now enabled. I have been running speed test for the past couple hours and getting between 7.3mb down/ 1.9mb up to 11.1mb down / 2.6mb down.

Unfortunately I do not have my cable with me to grab some screen shots but when I get home I will be testing the 4g in the South West end of town or Valley Station to see if the signal is in that area also.

If you are here in Louisville you might want to give your Evo a try and see if you can get any service with the 4g.

Sorry if anyone has already posted this...

Thanks!

Looks like it's just one tower downtown.

Check clear.com if you want to see coverage.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yup 1 tower right now and I was at DIXIE and BROADWAY but it stretches down to Cane Run Rd right at the Shively boarder. I do know that they have done the migration work on the tower out in the South West but have not fired it up yet.

I would say they will have atleast 4 towers lite up with 4g with in the next week or two.

It's funny that you start this thread today, because I just checked 4G in my office today on 8th and Market and I didn't get a connection. I was told by a local Sprint employee that we should have it soon, so I guess your post means we are headed in that direction. Thanks for the update.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by f1nzup View Post
    It's funny that you start this thread today, because I just checked 4G in my office today on 8th and Market and I didn't get a connection. I was told by a local Sprint employee that we should have it soon, so I guess your post means we are headed in that direction. Thanks for the update.
    I would look to tomorrow for more coverage. Sprint has been on a thing with getting areas up and going on the first of the month. If we get a majority of the metro up this will be great! I will actually start to feel that the extra 10.00 per month will have more meaning to it.

I was also advised that in the Okolona/Highview/Fern Creek area has seen the 4g up this week (this is just word of mouth) plus areas in St.Matthews so this could be the final approach for Sprint to get 4G going full steam for us. Shall see though as I will check my 4g connection again in the morning before heading out of the house just to see....

Sprint may have had to move faster in our area as VZ is coming to the Ville very soon (3 to 6mths) and ATT already turned up their Downstream services here. I think even T-Mo has adjusted their speeds as well.

Should make for a pretty good battle of the 4g's here!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Guess I should also note that I was on the second floor of a 8 Story building and the signal level averaged around 2 to 3 bars but out side I was hitting full bars. Not sure how far out east downtown the signal was going as I did not have anything to run out for repairs in that area. Maybe tomorrow I can head out that way to see how well the signal is.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Ok got a speed test up... Not the best I have had yet but not too bad:
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1230955946.png

Not up yet in the SW, but something is definitely going on as VM, and cell signal was all over the place and unstable last night.

f1nzup let me know if you are able to get 4g outside the office as the Wimax does not penetrate through buildings very well. I think the only reason I am able to is because we have a very large Glass Atrium Roof over the building.

Global Posts
    694 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

The best I have ever got while standing 10 feet away from a 4g tower was 10mbp down and 1.5up.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The test above was from inside my work place with 1 to 2 bars. Outside with 3 to 4 I was hitting around 11 to 14mb down and up to 2mb up.

Update: Standing on the corner of 8th and Market this morning I am not getting a 4G signal at all.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by f1nzup View Post
    Update: Standing on the corner of 8th and Market this morning I am not getting a 4G signal at all.

If you go to clear.com and search for the zip 40210 , you will see there is 4g service. I never made it down towards the east end of downtown so I am not sure if the signal stretches out that far or not. I do know that you can go down towards 10th and Broadway and I will receiving 4 bars there so I am not sure why you were not receiving any 4g service.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Here is the screen shot from Clear showing the 4g service.. This is not showing the entire area that it is actually covering but more or less showing that the service is here..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4g In Louisville Ky-4g.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by reconboy View Post
    If you go to clear.com and search for the zip 40210 , you will see there is 4g service. I never made it down towards the east end of downtown so I am not sure if the signal stretches out that far or not. I do know that you can go down towards 10th and Broadway and I will receiving 4 bars there so I am not sure why you were not receiving any 4g service.
    Makes me wonder if my 4G is not working, because I didn't get 4G in Nashville either. I'm going to have to look into this. And thanks for the info!

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

Default Re: 4g In Louisville Ky

I don't think we will ever have 4g out in Oldham County. I feel like reconboy, if we had 4G coverage it would take the sting out of the bite for the price we are paying. It has been almost 2 years now that I have been hearing how great 4G is but out here I won't ever see it.

Default Re: 4g In Louisville Ky

Quote Originally Posted by Joescan View Post
    The best I have ever got while standing 10 feet away from a 4g tower was 10mbp down and 1.5up.
    I get 14 down here in Houston.