Sprint to being VoLTE trials

JossMan411

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
As reported on r/Sprint on Reddit, Sprint is primed to begin VoLTE trials on the LG Stylo 3 and Samsung Galaxy J7 Perx. Sprint is calling their VoLTE "Calling Plus."

cell adviser

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
In my opinion this is good and bad. What if there's a lot of people in the area and LTE is at a standstill can't make or receive calls. Also in order to keep enough capacity for the phone calls to go over there going to have to put the data abusing unlimited data users in check. Also I have a weird question. Why in the world is it voice over LTE why is it not just voice over IP because the amount of data a voice call uses on a date & Network could be accomplished on 3G. It's not like it uses that much data or am I wrong. This will be a huge step up in terms of sound quality which is what I'm most excited about. However we will probably experience more dropped calls also I wonder what all the fuss is about voice over LTE as long as it makes phone calls I don't really care. However isn't it cheaper for the network to have all calls go over LTE so they only have to worry about LTE network and don't have to worry about that CDMA network at all for calling. So instead of purchasing two kinds of network they only have to purchase one is that the correct thinking so was it cheaper for the carriers in the long run to the voice over LTE. What about something like AT&T that can drive down to HSPA+ why does that make the call drop that sounds so stupid there's plenty of data to be used no reason to drop it don't wreck don't keep it on just LTE. I hit sometimes to megabyte per second on Sprint 3G which is way more than enough to keep a phone call going so what in the world

cell adviser

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
When do I can't try this on my Galaxy Note 4 so glad they're getting better sound quality now though. Phone calls just sound like garbage especially to Verizon customers. When I Rock Hall a business though it sounds great but a lot of other people unless they have Sprint but call sound pretty crappy however while they might sound crappy there a heck of a lot better than Verizon calls before they got voice over LTE

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion this is good and bad. What if there's a lot of people in the area and LTE is at a standstill can't make or receive calls. Also in order to keep enough capacity for the phone calls to go over there going to have to put the data abusing unlimited data users in check. Also I have a weird question. Why in the world is it voice over LTE why is it not just voice over IP because the amount of data a voice call uses on a date & Network could be accomplished on 3G. It's not like it uses that much data or am I wrong. This will be a huge step up in terms of sound quality which is what I'm most excited about. However we will probably experience more dropped calls also I wonder what all the fuss is about voice over LTE as long as it makes phone calls I don't really care. However isn't it cheaper for the network to have all calls go over LTE so they only have to worry about LTE network and don't have to worry about that CDMA network at all for calling. So instead of purchasing two kinds of network they only have to purchase one is that the correct thinking so was it cheaper for the carriers in the long run to the voice over LTE. What about something like AT&T that can drive down to HSPA+ why does that make the call drop that sounds so stupid there's plenty of data to be used no reason to drop it don't wreck don't keep it on just LTE. I hit sometimes to megabyte per second on Sprint 3G which is way more than enough to keep a phone call going so what in the world
The LTE network prioritizes calls so volte won't be an issue if they do it right. The other 3 do them just fine without issue.

Also the old HSPA and 3g networks will be shutdown in a few years. Most of the others are trying to by 2019 / 2020 to reframe the spectrum for LTE.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
When do I can't try this on my Galaxy Note 4 so glad they're getting better sound quality now though. Phone calls just sound like garbage especially to Verizon customers. When I Rock Hall a business though it sounds great but a lot of other people unless they have Sprint but call sound pretty crappy however while they might sound crappy there a heck of a lot better than Verizon calls before they got voice over LTE

Weird.. must be Sprint in your area. I call AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile customers on Verizon and have no issues using VoLTE. When I was on T-Mobile I could call AT&T, Sprint, or Verizon customers without issues as well using VoLTE.

cell adviser

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
Make sense I knew about the 3G shut down but not the HSPA+ but makes sense I guess. Anyway I wonder if it's cheaper and I bet it is for a company to have only LTE sites meaning that when a new tower goes up or whatever it only has to be for LTE not like in Sprint's case LTE and then for the calling signal so I bet Ashley having voice over LTE is cheaper and it sounds a hell of a lot better. CDMA calls and specially pretty much sound like garbage would be nice if they send it to all phones and we could choose whether to use it or not in my area it would be perfect Sprint actually has really good LTE here in Chapel Hill North Carolina and most places that I go. Strangely enough Raleigh North Carolina which is a much bigger city than Chapel Hill could use some work it seems that their network is only decent there isn't a lot of one bar and no service for a second areas. Would be nice to try it and get better call Quality

cell adviser

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
Yeah what's the difference. What is voice over LTE this Advanced calling is also voice over LTE. Seems like you just want to complain about Sprint as most people love to do. They're being trash talk all the time and is not warranted.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah what's the difference. What is voice over LTE this Advanced calling is also voice over LTE. Seems like you just want to complain about Sprint as most people love to do. They're being trash talk all the time and is not warranted.

Actually it isn't voice over LTE. Did you read the FAQ he linked? Sprint themselves literally just said it isn't VoLTE .. so how are we trash talking by talking facts? Come on .. be reasonable now.

Is Calling PLUS the same as VoLTE (Voice over LTE)?

No, the current Calling PLUS solution provides VoIP capabilities using the Sprint LTE network. Sprint is on a path toward having an all IP-based network capable of supporting VoLTE. We have not announced a timeframe for commercial deployment of VoLTE. Today we offer HD Voice on a very efficient CDMA1x platform and our voice network is ranked #2 nationwide by independent mobile analytics firm RootMetrics. We will transition customers to VoLTE when we are confident we can match the great voice experience provided today.

tanderson164

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone actually have either of these phones to give any feedback. It just seems liked Calling plus was launched and either Sprint has held it off long enough that everyone who cares about simultaneous voice and data have left for an up to date carrier or just absolutely no one has these 2 phones. Which ever it is no one can give any details on the Calling Plus service they now offer

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Still the same thing.

It really isn't. Again from their own words...

Sprint is on a path toward having an all IP-based network capable of supporting VoLTE.

I get you like Sprint and all but just blindly saying things are the same or will work for everyone isn't always true. I get you aren't a huge fan of the "new technologies" or even using mobile data (from your other posts) but you're definitely in the minority.

In this case Sprint themselves literally said it isn't VoLTE and they're still working towards it. Do I agree it is a step in the right direction? Yes. They still have to keep improving though since they're kind of playing "catch up" when it comes to some of these things.

cell adviser

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
I understand I'm different. But how exactly important his voice over LTE anyway who really cares as long as it gets you voice and data at the same time who cares what it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae