Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Droid Monster

Global Posts
    748 Global Posts

Default Sprint reducing coverage

Not good, not good. I was beginning to wonder why my signal strength was poor despite supposedly having strong coverage in an area where it's normal. And this explains why the Android Market and other apps that use data have been acting very slow.

This is ridiculous. If I'd known this would happen, I would've never gotten a new phone and waited for my contract to end. But iirc, this is a breach of contract.

P.S. Miss Jenell don't hammer me about switching as I've already explained that.
    Live long, Rock hard
    Best in the World
    Thanked by:
    werkx 

Thanks for sharing. I was wondering why my TeleNav GPS totally lost signal when I was traveling to Lansing, MI. I needed it to find a business that I had never been to. Luckily, I also have an in-dash GPS unit(I also carried my portable Garmin, just in case) which guided me to the location. Lansing should of had full coverage. I did try rebooting phone but signal strength was low to non-existent. And, my coverage at home keeps roaming..which is a good thing as I get 2-2.5mbps downloads from roaming on Verizon. I average from 0 mbps to usually around 100kbps....if I am lucky...300-400. They just had a huge coverage on our local news channel...I think it is time to forward this information...

Global Posts
    359 Global Posts

Holy smokes!!! That's sneaky. There goes the argument that Sprint has the best price for the coverage. So now they have decided to bring down the service to match their price. Why should anybody still want to sign up with Sprint now? I'd like to hear what Sprint has to say about this...most likely nothing in hope that nobody notice.

Read the last post in that thread now and some of this might not necesarily be Sprint's own doing but unfortunately in part results of acquisitions and divesting of towers, and how that affected roaming agreements, retooling of towers in some areas to GSM.....
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

I think Sprint really needs to jump of the WiMax boat and switch to LTE....

Well... I live in the New York City area - and my 3G/4G connection is doing fine here.

I guess I'll just wait to see what effect this will have on my network connection.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    Droid Monster

Global Posts
    748 Global Posts

Whether it's there doing or not, they have to do something because people are pissed now that the coverage area has decreased dramatically despite Sprint saying it has very good coverage.

Generally my signal is good, but lately I have been noticing it waning from time to time when it shouldn't even be that weak.
    Live long, Rock hard
    Best in the World

Global Posts
    359 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rushrl View Post
    Well... I live in the New York City area - and my 3G/4G connection is doing fine here.

I guess I'll just wait to see what effect this will have on my network connection.
    if you live in a major metro area, i'm sure you won't see any changes, but if you take a drive outside of it you will. remember, data roaming is NOT unlimited.

This is interesting.

Why isn't this being covered more in the forums or put on the front pages. I think this is very important and people need to be made aware of what is going on and get an official explanation from Sprint what their plans are and how they are going to be handling people paying for services which they will no longer be able to receive. It seems like this is being pushed under the rug. This is like breaking news to me.....but.....??

According to that I am not supposed to have coverage. But I do. So I don't know what is actually going on.

All i got to say is wow. It is not affecting me in my area, so i am fine. But still. Not good.
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet

If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!

ROM
    EOS3 nightly 61 (4.1.2)

I'm glad I'm jump on today and found this thread. Holy cow, the data speed problems I've been having the last couple of weeks I thought were because of something I did....lol. Come to find out uh? Wow, looks like I have an interesting phone call to make tomorrow. Oh yeah, btw. I tweeted @sprintcare earlier asking them about the PRL update that went out and weirdly they never got back to me....uhmm?
    If by some chance I helped you out, please be so kind as to hit that thanks button. You'd be a lot cooler if you did.

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    ROM
    Miui/Pete's Kernel

Hmm thanks so much for posting that link. I've noticed a dramatic drop in coverage for my phone and just thought maybe a tower was down or something. I might consider leaving sprint now, verizon may cost more, but at least I've have coverage and 3g data, not 1xrtt.

ROM
    EOS3 nightly 61 (4.1.2)

I'm with you, thought a tower was messed up.At least that what the Sprite stores around me kept telling me. They are blaming it in a storm we had back in early March if I'm not mistaken.You know...big red isn't looking so bad.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    If by some chance I helped you out, please be so kind as to hit that thanks button. You'd be a lot cooler if you did.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    Droid Monster

Global Posts
    748 Global Posts

Yeah, it's on their official site as well. This isn't looking good. While I've complained about Sprint before, I generally never had a problem with coverage unless I was in a rural area but even then I always managed a bar or two.

But like I said before, lately I noticed my phone starting to be slow with my updates on the Android market. I go and check and the same ones I updated days ago were still updating.

Guess we'll see how it pans out in the end. Though AT&T or Verizon does look good right now.
    Live long, Rock hard
    Best in the World

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz View Post
    Yeah, it's on their official site as well. This isn't looking good. While I've complained about Sprint before, I generally never had a problem with coverage unless I was in a rural area but even then I always managed a bar or two.

But like I said before, lately I noticed my phone starting to be slow with my updates on the Android market. I go and check and the same ones I updated days ago were still updating.Guess we'll see how it pans out in the end. Though AT&T or Verizon does look good right now.
    That's a market issue not a network issue. You need to stop the update and then try again to update them. That happens on all android phones.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    Droid Monster

Global Posts
    748 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MissJennell View Post
    That's a market issue not a network issue. You need to stop the update and then try again to update them. That happens on all android phones.
    Umm, thanks? But I've also noticed my network going down at times along with my signal. So it has been synonymous before.
    Live long, Rock hard
    Best in the World

Umm, thanks? But I've also noticed my network going down at times along with my signal. So it has been synonymous before.
    I am not talking about signal strength or anything. Just trying to help with your market issue. It is an issue in the market on all android phones and not just ones on the Sprint network. So was letting you know how to fix it.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    Droid Monster

Global Posts
    748 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MissJennell View Post
    I am not talking about signal strength or anything. Just trying to help with your market issue. It is an issue in the market on all android phones and not just ones on the Sprint network. So was letting you know how to fix it.
    Don't get so defensive. I'm glad you told me otherwise I thought my phone was going crazy. But I am saying that I've also been noticing problems with my data signal when it comes to browsing the net and I've tested it on all 3 browsers on my phone.

I'm not trying to say you were wrong or anything.
    Live long, Rock hard
    Best in the World

Yeah the market is notoriously flaky. Clearing the Android Market app data & updates (not your other app updates...just the market itself) usually gets it working again.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    EOS3 nightly 61 (4.1.2)

This is probably why they sent that weird PRL update the other day.

23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  
    Droid Monster

Global Posts
    748 Global Posts

PRL update? About the coverage?

And yes, I know Android Market is flaky. But that doesn't explain why my browsers have been slow to pull up my sites when they never used to do that.
    Live long, Rock hard
    Best in the World

ROM
    EOS3 nightly 61 (4.1.2)

PRL update? About the coverage?

And yes, I know Android Market is flaky. But that doesn't explain why my browsers have been slow to pull up my sites when they never used to do that.
    If the PRL told your phone not to talk to certain towers in your area anymore, then yes your browsers would go slow. Your PRL determines everything about your signal. Only thing it doesn't mess with is your WiFi signal.

25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  
    Droid Monster

Global Posts
    748 Global Posts

I never really use wifi since my signal strength was perfect. Well it used to be but I'm not so sure now.
    Live long, Rock hard
    Best in the World
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast