• 1 Post By wyoungmn
  • 1 Post By firecaptain
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    ROM
    Evo = CM7 / Xoom = Stock

Default Sprint 4G in Memphis, TN

Just turned on my 4G today to see if we were any closer to having service, and too my surprise, got a connection. Haven't been able to run a speed test on it yet because I'm only getting an iffy connection where I am (Poplar/Whitestation area). Going to try to walk around in a bit and see if I can get a better signal.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    ROM
    Evo = CM7 / Xoom = Stock

Update, eventually found a 2 bar signal. Got 4840kbps down and 959kbps up.

Default New area 4g

Turn on my 4g and got 1 to 2 bars. Area memphis/bartlett. Reese rd @ appling. Did speed test. Ping 239ms. Upload 5412kbps. Download 947kbps

3 bars 4g perkins @ knight arnold. Download 6300 kbps. Upload 961 kbps

Nice speeds for sure,now all we need is better coverage.

Airport/fedex area, still no 4g. Grrrrrrrr.

Cyphered out on my EVO, for your reading pleasure.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Download the app Sensorly from the market and start mapping out the 4G coverage there. According to clear.com/coverage, it looks like there are 3 towers in the Memphis area.

I even downloaded the "Got Clear?" app and it says I am in 4G area, but my phone will not pick up the 4G signal.

I hit the SCAN FOR 4G button and it scans but does not connect.

My phone is running 2.2 and is rooted, but I'm not running any special ROMs.

Quote Originally Posted by bigzeto View Post
    Download the app Sensorly from the market and start mapping out the 4G coverage there. According to clear.com/coverage, it looks like there are 3 towers in the Memphis area.
    Last edited by firecaptain; 06-14-2011 at 12:17 PM.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by firecaptain View Post
    I even downloaded the "Got Clear?" app and it says I am in 4G area, but my phone will not pick up the 4G signal.

I hit the SCAN FOR 4G button and it scans but does not connect.

My phone is running 2.2 and is rooted, but I'm not running and special ROMs.
    The coverage maps on clear.com are meant for dedicated 4G modems, which have a much better antenna than what is in our phones. But you should still be able to pick up some coverage. I have found both of the Wimax towers in Baton Rouge, and one of them has very good range while the other one does not.

I caught some on the way to work today near the poplar/240 area. Signal was weak and said sprint was the provider. Then I quickly drive out of coverage.

Guess I'll have to start war driving for 4g... Haha

Cyphered out on my EVO, for your reading pleasure.
    NMherron likes this.

I got 2-4 bars of 4G coverage on 240 between sycamore view and germantown rd exits. Strongest around the whitten rd and appling rd exits. I also got 3 bars in downtown/midtown area around union @ s. pauline and on 240/55 around the union exit..
    NMherron likes this.

Looks like there are three Sprint/Clearwire 4G towers up and running in Memphis now. Slowly, but surely. Emphasis on slow!

I had on and off 4G while eating at the Lenny's next to Brother Industries.
    (stage rd/appling/brother blvd)

I ran a speedtest and got almost 6MB down and just shy of 1MB up.
    Signal was on/off perhaps I was on the fringe or maybe because I was inside Lenny's.
    NMherron likes this.

Default Re: Sprint 4G in Memphis, TN

How is 4g now in Memphis?