Secret Squirrel says Tiered Data for Sprint in Works

njt462

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
A secret source as disclosed that Sprint is already in the works on putting together tiered data plans. Of course when this goes live the $10 "add on" will go away but just thought I would bring the bad news to everyone that Sprint is in the working/thinking stage of this. No prices or usage have been outlined yet just they are kicking around the idea.

Welcome to GREED. I mean America. :)

njt462

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Yes they did say that, but, we all know how business is. Got to make money the sheep will follow in about a year tops.

eze036

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
sprint will stay unlimited for awhile why would they change, thats there advantage over other carriers..if they lose unlimited and theyll lose customers

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I suspect they will stay unlimited for awhile at least. The real answer will appear or not appear on the front pages of Android Central.

Sent from my Sprint EVO using Tapatalk

NMherron

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I stay with Sprint because of unlimited data and the value it brings. If the caps are the same as Verizon, why would I stay? Verizon has much better coverage in my area. If Sprint wants to die a quick and painful death, then I would recommend they embrace tiered data plans. :-!

But I don't suspect this is credible. Sprint knows it's lifeline is unlimited data.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Sprint recently increased fees to cover all smart phones, 4G or not, by $10. This used to be 4G only, but now covers everything. I don't see them moving to tiered plans anytime soon.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I hate the $10 fee, but if it means I keep my data, then I don't care. My Android phone is like a part of me. It's like my child and it's like tearing off my limb when I can't use the features without risking data overage.

I stay with Sprint because of unlimited data and the value it brings. If the caps are the same as Verizon, why would I stay? Verizon has much better coverage in my area. If Sprint wants to die a quick and painful death, then I would recommend they embrace tiered data plans. :-!

But I don't suspect this is credible. Sprint knows it's lifeline is unlimited data.

Exactly. If the CEO is a man of his word and doesn't contradict himself based on his recent rant about the merger, then I don't forsee Sprint ever going tiered data.

zak

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
A tiered data plan doesn't mean that any changes will be made to the unlimited data plan. From a buisness sense adding a lower cost tierd data plan to compete with T-Mobile might not be a bad idea. There are customers who might look at it and think they won't use that much data each month so they're willing to pay $10/20 less a month for limited data use.
Look at it like the unlimited calling plan. It might be a good deal for someone who makes tons of phone calls a month, but for me it makes sense to pay less money for the 450 minute plan when I never run over. If you are on the phone that much that you use over seven and a half hours of anytime minutes, then the extra $20 a month makes sense

pitmasterme

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Sprint has said that they will remain unlimited. So we will have to wait and see what happens.

I seem to remember Sprint saying they weren't going to charge extra for 4g when they were first rolling it out......then they did, and then they expanded the fee to cover all smartphones(which I found funny since on my 4 lines only the line with the EVO had the $10 fee.....)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Well it doesn't matter now. We at least still have data. And that means we can do whatever the hell we want on our phones without having to worry about nasty fees from greedy potbelly Verizon :p

And with this new deal with Lightsquared, things will hopefully improve in terms of coverage and network capacity.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
If Sprint follows Verizon AND tries to shoehorn me into a new, pricier plan, I'll just get a prepaid dumbphone again.

I don't NEED my smart phone. I barely even need a phone.

flipdippy

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Jerry hit the nail on the head during a recent podcast on this topic...Sprint (and VZ) will use other means to get the higher rates on data they want.

Specifically, since data usage is going up while text and voice usage are going down (or people are using other means like BBM or iMessage or GV or SIP), they'll drop the cost on voice/data and raise the cost for data.

Sprint and VZ won't lose that way - they'll be able to say 'hey, for $39 or $49 you're now getting these other things truly unlimited' and there will be now higher fees for the area of growth/demand, which be the data.

So if you look out a year, I expect my $129.99 family plan for 2 lines sharing 1500 minutes and unlimited text plus unlimited data will probably be $129.99 for unlimited voice and text, but a 4 GB shared cap on data. And if I want to buy up to avoid any risk of data overages, it'll probably be $169.99/month for 8 GB data. But Sprint will also advertise the elimination of the $10/line 4G plan.

That's how it will go down. Perceived benefit, but in actuality a rate increase.

NMherron

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Jerry hit the nail on the head during a recent podcast on this topic...Sprint (and VZ) will use other means to get the higher rates on data they want.

Specifically, since data usage is going up while text and voice usage are going down (or people are using other means like BBM or iMessage or GV or SIP), they'll drop the cost on voice/data and raise the cost for data.

Sprint and VZ won't lose that way - they'll be able to say 'hey, for $39 or $49 you're now getting these other things truly unlimited' and there will be now higher fees for the area of growth/demand, which be the data.

So if you look out a year, I expect my $129.99 family plan for 2 lines sharing 1500 minutes and unlimited text plus unlimited data will probably be $129.99 for unlimited voice and text, but a 4 GB shared cap on data. And if I want to buy up to avoid any risk of data overages, it'll probably be $169.99/month for 8 GB data. But Sprint will also advertise the elimination of the $10/line 4G plan.

That's how it will go down. Perceived benefit, but in actuality a rate increase.

Great points. But I will say it again, if Sprint goes to tiered data with costs similar to Verizon, why would I stay with Sprint? The answer is, I won't. And millions will go with me.

Sprint is a great value. Even if it's just a perceived value. I currently only use approx. 5GB a month. However, I am limited using Sprint. Their network isn't everywhere I want to be. Plus, I would like to use my phone even more. But 3G speeds are slowing down on the Sprint network. And we only have 1 4G tower operating in my area. So once Sprint gets their Network Vision plan completed increasing capacity and backhaul, plus blankets most of the places I go with 4G (even if it's LTE), I expect my data usage to double. And that makes unlimited much more attractive.

But if I can't have unlimited, then I will go with better coverage and faster network. Or as mentioned above in this thread, maybe the answer is to have both. I'd pay an additional $10 per month to keep unlimited. Then bring in some less expensive tiered plans for lighter users.

Or how about this...the $10 4G fee they added last year, then changed to all smartphone users...

Maybe make this $10 fee for unlimited use. And for folks who use less data (like 1 or 2GB), they don't have to pay the $10 fee. That would be a much better system! :cool:

cryetter

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I understand what you all are saying about the tiered data. Now for the big question, will they do this to all customers or just the new customers? Because if you already have a plan w/unlimited data such as the plan I have now, and I decide to not switch to their new plan but stay with my old plan what are they gonna do to me....kick me off their network? Uh...that's ok...I'll get a trac phone and live peacefully.....