Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    298 Global Posts

Default 4G in Detroit!

Sort of. It looks like Clear has put up a few towers around Detroit and some neighboring cities, but it isn't anything to get all worked up about. Basically if you are at the corner of 8 Mile and Mound (why would you really want to be) it will connect, but be very poor. I did a speed test while I was stuck at the light and it topped at 1.77 Mbps on the download. Also parts of Warren will show the same speeds as well as Garden City, Southfield and near the Wayne State University campus. From my experiences it wasn't very great and my battery took a hit from the 4G antenna being on and constantly searching for a signal until it picked one up, but at least it is something. Here's to hoping more towers start to pop up and the coverage grows larger and stronger.

Sensorly.com - Detroit Sprint 4G Coverage Map

Global Posts
    1,430 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

ARGH!!!! Sprint is FINALLY rolling out 4G in the area and my home, work and girlfriend's place are all outside the coverage areas so far! Work is closest to Nirvana.
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)

Im in Clinton Twp and i was able to connect to 4G but signal was very weak

My Home wifi network is much better and faster

Plus the 4G would probably put a killing on my battery

Global Posts
    1,430 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The Sensorly map bears no relation to reality. Near Dearborn City Hall, there was no connection. Heading east on I-94, it connected around Warren and thru the Wayne State area, but dumped past I-75. Later, while in downtown Detroit, behind the Fillmore, it couldn't connect either. Right now, I'm in a bar next door to the vacant lot that was Tiger Stadium and in one out of four scans, it attempted to connect, but dumped. I don't think they're running full power and/or 24/7 on these detected areas. If you look on Sprint's coverage page, they don't have Detroit listed yet.
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)

I work around the WSU area, there's actually been 4G there for a few months at least. Some days it's rather good, other days I lose my connection after a few moments. Average speed for me is 569 kb/s down and 87 kb/s up. Plenty good enough to watch youtube on my lunch break, or download the latest cyanogen nightly. ;-)

I have not experienced any 4G outside of that area, though.

It appears that 4G is rolling out pretty steadily in Detroit, especially in urban Detroit. If you look at the newest maps on Clear's website, you can get a good idea of current coverage. Clear's website is more accurate and up to date than Sprints for finding 4G coverage. There is also an app you can download from the Android Marketplace called GOT CLEAR? You can view coverage maps directly on your Android device.

On thing to note about Sprint/Clear 4G is that its on the 2.5 GHz spectrum. This high frequency does not like to penetrate masonry, stucco and adobe very well. It does much better in wood frame structures, out in the open and in the car. This may account for some of the poor reception noted, like in the bar.