Can Sprint's 4G be considered a tech flop for 2011's list?

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
for those who don't know, there was an article about 2010 flops in technology, but I forgot who did it. I remember seeing Apple TV, Google Buzz, Kin, Nexus One, and a few others on there.

Considering that Sprint is still slumbering in some areas with 4G due to them using Clearwire, who's in deep financial trouble, could Sprint's 4G pitch be considered a flop for 2011? I'm asking because I've seen LTE from Verizon spreading really quickly in areas I didn't think it'd be in.

What are your thoughts?

Btw, not bashing Sprint. Just their 4G stance.

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it is a success, but I'm not sure it goes so far as to be a flop. It does work, and I have liked it when I got a good signal while traveling (and now there is even 4G service in some parts of my town, though Sprint doesn't claim 4G here yet).

Downsides are the slow buildup of the network, poor building penetration, and the fact that even when I'm in a service area and able to get it, I very seldom get anything but a weak signal. But when you get a signal, even a weak signal works very well compared to 3G! So not a flop, in my opinion, but definitely a disappointment.

homescrub

Mar 1, 2011
twitter.com
I would say that their 4G is more similar to HSPA+ signals from AT&T. Just advanced 3G.

Now, when carriers can get on the ball like Verizon and have their handsets push out 16mbps or more, then well...you can concider whatever G you want from there, lol.

FreudSlipped

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
So, I went and looked up some of the tech flop articles. Interestingly, Google was a top flop vote getter. The Nexus One, Buzz, Google TV. You get the idea.Items that just didn't catch on. On every list, of course, is the Microsoft Kin. Now THAT was a flop.

Sprint's foray into 4G with WiMax is the Sony Betamax of 2011. Sony recovered. So will Sprint.

rldev

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Actually it is nothing like the Betamax. The Betamax was a better product. Sprint's 4G in it's current state is terrible at best. TMobile's fake 4G trounces it and is available all over. I'm using Verizon and Tmobile right now. While Vz Lte is certainly better, it has nowhere near the coverage of Tmobile's fake 4G. I have no problems pulling 1.5 - 10 Mbps anywhere I have been. I have been taking both phones and running tests all the time. Good enough for me considering Sprint and Verizon 3G is unbelievably slow.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon