GVoice/Sprnt Integration. Why should I care?

r2dtoo

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone. I am trying to figure out why I should care about the GVoice/Sprint integration. I do currently have a Google Voice number, and I do use Google's voicemail instead of Sprint.

I do like the idea of handing out my cell number, and having the ability to have it ring on any phone that I choose. If I port my Sprint # to Google, what will I gain that I already don't have without porting, and what (if anything) will I lose? My biggest concern is MMS. I know that GVoice does not support MMS, so will I lose that all together?

Thanks for your help.

robkurzd

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
One thing I am excited for is being able to text on my phone through my browser. Especially with the Google Voice extension for Google Chrome. I can leave my phone in my pocket and answer people faster. Considering I don't have a keyboard on my Evo, this is awesome. Also, sometimes at work I am in areas with zero signal. Being able to go online and text would be perfect.

I'm curious when setting up messages to go to stock messaging apps, if the messages are coming through on the data end or not. This would be a huge factor when data towers are not available. For example, when I go to Canada I am able to text message without having data on. If texts come through data, I would not be able to do this.

Anyone know?

drjb74

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
According to the article on the main AC page, MMS will be sent through your regular text messaging, instead of GV. As someone who carries two phones (one personal, one work), this is great for me because i can leave one phone at home, and still get all my calls. I never used the GV number, but wanted the call forwarding and transcribed voicemail.

I also like the fact that I can turn off the cellular radio, and use wifi to receive calls, texts, voicemail, etc., since my cell number is now my GV number.

I think some poeple will like it, but i think others like yourself will not see any real benefit to the change. Either way, for me it is a good thing.

robkurzd

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm fairly certain that you cannot use wifi to receive calls. The texts and voicemail will work but that doesn't turn your phone into a VOIP phone. That is not an advertised feature and I saw lot of people mentioning this in the comments but I do not believe this works. It may work through Google Talk on the computer but not through your Android phone to the best of my knowledge.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
There needs to be a disable of text through voice because it does go through data. Its good when I'm at home because I have terrible service in the house but like said when data is an issue.

Also, they need to do wifi calling to make it God.

I personally love it. Needs some tweaking but its great right now and can only get better.

So I couldnt figure this out. The Calls will go through land line minutes? And free nights and weekends applies?

drjb74

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I believe that your minutes are unaffected to your Sprint number/GV number. People call that, and you answer, and you use minutes like normal. The way you save minutes is by having people call your GV number, and it forwards it to your cell phone, that way someone does not call your cell number directly. I think you have to then set up your GV number as one of the special numbers with unlimited calling to that number (whatever your carrier calls that feature).

I think this is how it works. Although, to be very honest, I find the whole thing somewhat confusing, but I just know that it works.

Jinded

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Sorry this isn't completely on topic, but does anyone know how to continue receiving texts through my regular texting app (handcent), but still receive notifications for voice mails? It seems right now I can either have double notifications, only handcent but no voice mails, or only google voice notifications.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I am going to have to get on this Google Voice feature myself. I just need to do some more research. I would like to consolidate my phones down to only 1 instead of 2.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I also like the fact that I can turn off the cellular radio, and use wifi to receive calls, texts, voicemail, etc., since my cell number is now my GV number.

If you turn off your cell radio you won't receive calls. GV does NOT use wifi for voice.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't GV use data and internet? I'd imagine the quality of the call wouldn't nearly be as good as voice.

Plus, GV is not really that good from my perspective.

LancerzRalliart

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Well this Sprint and Google voice integration gets 2 thumbs up from me. At first I was like why should I care also but now that I have it set up...I love it. My apartment complex is in a almost dead zone so I get 1 maybe 2 bars if im lucky. Now I can make and receive calls through my pc as if im using my phone now which is awesome. And the fact that you can send and receive text messages through the website is even more awesome. All the calls have been crystal clear.

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't GV use data and internet? I'd imagine the quality of the call wouldn't nearly be as good as voice.

Plus, GV is not really that good from my perspective.

No. It doesn't use data at all. It is not. VoIP unless you're doing it from your computer. But on your phonebit is still just a cell phone call so the call quality will not change.

God I hate these signatures

ekz13

May 31, 2010
Visit site
this is probably already known, but you can send a "text" to a phone from your email (I use this at work where I have to keep my phone off (vault)) from your email you can "email" the person and it will come through as a text using the addy's below.

Alltel
[10-digit phone number]@message.alltel.com
Example: 1234567890@message.alltel.com

AT&T (formerly Cingular)
[10-digit phone number]@txt.att.net
[10-digit phone number]@mms.att.net (MMS)
[10-digit phone number]@cingularme.com
Example: 1234567890@txt.att.net

Nextel (now Sprint Nextel)
[10-digit telephone number]@messaging.nextel.com
Example: 1234567890@messaging.nextel.com

Sprint PCS (now Sprint Nextel)
[10-digit phone number]@messaging.sprintpcs.com
[10-digit phone number]@pm.sprint.com (MMS)
Example: 1234567890@messaging.sprintpcs.com

T-Mobile
[10-digit phone number]@tmomail.net
Example: 1234567890@tmomail.net

US Cellular
[10-digit phone number]email.uscc.net (SMS)
[10-digit phone number]@mms.uscc.net (MMS)
Example: 1234567890@email.uscc.net

Verizon
[10-digit phone number]@vtext.com
[10-digit phone number]@vzwpix.com (MMS)
Example: 1234567890@vtext.com

Virgin Mobile USA
[10-digit phone number]@vmobl.com
Example: 1234567890@vmobl.com

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Well I for one am not happy about this merger. I liked having to seperate numbers I used one for business and the other for friends and family. So if I'm understanding this correctly in 3 months my google voice number will no longer work? Also today all of sudden when someone sends a text to my google number it is also showing up in my handcent box!

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Well I for one am not happy about this merger. I liked having to seperate numbers I used one for business and the other for friends and family. So if I'm understanding this correctly in 3 months my google voice number will no longer work? Also today all of sudden when someone sends a text to my google number it is also showing up in my handcent box!

Well, it's not for everyone. The point of the integration is to be able to use ONE number, not two. Of course no one is forcing anyone to do the integration. If you don't like the results, just undo it and steer clear.

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Well, it's not for everyone. The point of the integration is to be able to use ONE number, not two. Of course no one is forcing anyone to do the integration. If you don't like the results, just undo it and steer clear.

Yeah I understand that but that doesn't stop me from losing my Google number.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I understand that but that doesn't stop me from losing my Google number.

What makes you think that? You lose your Google number only IF you leave your account integrated. Just undo the integration and go back to separate accounts. You have three months to make up your mind.

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I did undo it, but for some reason my text messages are still going into my handcent app as well as google voice?