Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock for now

Default 4G in Charleston, WV

Any one in the area or surrounding areas of Charleston noticing any 4G speeds that is decent? I'm sure it is still in testing as it hasn't been announced by Sprint.

From the few times I been able to test the speed (which hasn't been much) 3G has been faster.

Just seeing if anyone has notice a difference yet.

im near huntington wv and ive never seen 4G anywhere lol
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    Stock for now

I haven't been in Huntington for like a year now so I can't say anything about that area other than Clear shows coverage in Huntington. As for this area it is here but spotty and slow.

Clear?

Sent from my rooted cyanogen EVO
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    Stock for now

Clear is the company putting out Sprint's WiMax

Oic

Sent from my rooted cyanogen EVO
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

ROM
    Stock for now

Clear has an app in the market called Got Clear?. Only real complaint about the about is it doesn't close. You have to force close it.

It shows the areas that has it but it doesn't let you know how well of a signal you will see. Here in the Charleston, Institute, St, Albans, Nitro,and South Charleston area it is weak and slow (some has full bars but is STILLL slow) from the few times I have tried to look for it. This is why I think they are still testing it out. Hopefully they get it up and running by the end of this year.

I had that issue on one of the towers here in Las Vegas, New Mexico. Even with full bars 4G signal on my Evo, I could only get between 1.2mb and 1.5mb. Whereas I have been experiencing between 4mb and 9mb on my speed tests in Santa Fe and Albuquerque.

Since Las Vegas (NM) only has about 10,000 people, I pretty much ruled out that there were a lot of users. Thus, I am hypothesizing the issue is related to backhaul. If the tower's backhaul internet connection is limited to 1.5mb, then no matter how fast the throughput from the tower to my WiMax device is, the internet speed would be limited to 1.5mb.

My guess would be that this is the same issue you are experiencing in West Virginia.

I wonder if it is faster in Huntington, or the backhaul issue is just related to the Charleston Area? Also, did you notice in my posts last week that Clear added service on a tower between Hurricane and Teays Valley?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

ROM
    Stock for now

I haven't been to Huntington to try it out. I was near it a couple weekends ago but the wife wasn't having it about going to Huntington so I could try the 4G. lol

I did see the post about it being in the Teays Valley/Hurricane area. I was in the area but forgot all about it. I just looked at Clear's app and I was in a 4G section. So I missed out to see how well it was. I'll be there again probably soon as my aunt is always having a cookout.

When I go to the wife's work I think there is a tower (I could be wrong but it does look like the ones I seen pics of) on an office building but it is only 4 stories. Its near the river and the interstate goes right past it. The interstate is the same height of the building through the downtown area of Charleston. So when I go on the other side of the interstate across from that building it drops to one bar.

So could that be the tower isn't very strong or because of the frequency being high (that you talked about in another thread) can't get past all that concrete?

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeCrawler View Post
    I haven't been to Huntington to try it out. I was near it a couple weekends ago but the wife wasn't having it about going to Huntington so I could try the 4G. lol

I did see the post about it being in the Teays Valley/Hurricane area. I was in the area but forgot all about it. I just looked at Clear's app and I was in a 4G section. So I missed out to see how well it was. I'll be there again probably soon as my aunt is always having a cookout.

When I go to the wife's work I think there is a tower (I could be wrong but it does look like the ones I seen pics of) on an office building but it is only 4 stories. Its near the river and the interstate goes right past it. The interstate is the same height of the building through the downtown area of Charleston. So when I go on the other side of the interstate across from that building it drops to one bar.

So could that be the tower isn't very strong or because of the frequency being high (that you talked about in another thread) can't get past all that concrete?
    Sounds like you try to victimize your wife in a similar fashion that I do!

2.5Ghz signal cannot penetrate concrete at all. However, if they are approximately the same height, part of the signal is skimming across the top of the concrete barriers on that freeway.

If that is the Charleston tower, what you would likely observe in this condition is...

If you were in the lane closest to the tower you would probably get full bars because you would be close enough to the edge to get a line of sight to the tower. But if you were on the opposite side of the freeway in the farthest lane away, you would either get one bar or zero bars. This would be because in the plane between you and the tower would involve going through concrete. The concrete would block a direct connection to the signal. But being that close to the tower, you would likely get just enough signal refraction to get a limited signal. Usable, but probably speed challenged.

If you get a good signal on the opposite side of the freeway, most likely that is not the Clear tower. The Clear tower would have to be in a higher location.

2.5Ghz will penetrate wood structure buildings and foliage decently up to 1 mile, but this ability drops offs significantly after 1 mile. Concrete is a no go for 2.5 Ghz. Even 700-900mhz will not penetrate concrete, but the signal bounces and refracts much better giving some shadow coverages. 2.5Ghz does not bounce/refract at all unless you are pretty darn close to the signal. And where it does it, it does not do it well. Largely because the transmitter on your device transmitting back to the tower is much weaker and the tower will not receive the refracted signal back.

In places with dense foliage, the transmitter needs to be higher to get more coverage. Dense foliage can really impact a 2.5Ghz signal when mounted low and is trying to broadcast through trees instead of over them.

2.5Ghz can be a real challenge for large area deployment. Can create lots of shadow pockets with little to no coverage. However, 2.5Ghz is great at high quality signals for data. But because of it's limitations, it's better for urban areas.

An ideal world is a dual band Wi-Max (or LTE for that matter) broadcasted at 2.5Ghz and 800mhz. This way you can get far out coverage from the tower and high quality dense channelization near the tower. But that kind of spectrum holding is big bucks!!! Maybe Sprint will do that with the Nextel iDEN network?

Default Re: 4G in Charleston, WV

I know this is an old thread, but a little time between messages can add to some clarity. I live in the Charleston area and I only get 4g for about a mile, then its gone. The speeds I get are very slow. Also I do not receive any 4g coverage from Huntington to Charleston.