DNicolasL

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I just got it installed now. It definitely works. Will post back after a few hours.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G

Last edited:

DNicolasL

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
So far the speed improvement is real. I've went from around .4 down .2/.3 up to 1.5 down .6 up average. Maybe it's Cyanogenmods fault but there are areas in a 2600 sq house that I get 2 of 4 bars (so much for the 5000 sq foot)

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
So far the speed improvement is real. I've went from around .4 down .2/.3 up to 1.5 down .6 up average. Maybe it's Cyanogenmods fault but there are areas in a 2600 sq house that I get 2 of 4 bars (so much for the 5000 sq foot)

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G

I wish it was something that was on your phone that would help it. I understand why it isn't that way. Still wish it was. It would actually help my issue then.

Glad it is helping you. You will have to keep us updated and let us know if it changes in anyway.

DNicolasL

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Here's what I noticed. The clock is messed up. Network time puts me in Mountain Time even though I'm almost on the central/eastern border. It's no big deal on my phone but my mom has a dumbphone and I can't adjust the time. Sprint customer service has been just plain awful in resolving this issue.

Edit: Anybody know a cheap phone that won't add premium data to my bill that has manual time controls. I can't just get one from Sprint because the line is not upgrade eligible. All the Sanyo phones are exclusively network time and that's not going to work for me.
Sent from my HTC EVO 4G

Last edited:

flipdippy

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
It has a GPS so that you can't use it outside of Sprint's coverage area. I suppose it should work if where you are traveling is supposed to have Sprint coverage, but it is intended for use in your home or work location.

AIRAVE by Sprint Support

The AIRAVE or the AIRVANA will only work at the location tied to your address in your Sprint account. You can not take the AIRAVE or AIRVANA with you to another area for travel purposes, period. This is the reason why it requires a GPS in the first place - as a measure to make sure you aren't hauling it around using it to get free service wherever you go.

Anecdotally, I have an AIRVANA because the CDMA signals from VZW/Sprint in my area are awful and Sprint sent me one for free and I do not pay for the AIRVANA service.

Unfortunately, not only do I get lousy CDMA signals but I have poor GPS reception in the area, effectively rendering the AIRVANA useless since it won't work without a GPS lock.

Thus, it sits in the box Sprint sent it in my closet, where I use it for the free extra upgrade every 2 years.

Bye bye Blackberry

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I called up and complained about my signal to Sprint today and retention saw I was in a bad coverage area, that a local tower is down, and had numerous "failed calls". So the CSR put me through to get the new AIRAVE with 3G. No cost up front or monthly and no activation fee. If you have bad signal at home call Sprint and they will take care of you.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G

Thanks for this tidbit of information. I've been having horrible connection problems and called and they are sending one out for me. Hope this will finally resolve my connection problems.

uly_g

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The AIRAVE or the AIRVANA will only work at the location tied to your address in your Sprint account. You can not take the AIRAVE or AIRVANA with you to another area for travel purposes, period. This is the reason why it requires a GPS in the first place - as a measure to make sure you aren't hauling it around using it to get free service wherever you go.

Anecdotally, I have an AIRVANA because the CDMA signals from VZW/Sprint in my area are awful and Sprint sent me one for free and I do not pay for the AIRVANA service.

Unfortunately, not only do I get lousy CDMA signals but I have poor GPS reception in the area, effectively rendering the AIRVANA useless since it won't work without a GPS lock.

Thus, it sits in the box Sprint sent it in my closet, where I use it for the free extra upgrade every 2 years.

Wait, so forgive me if this has been answered before but you can use the upgrade that is tied to the airave to get a phone?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
He did what and it worked how?

If you call Sprint and tell them you are thinking about canceling service due to poor reception in your home, they sometimes send you a free AIRAVE and can even give you free service for it (depending on the rep you talk to). At least, that's what they did for me a year or so ago.

uly_g

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Well I went ahead and after talking to account services, I was able to use the upgrade tied to my airave to get the nexus s 4g and keep my primary line upgrade which I will be using for the EVO 3D. But just know that if you decide to do this, you need to speak to the right account services rep or else you will be screwed! The first one I talked to said it would be fine, I would just have a two year contract tied to my airave account. After picking it up at the store and getting it activated, I saw that the retail associate put my old evo onto my airave account, so I lost my airave and the free credit. I called sprint, got transferred to account services, and then the guy tells me they aren't supposed to upgrade based on the airave number and that I needed to return my nexus if I wanted my airave credit back. FINALLY I got a hold of the first person I spoke with and she went ahead and apologized and fixed everything. So it did work but it was a huge hassle so just make sure you have some time on your hands before you decide to do this!

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
...Can this carrier do ANYTHING right? I mean why even bother trying to get an Airwave when Sprint can't get a competent person the phone and me with my temper at them for the piss poor service I've been getting.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon